TX TX - Vidor, near I-10, WhtFem 12-20, 72UFTX (UP4574), Skeletal, previous braces, Jan'84

The body found indicates nothing of a curvature of the spine, I would think that would be something they would mention, since it would be a major identifying factor... Barbara had excellent teeth - not sure if that meant she had braces or not... or if the body found had excellent teeth and so they THINK that means she had braces... The clothes they were wearing was different too... and the locations are so far away... I would guess they are not the same... but it wouldn't hurt to check into it.

The body had been in Texas for a year before it was found; it was decaying.
They suspect her exboyfriend took her. Maybe he took her hostage and drove her to Texas?

"The victim was deceased for at least one year prior to discovery."

Also, "Evidence suggests that she previously wore braces on her teeth."
They wouldn't know if she wore braces or not for sure since the body had been there for at least a year, but they probably mean that she had excellent teeth, which is what the girl who is missing had.

The curvature though would be a distinguishing mark. I wonder if the body found had any spinal marks of if it was run over or what? It having been there a year must make it hard to identify too much?

I think they're in the same ballpark. Worth a look, for sure.

Who knows if a spine curvature would be apparent in a skeleton- especially if all the cartilage had decayed? I don't know that it would be that apparent...

There's alot a forensic anthroplogist can gather from remains- It's possible that the teeth had some of the adhesive from the braces still on them.... that the teeth were stained in such a way that suggested braces... or maybe she took her braces off herself and left some of the back brackets on.

As for the curvature or any type of identifying traits- an examination of the remains may be able to determin that as well- there are anthropologists who spend their life determining how people from ancient times (were talking BC) lived and died- ie: deformities, deficiencies, etc.

It's possible that a full exam was not done, or that the agency hasn't released all of the information.

Just my 2 cents- as an anthropology degree holder! Gotta use that degree somehow!

audrey77 said:
As for the curvature or any type of identifying traits- an examination of the remains may be able to determin that as well- there are anthropologists who spend their life determining how people from ancient times (were talking BC) lived and died- ie: deformities, deficiencies, etc.

It's possible that a full exam was not done, or that the agency hasn't released all of the information.
Yes, I wonder if it was just a cursory examination of "a buncha bones" that were found, KWIM? This was over 20 years ago. I seriously doubt they had a forensic anthropologist in to work the bones. :) A closer look is in order. OP, I would send a note off anyway.

It sounds like it could be. The pictures resemble one another. Also they say the heights are approximate not exact.
Amy

anthrobones said:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/o/opitz_mary.html

http://doenetwork.us/cases/72uftx.html

Age is off slightly. So is the height...JD is between 4'10" and 5'2", Mary is between 5'4" and 5'5". She went missing in 1981. JD was found Jan. 1, 1984 and was dead for at least 1 year.

I didn't search to see if this has been discussed here before, so sorry if there is another thread already on this.

opitz_mary.jpg
72UFTX.jpg
opitz_mary2.jpg

Mary Opitz on right and left, Jane Doe in center.

1. Sketch is close match
2. Hair Color Matches
3. Age Matches
4. Time of disappearance January 1981 is a match because the estimated death of Jane Doe took place at least one year before she was found in January of 1984
5. Both Jane Doe and Mary wore braces.
6. Jane Doe was wearing a white terry cloth shirt, Mary disappeared wearing a white pullover shirt.
7. Mary was 5'4"-5'5", Jane Doe is estimated at 4'10" -5'2". This is a VERY big difference, but I agree with both of you, since both are estimates that may be the reason it doesn't match.
8. Texas is about a days drive from Fort Myers, Florida. Since we know she was abducted (the friend that was with her was later found dead), we don't know where she was taken, and how long she was held. This is a possibility.

I think its a very good match. I strongly urge you to submit it to LE.

I'm not sure about his one. They do look a lot alike, but the heights are off. The braces are what bother me though. If she was kidnapped then why are the braces missing? It's not like the kidnapper would remove her braces. I doubt she would have been held 3 years either, when her friend was found murdered shortly after the kidnapping. You could try though, doesn't hurt.

Gardenmom about the amount of time that elapse. Mary went missing January 1981.

Jane Doe was found in 1984 (that's 3 years), but the estimated time of dead was AT LEAST one year (so that means January 1983, or before).

That's a maximum of a 2 year period between the the abduction and Jane Doe's death (and it could be less).

As for the braces... that is a niggly one. I find it interesting that it says
"
Evidence suggests that she previously wore braces on her teeth" and nothing else about dentals. In case the family ends up reading this I do not wish to expand on this point any further.

I'm sorry, anthrobones, I just checked Doe Network and discovered this match had been submitted and ruled out due to dentals on 11-01-02. I was beginning to think this was a match.

If you are not yet a member of doenetwork.com I suggest you sign up, and go on the members forum where you can do a name or doe case number search to see if a match has been submitted. It saves time. In some cases it is frustrating because they don't give explanations for ruling out matches, or I don't agree, but I am also learning.

This match was ruled out by Texas DPS in 2002 through dentals.

Darn! I thought that was a really good one!

Thank you Gardenmom and Paradise for providing that info.

Good thing I checked this today then. I was going to submit it. Does anyone know where else Wilder went besides Florida? I think Charley Project also meant Australia.

If you are not yet a member of doenetwork.com I suggest you sign up, and go on the members forum where you can do a name or doe case number search to see if a match has been submitted. It saves time. In some cases it is frustrating because they don't give explanations for ruling out matches, or I don't agree, but I am also learning.
Ok. I will go look for the member sign up thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back