879 users online (121 members and 758 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

KS - Lake Shawnee, Human remains in submerged car, Jun'11 - Leonard Jordan

http://www.ksnt.com/news/local/story...lg5Y74jeA.cspx

Shawnee Heights fire, Shawnee County Park Police and Deputies with the Shawnee County Sheriff's Office are still on the scene investigating. Detectives along with a coroner are sifting through the car lifted out of the lake near the Shawnee Yacht club around 1 P.M. Deputies say the car appears to have been submerged for an extended amount of time, and contains the remains of at least one human adult.
    <modsnip article>
    Last edited by JBean; 06-13-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: copyright
    --Jennifer

Another article: http://cjonline.com/news/2011-06-11/...e#.TfU3x1uU1XY

A vehicle containing the remains of at least one person was pulled Saturday from Lake Shawnee, where it appeared the car had been submerged for an extended period of time, authorities said.

Shawnee County sheriff's Lt. Phil Higdon said Shawnee County coroners had been able to verify at least one set of adult human remains as of 7:30 p.m. The person's gender couldn't immediately be determined, he said.

The case, Higdon said, was being investigated as "suspicious in nature."

Described as an older model Oldsmobile, the vehicle emerged from the murky depths of the lake about 1 p.m. Crews began going through the vehicle, Higdon said, and discovered what appeared to be human remains.

<Mod Snip article>
    Last edited by JBean; 06-13-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: copyright please copy only 10% of article
    --Jennifer

Map of Lake Shawnee (Vehicle found near Yacht Club)

I see only two persons listed missing from Shawnee KS. One is a 5-year old child (Jackie Dene Hay).

The other is Tabitha Diane Brewer
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...r_tabitha.html

She looks pretty doubtful though. I don't see, given the circumstances of her disappearance, how she would end up in a lake in a car with Wisconsin plates.

"The opinion prevailed among advanced minds that it was time that belief should be replaced increasingly by knowledge; belief that did not itself rest on knowledge was superstition, and as such had to be opposed." - Albert Einstein

One more that may have had Wisconsin plates:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ght=Oldsmobile
    "The opinion prevailed among advanced minds that it was time that belief should be replaced increasingly by knowledge; belief that did not itself rest on knowledge was superstition, and as such had to be opposed." - Albert Einstein

So sad....I used to live there. I imagine that the vehicle held a person from Wisconsin. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds....
    My book, More Than Just A Pretty Face, about the unidentified photos of Rodney Alcala, will be published in 2017. Please visit and join my Facebook group to get all of the most recent information.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/621913531276073/

Quote Originally Posted by norest4thewicked View Post
    So sad....I used to live there. I imagine that the vehicle held a person from Wisconsin. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds....
    I also used to live there just a few miles away, and had a co-worker who lived at this lake area, so I have been there many times. While the area is not difficult to reach from I 70 which is a major east/west traffic route, it is not an area that one would just happen upon either. As you can tell from the map there is a roadway that encircles the lake, but a limited number of access points to and from that road. Most of the homes were somewhat upscale back in the 80's when I lived in the area. Many new home sites were being built in the area at that time, so a large number of construction workers and delivery people would have been in and out of the area besides just residents and guests.

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by norest4thewicked View Post
    I was actually considering that there may be stolen plates on the vehicle, so I didn't want to rule anyone out based on the plate alone.

Yes...anything is possible.
    My book, More Than Just A Pretty Face, about the unidentified photos of Rodney Alcala, will be published in 2017. Please visit and join my Facebook group to get all of the most recent information.

Exclamation Body found in car pulled from Lake Shawnee Topeka, KS

possible Wisconson Plates.... here is the link.. just fyi...

http://cjonline.com/news/2011-06-11/...d-lake-shawnee

A vehicle containing the remains of at least one person was pulled Saturday from Lake Shawnee, where it appeared the car had been submerged for an extended period of time, authorities said.

Shawnee County sheriff's Lt. Phil Higdon said Shawnee County coroners had been able to verify at least one set of adult human remains as of 7:30 p.m. The person's gender couldn't immediately be determined, he said.

<modsnip>

Described as an older model Oldsmobile, the vehicle emerged from the murky depths of the lake about 1 p.m. <modsnip>

"It's pretty difficult because there's so much mud and silt that's in the vehicle," Higdon said.

<modsnip>

The car had been discovered a few months ago by the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks. <modsnip>

The car was pulled from the lake near an area where a paved road leads from the Shawnee Yacht Club parking lot to the edge of the lake.
    Last edited by Salem; 06-13-2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: snipped for copyright - only 10% allowed + link, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by little726 View Post
    If you read the narratives on their cases, they don't match this scenario.

The article JDuMo linked to has a photo of the car, and although the vehicle is in bad shape and the view of it is obscured by the police tape, there's a section of the grille sitting below the bumper. A few Oldsmobile models that appear to have this type of grille are certain generations of the 98, the Cutlass Supreme and the Vista Cruiser.
    <-- Watched one too many Hanna-Barbera "teenage detective" cartoons as a kid.

Although the paint is missing from portions of the car, from the news video, the car appears to be white or light gray or perhaps silver, 4 doors.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast