Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #4

http://abcnews.go.com/US/lauren-spie...ry?id=13824266

This article says that sex offenders were all checked...
    Just my opinion, of course.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Janeumayer View Post
    Can I ask for a HUGE Favor? I am still confused with the street names. Wondering if someone can kindly volunteer and number BTOWN's pics and put the numbers on a map? Really, really would help.
    I'm working on a map now. I'll try to reference it back to Btown's photos. Let me see what I can come up with.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Janeumayer View Post
    Can someone pin point where the Hill is? TIA
    RSBM
    The "Hill" is known as pigeon hill.

Its the USDA HUD housing section. You know, government housing for folks that can't afford to ...

Its literally the wrong side of the tracks for Lauren, and not far away.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=39.1743055...1&z=16&l=0&m=h

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Btown For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bessie View Post
    I'm working on a map now. I'll try to reference it back to Btown's photos. Let me see what I can come up with.
    I'm also going to work on updating my map, when I'm finished uploading the pics of College Ave.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Btown For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/lauren-spie...ry?id=13824266

This article says that sex offenders were all checked...
    Did they check out just the ones in Bloomington? What about Ellettsville? Or the entire county, or even in the adjacent counties?

Would not be a stretch for someone to live in a town elsewhere in the county or one county over to travel to Bloomington if they were looking to harm a young girl.

The reason I have been asking about the dumpsters as most of you know is a quick and easy way to dispose of a body.Rather than taking the chance to drive somewhere with a body in the car and risk DNA evidence.I hope I am so wrong as I am writing this down

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inspector Gidget For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Did they check out just the ones in Bloomington? What about Ellettsville? Or the entire county, or even in the adjacent counties?

Would not be a stretch for someone to live in a town elsewhere in the county or one county over to travel to Bloomington if they were looking to harm a young girl.
    The window of opportunity would have to be pretty small for any sex offender to be able to grab her and not be on camera.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Re: The Hill (it's actually called Crestmont). Here's a map from there to where LS was last seen (if this works...I'm not terribly tech savvy)

http://mapq.st/jdXArH

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Surly Sasha For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    The window of opportunity would have to be pretty small for any sex offender to be able to grab her and not be on camera.
    I agree, but not impossible. Even if I thought one of the POIs was the one, LE should still look at every possibility.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ven For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Btown View Post
    The "Hill" is known as pigeon hill.

Its the USDA HUD housing section. You know, government housing for folks that can't afford to ...

Its literally the wrong side of the tracks for Lauren, and not far away.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=39.1743055...1&z=16&l=0&m=h
    Why has no one expressed any surprise that she would walk alone at 4am, if there are dubious areas nearby? Is it just the invincibility of youth? I haven't even heard her parents wonder about this.
    Just my opinion, of course.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

@Btown

Its an old cell phone.

Are you kidding me.Then I assume you have taken photography or are one.Because those pics are incredible

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inspector Gidget For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Sasha View Post
    I'd say that's a great assessment.

What I don't understand is the BPD took a lot of heat during the Jill Behrman case. It took three years to find her body (and that was pure luck). Many don't believe Myers killed her. A lot of money was wasted draining Salt Creek.

You would think that they'd come with their A game to investigate this, if for no other reason than to redeem themselves in the public eye.
    Guys, Its a rural community. They don't have the resources to stage this type of investigation like, say, New York City or Chicago.

They are mostly set up to catch drunk drivers, speeders, petty theft, domestic disturbance, and keep the students from all out anarchy, IMO. Mostly, they keep things out of the news as much as possible.

Google Crystal Grubb.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Btown For This Useful Post:

I'm also going to work on updating my map, when I'm finished uploading the pics of College Ave.
    Then I won't duplicate your efforts. It's all yours.

But seriously, if there's anything I can do to help out or facilitate the process, please let me know.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

Why has no one expressed any surprise that she would walk alone at 4am, if there are dubious areas nearby? Is it just the invincibility of youth? I haven't even heard her parents wonder about this.
    From what we've been told by posters who are in the area, female students on campus frequently walk alone at night.
    Doesn't seem smart to me either.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Downtown most people walk. Cars are a pain there.
    Its a nice community in that area. The students are gathered in that area almost exclusively. There is little to fear. Few are armed, and look at you like your a loon if you are. Its really safe.

Most of the time...

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Btown For This Useful Post:

Guys, Its a rural community. They don't have the resources to stage this type of investigation like, say, New York City or Chicago.

They are mostly set up to catch drunk drivers, speeders, petty theft, domestic disturbance, and keep the students from all out anarchy, IMO. Mostly, they keep things out of the news as much as possible.

Google Crystal Grubb.
    That's sure what it looks like to me.
    Because after all this time, they don't appear to know much more than we do. Hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bessie View Post
    Then I won't duplicate your efforts. It's all yours.

But seriously, if there's anything I can do to help out or facilitate the process, please let me know.
    No, please feel free. As I'm sure you've figured out, I'm not really good at that.

Google Crystal Grubb.
    Ah, Crystal Grubb.

Now there's a lesson in socioeconomic disparity, the difference between that investigation and this one.

Still, they know who killed Crystal.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surly Sasha For This Useful Post:

Or better yet why would a guy friend let her walk alone? I think if you are messed up drunk or stoned then fear leaves you and you don't think about it.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspector Gidget For This Useful Post:

Jill Behrman was abducted and murdered in 2000.
    Crystal Grubbs 2010.
    Lauren Spierer missing 2011.

That's a 10 year gap ... I wonder if anyone living in the area went to jail in 2000-2002 and was released after 2008?

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ven For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Gidget View Post
    @Btown

Its an old cell phone.

Are you kidding me.Then I assume you have taken photography or are one.Because those pics are incredible
    Thanks, Nope, not kidding. I maybe learned a little tiny bit from a friend back in the late '70's taking pics of the IU ball games and learning to develop them by hand.

Those were the days...

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Gidget View Post
    Or better yet why would a guy friend let her walk alone? I think if you are messed up drunk or stoned then fear leaves you and you don't think about it.
    I remember late night parties at a friend's apartment by College Mall when I was Lauren's age and we would randomly decide to wobble over to Taco Bell, which is at least as far as Lauren was going. Just as dark. Alone.

I shudder to remember it. I can't judge this girl. I was just as careless when she was when I was her age. Maybe that's part of the reason why I feel so emotionally involved in her disappearance. There by the grace of God go I.

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Surly Sasha For This Useful Post:

I'm not familar with the area at all...but

If she called "Rohn" at 4:15 to check on her phone' is it possible that she might have tried to walk back to Kilroy's to see if someone was still there cleaning up? I read somewhere that they close around 3:00am. If she was under the influence, maybe she tried wandering back to the bar. I have no idea where Kilroy's is in relation to the last street she was walking on. From the last street she was walking on to Kilroys, what is the distance, and what would you walk past to get to Kilroys? Sorry, if that is confusing, but I can't remember the last street she would have been walking on after JR saw her for the last time...she walked to the corner and then turned down another street? I think

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Whatever1 For This Useful Post:

If she was going back to Kilroys she either could have crossed College, walking on 11th, and turned south on Walnut. From there it's maybe two blocks. Maybe three.

It's dark that way so it seems unlikely that would have been her route, which means she would have turned to walk south on College and then crossed over at the intersection of 10th (where Salzmann's office and Waffle House is) or at the next block. However, that way is littered with broken beer bottles and she had no shoes on so that seems unlikely too. Either way she would have ended up on a camera.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Surly Sasha For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Sasha View Post
    Inspector Gidget, that's a good question. I think that it's certainly a possibility. They would have been nearby. She was a drunken, blonde, young college girl who was vulnerable. As someone mentioned, the homeless population often has higher levels of addiction and mental illness then the general population.

During the last search that I was a part of they sent me to People's Park, which is a little area off of Kirkwood and Dunn, several blocks from Smallwood, to hand out fliers (to give google mappers an idea, I was right across the street from Kilroy's on Kirkwood). Ever since I was a kid (and surely before) it's been a place where homeless people hang out, people deal pot, etc. Several of the street people, as they walked by, stopped to mention their concern for her, that a girl could be right downtown and simply vanish. It seemed to me that they were unnerved that such a thing could happen--if someone with a privelaged life could disappear without a trace what could happen to a random street person who sleeps in the woods?

My gut says no. I would be more willing to think that someone leaving the Hill would have snagged her.
    Can you elaborate a little more on where "the Hill" is? And is it a building? A corner? A park? etc.

ETA: nevermind. Didn't see the posts above. Thank you.
    Last edited by mrsu; 06-14-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast