1161 users online (162 members and 999 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TX - Caroline Harte, 14, Mustang Island, 24 July 1969

http://www.johndouglasmindhunter.com...ic.php?p=58154

Updated: 07/24/2009 08:03:08 AM PDT

PORT ARANSAS, Texas — Hours after two 14-year-old girls closed the cover on a novel they were reading during a sleepover, slipped into twin beds and turned off the lights, one girl's cry sent the other to wake her sleeping parents.

The events of that night, July 24, 1969, on Mustang Island have baffled investigators for 40 years. One girl died, and it so haunted her friend that it may have led her to kill herself decades later.

Genevieve Duncan met her daughter May on the stairs of the two-story beach house. May said the cry came from her friend, Caroline Harte. The mother heard a door slam, and found a terrifying sight downstairs: Caroline was gasping and bleeding on the bed, suffering from a stab wound to the heart. By the time they dressed to take her to a hospital, Caroline was dead.

The case is the oldest unsolved slaying in Nueces County, which includes Corpus Christi along the Texas Gulf Coast. The knife was never found. No motive was clear and no arrests were ever made.

Caroline's father, then-publisher of the San Antonio Express and Evening News, had an unsettling premonition after his brother, Edward, then publisher of the Corpus Christi Caller-Times, called to relay the news. "Sometimes, as we walked around in shock, I remember thinking to myself: This is a crime that will never be solved," said Houston Harte, whose father was a founder of Harte-Hanks Newspapers Inc.

"And I was right about that."

===========================================
    Last edited by portia311; 06-13-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Here's a link to that article; it does have a couple pictures along with it:

Port Aransas murder still mystery 40 years later (Corpus Christi Caller-Times)

Fascinating story.

Thank you. I have been looking for info on this case for quite some time. I first came across her name when I was reading an old news paper my grandfather saved, from July 25, 1969. I was reading about the astronauts coming home from the moon. Well off to the side I see a photo of a beautiful girl, then read about her murder. It saddened me very deeply. She was only 14 years old. So I looked up the case and everything I see is the same. So I wanted to post her photo, as I can not find any more of her, so I can put a face to this young girl. I dont want her to he just some name on a page, so to speak.. mt problem... im mobile. I don't have a computer. How can this be done?

Welcome to WS Portia!!!!!

Copyright infringement laws require that we reproduce no more than 10% of any news article, and then provide a link to the source.

if you look on the bottom right corner of your original post, you will see an edit button. Would you edit the post down to the 10% you want to highlight please?

Thank you!
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Welcome to WS, by the way, portia311. I'm surprised I had never heard about the case - I lived in San Antonio for eight years and thought I pretty well knew the mysteries of that part of the world.

Not a mobile person so I'm not sure how one would go about it. I'll look for more stuff on the case on my PC and if I find anything I'll post links.

I cannot find any photographs of the murdered girl.
    What a terrible crime...
    England's dancing days are done...

A couple of articles from 1969-70 about the case can be found here.

Thank you all very much! I'll try to downsize my first post. I'm from south Texas so this hits very close to home for me. I have two daughters so it disturbs me to see things like this.

Thank you for bringing the focus back to Caroline, Portia!
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

WOW thank you for those links!!

Quote Originally Posted by portia311 View Post
    WOW thank you for those links!!
    You're welcome. Unfortunately, though, they're the only ones I can find - three articles from 1969 and one from 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    Thank you for bringing the focus back to Caroline, Portia!

Thank you for taking the time to read about her. I pray there is justice for Caroline..

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    You're welcome. Unfortunately, though, they're the only ones I can find - three articles from 1969 and one from 1970.
    Well that's more than I could find! Lol. Awesome work. I can't find a way to upload Caroline's photo from my phone.. so ill post her picture as my default so she has a face

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast