1024 users online (225 members and 799 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

KS - Ramon Martinez-Limon, 32, killed in hit & run, Wichita, 10 June 2011

Wichita doctor arrested in connection with Friday's fatal hit-and-run accident (Wichita Eagle)

WICHITA - Investigators arrested a Wichita doctor, Mohammad Sarrafizadeh, on Friday night on suspicion of failing to stop at an injury accident in which a 32-year-old man was killed Friday.

Police say Sarrafizadeh, arrested at his home in the 1500 block of Krug, according to jail records released early this morning, drove for three miles with the man's body on top of his van after crashing into him on Greenwich Road near Douglas early Friday.
    ---
    more at link above with pictures, video

A witness to the crash called 911 and followed the doctor all the way home. According to 911 dispatchers, they got several calls from people who saw the van rolling down the street with a busted windshield and a body on its roof.
    Van kills worker, goes 3 miles with victim on roof (with video)

Oh no...how tragic!
    My book, More Than Just A Pretty Face, about the unidentified photos of Rodney Alcala, will be published in 2017. Please visit and join my Facebook group to get all of the most recent information.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/621913531276073/

Terribly tragic accident involving both parties. My stepfather works with the Dr who hit this man. He said is very out of character for him to do something so horrid. I've also heard that the Dr will not be charged with homicide but they have not yet said what his charges will be. I read on KAKE news that the Dr bonded out on a $2400 bond for the 10% last night.

I don't see alcohol mentioned - to keep driving though after your windshield broke you'd have to be impaired in some way.

ETA - I didn't see 7:15 am probably not alcohol, but an all night shift.

Quote Originally Posted by myownlady View Post
    Terribly tragic accident involving both parties. My stepfather works with the Dr who hit this man. He said is very out of character for him to do something so horrid. I've also heard that the Dr will not be charged with homicide but they have not yet said what his charges will be. I read on KAKE news that the Dr bonded out on a $2400 bond for the 10% last night.
    Hi myownlady, and welcome to WS.

A bit surprised bond was so low - there's failure to stop and render aid, and, well, there's hitting the guy in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie09 View Post
    I don't see alcohol mentioned - to keep driving though after your windshield broke you'd have to be impaired in some way.

ETA - I didn't see 7:15 am probably not alcohol, but an all night shift.
    Certainly possible. But I think panic can impair people as badly as alcohol or drugs. Obviously, the doctor wasn't thinking rationally that nobody could see the broken windshield and the dead man on his hood.

The dead man somehow wound up on the roof of the car.

So perhaps it wasn't as egregious as if the body was right there on the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    The dead man somehow wound up on the roof of the car.

So perhaps it wasn't as egregious as if the body was right there on the hood.
    Sorry. That's what I meant.

But I wouldn't drive around with a broken windshield unless I were out of my mind, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Sorry. That's what I meant.

But I wouldn't drive around with a broken windshield unless I were out of my mind, would you?
    No. The guy must have freaked. Here's all the damage:

The minivan had damage on the driver's side front bumper and headlight assembly. The hood was caved in. The windshield was smashed in — broken through in at least one place and densely cracked.
    ---
    http://www.kansas.com/2011/06/10/188...en-hit-by.html
    The dead man still has not been named. Comments on various Wichita media sites show populace generally enraged, feeling if some average person had done this, bond would be exorbitant and they'd still be behind bars.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    No. The guy must have freaked. Here's all the damage:

The dead man still has not been named. Comments on various Wichita media sites show populace generally enraged, feeling if some average person had done this, bond would be exorbitant and they'd still be behind bars.
    I'm not surprised people are outraged. I don't know how the accident happened and I didn't mean to defend the doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by myownlady View Post
    Terribly tragic accident involving both parties. My stepfather works with the Dr who hit this man. He said is very out of character for him to do something so horrid.

Well, everyone is nice up until they're not. This guy is a bad person. A very bad person. He just didn't have a big chance to show it until now.

If you (or I) would not do this, then you are probably not a bad person in this way. But you must believe that some are. And that you don't necessarily know "what is in the hearts of men."
    TAPU'S BLOG
    Murder in the Hills

Distantly related personal experience:

I hit a cat once. The front of the car swerved over to the left from the force of the impact, and I nearly lost control.

(I stopped of course!)

I never saw the cat before the end, but there was no doubt whatsoever that I had hit something... and it felt like something alive.

You'd have to be near-unconscious drunk not to know you hit somebody given the details of the articles. Even if some details are wrong; some must be right: daytime (a.m.); on way to work; man hit hood then windshield then flew off; windshield crazed; guy turned around and went other way.....

No, this guy may have panicked and pulled a hit-and-run without thinking... but that sort of is what a hit-and-run is all about. Charge him.
    TAPU'S BLOG
    Murder in the Hills

I don't think there is near enough information to call the man that hit the man a bad person. The driver could well have been in shock.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

How did the Dr. know the victim wasn't still alive?

He could have still been alive, but unconscious. Its horrible to think a doctor wouldn't bother to stop and render aid or at least see if the guy was still alive.

There was a doctor in our area a couple of years ago who hit someone and kept driving. He wasn't pulled over until a cop heard the bulletin and stopped him about 15 miles away. The guy claimed he didn't know he hit the man, though his car was badly damaged. He claimed he thought it was a "pothole in the road".

Sadly, the doctor's hospital kept it out of the papers and hired expensive attorneys who got him off with unsupervised probation. Really tragic. Not all doctors are good people.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    I don't think there is near enough information to call the man that hit the man a bad person. The driver could well have been in shock.

How do we figure in all the many many more people who hit and don't run? They're not "in shock"?

What kind of person who does a hit and run is a "bad person," and what kind isn't? I'm not saying that hitting a person makes you a bad person--I'm saying that running off afterward makes you a bad person.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but hit-and-run is right up there on my Bad Behaviors list.

This doctor wasn't under a compulsion to take off. Anyone in this situation could help himself. What possible circumstances ? What acts--incl. being drunk or driving while exhausted--could diminish the responsibility of someone in this situation? Nothing mitigates running off after hitting someone.
    TAPU'S BLOG
    Murder in the Hills

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast