"Basically we are waiting on evidence which was taken up at Dunn to come back from the Dallas computer lab," Mitchell County Sheriff Patrick Toombs told the Colorado City Record.
Law enforcement took computer equipment from a Dunn residence earlier this year. Items seized were shipped to the Dallas FBI lab for testing.
It's been a looooonnnnnggggg wait!!!
Still think of you every day Hailey-Bug!!!!!!!!!!
You are the anchor to my soul, you won't let go ...
How long could it possibly take for the lab results to come back?!!!
I guess this should be encouraging, but I don't want to get my hopes up. This entire case has been devastating and utterly frustrating in so many ways.
“Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn
I guess they didn't exactly put a rush on the results. *sigh*
I'm trying to stay optimistic that an arrest, or more hopefully, arrests, will be made soon. I would love for Hailey to be found before the 6 month anniversary, but the next best thing would be to see Shawn and Billie behind bars.
BD's disgrace is right up there with CA's, imo. I didn't follow CA's case on here, but have watched the trial. For the past two days she has been crying and down trodden.....all I can think about with seeing that is her dancing photos and the expressions on her face then.
I don't think the media or public is ready for the likes of BD & SA if they are ever charged. I want to see no one with a connection in this case make a single cent on dear Hailey's tragedy----nor their faces on the tube ravishing in their 15 mins. Just quietly put them away. JMO
Timeline, map, etc for Rachael
Too bad they waited too long to even attempt to collect forensic evidence for the cars, homes and shoes of possible suspects. The perp had all the time in the world to destroy evidence and clean things up. Now all they have left is "possible" computer evidence. I am not optimistic that anything they find will put the perp or perps behind bars for Hailey's murder.
This crime was totally solveable. We are not dealing with criminal masterminds here.
I am convinced that any hard evidence was gone by the time the Texas Rangers arrived to collect it. Even close-up pics of Shawn's hands, face and upper body would have been very helpful to show presence or absence of scratches. That really is inexcusable.
Unless someone was stupid enough to put directions to the dump site on the computer, I doubt justice will ever be served.
Imo, there are only 3 reasons why no porn charges have been filed:
1. The porn discovered cannot be conclusively proven to include children; could be "barely legal" or those suspected of being under-aged could be masked or their faces could be obscured (hard to tell age if they are developed teens, like Hailey, for example).
2. The porn discovered can be proven to exclude children.
3. There is more than possession suspected and the child pornography case is extensive and involves multiple parties that have to be determined and investigated.
Where is Hailey Darlene Dunn?...
My opinions only, with respect to all those whose opinions differ
I'm not known for my patience and I certainly haven't had any in this case. I wanted arrests the day the cp was found. It's so frustrating to me to see arrests in other cases in the news and know SA is still walking free in the area I live in. I don't want SA and BD to get away with what they've done and I'm starting to worry now that they will. I've seen other cases here where people have gotten away with murder.
Timeline, map, etc for Rachael
Texas is a huge state and Hailey is unfortunately only one of many crime victims, and each case is just as important as any other.
The fact that the Texas Rangers and the FBI are involved might be one problem with this, if they are trying to connecting it to other cases using the porn pictures.
I'm the proud mother of a new attorney!
It's better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. ~ James Thurber
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke
Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense. ~ Mark Twain
I would rather see them take their time and do it right .
I'm not a prude but I would think someone that needs or wants to look at that much pornography has some problems to begin with . That barely legal stuff =CREEPY
Hopefully there will be an arrest or 2 soon .
"Don't pee on my head and tell me it's raining" ~Judge Judy
Revenge is beneath me , but accidents DO happen .
The prosecution has the burden of proving the person in the porn is underaged unless it is patently obvious. Tracking that info down can be very difficult for prosecutors. It's also difficult to prove a negative, that nobody other than Shawn could have downloaded the possible child porn. And the prosecutor has to prove that the child porn wasn't downloaded by accident. If the child porn was found in the slack space of the computer perhaps Shawn could argue that he deleted it when he realized what he had. Obviously that depends on LE being able to pin down when it was downloaded and deleted.
This is frustrating stuff. It's still pains me greatly to think of Somer Thompson. Her murder could have been averted if the computer of her attacker had been processed more quickly. LE had his computer but wasn't ready to arrest him yet when Somer was killed, and he was actually making child porn himself. Just heartbreakingly sad.
There is nothing in the information that has been released so far to suggest that it is part of a larger conspiracy...people who are into that have their own computers and free access to the internet, not computers in the control of someone else in another city and no ready access to the internet.
From the search warrant affidavit, the CP was found in the slack space by the FBI, while the 100k+ porn images were found by the local LE computer expert in the regular file system. So the problems they will face are as follows:
(1) SA was mostly using the computer at the GMs house (according to the affidavit, where it was testified that he used that computer all the time, while no such claim was made regarding the mothers computer), and if that wasn't the one the CP was found on, and instead it was found on one he used less frequently, it would imply that someone other than him was responsible. If SA was responsible there would be extensive collections on all the computers he used, not just one and not one that was least accessible to him.
(2) Most family computers don't have individual user logins set up, certainly not on computers owned by people apparently as tech-ignorant as these folk. So, there would be no record of who downloaded the material. At best they might only know when, and since this would allmost certainly have taken place a long time previously, it would be extremely difficult and probably impossible to prove who was where and when at the time.
(3) The amount of illegal material is probably relatively small and it has been deleted. That would mean that the possibility of accidental download cannot be excluded.
(4) We know from the affidavit that a single image from the GMs house was "suspect" because it appeared similar to images from the mothers house. It was not suspect because the person depicted appeared too young, otherwise the attesting officer would have explicitly said so. That would imply that at least some of the apparent CP images from the mothers house are in the close of age range, and may not actually be CP. So, they would have to track down the person in the image to determine how old they are and when the pictures would be taken. Since the vast majority of the "close of age" type of apparent CP comes from Eastern Europe or Russia, where the law regarding that sort of stuff is vague or non-existant, it is going to be tough to prove anything.
So, that is a lot to do to build a case. If the material is marginal, and they cannot be sure who is responsible, I can see the FBI would not be pushing it as a high priority. There is a sea of CP for them to deal with, and in the big picture the resources required might not be worth the outcome. Being a small case on the periphery of a big case does not make the small case a high priority.
Anyway, time will tell.
Not sure whether to be hopeful or discouraged at what Toombs keeps repeating ...Six Months Later: Still No Word Regarding Missing Colorado City Teen
Rumors have it that Shawn Adkins has moved to Austin with Billie but authorities could not confirm that.
"I can't tell you what all is being done with Shawn. We know where he is," Toombs said.
As for Hailey's father, he has taken a lie detector test and has been cleared by the authorities. The FBI, Texas Rangers, City Police and Sheriff's Office are still working to find answers.
"It's taken a lot more work other than pictures on a computer. The investigator is having to go through there because you got a house that several people are in the house and have access to that computer so we are having to do times and dates which is taking a long time," Mitchell County Sheriff, Patrick Toombs, said.
"We want this case to come to a close but we are just having to wait on some of the information. We are waiting on some things to be developed. We still have some stuff at the FBI lab in Dallas that we are waiting on," Toombs said.
Authorities will continue working on the case and hope to have a closure in the coming months.
You are the anchor to my soul, you won't let go ...