CM:We don't have any obligation to put on a defense -JP:"Y'all lied to me

MADJGNLAW

Reaction score
:maddening: Oh my I just don't know where to start. What is going on here, will Casey get a mistrial?
Bombshell! CM: We don't have any obligation to put on a defense.They want Judge Perry to tell the jury!

Could mean that the jury will start deliberating over the weekend?

I was listening in on WESH.com while the side bar was going on today at 1PM and what I heard makes me wonder if this is all a ploy for a mistrial? Now, this is not verbatim to what was really said..but thanks to ThinkTank, jmfstl, and little_miss_smart for posting the links we can all read for ourselves
what was really said.

Here is how I heard it, That CM told the judge yesterday that he wanted the judge to tell the jury that the defense did not have to present any kind of defense/testimony/witness?

That they did not have to say anything at all? Then the reporter said that judge Perry told the defense that he did not believe anything from the defense that they are liars!? That they had told him that they did have a defense and now they are lying...

Could this cause a mistrial? Casey looks mighty happy.
I know what I heard and my husband heard it to..anyone else hear this and more?

"Snip" Originally Posted by jmfstl
Not sure if this has been posted yet. It is the sidebar from yesterday when HHJP said the DT will be putting on a CIC and CM gets upset.

http://211.43.148.137/10001/854A7/UN...N_00000051.3gp

And I got the information from here

MikeDeForest6 Mike DeForest
Judge Perry to #CaseyAnthony lawyers: "Y'all lied to me" and "I can't trust one thing your side says anymore " http://ow.ly/1tLSpk

"Snip"ThinkTank

working link:
http://211.43.148.137/10001/854A7/UNKNOWNLSN_00000051.3gp

also
http://ow.ly/1tLSpk

link to the full 5-page sidebar transcript
http://www.clickorlando.com/download/2011/0614/28230782.pdf

link to the video report about the sidebar transcript
http://www.clickorlando.com/video/28227726/index.html

little_miss_smart

http://211.43.148.137/10001/854A7/UNKNOWNLSN_00000051.3gp

Judge Perry sure is fed up with the DT

Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to the defense. I think they have set her up for appeal on not getting proper defense. Granted I believe 100% she is guilty but this trial is just crazy IMO.

I asked this in another thread so I'm sorry for the repost but I'm dying for an answer....
Probably a dumb question and it may have been asked in another thread but I'm throwing it out anyway...

What did HHJBP mean when he said (not once, but twice during the side bar); "if you don't do that, then I will fall on the sword and do it"??

What is exactly would he do? "Falling on a sword" typically means sacrificing yourself for another - I cannot imagine he'd sacrifice himself for either side (especially not the defense).

OMG what's next with this DT?! They blow my mind! Certainly HHJBP will not allow this? Hmm question for the legal eagles maybe?

Holy Cow! Just read the side bar transcript...all I can say is, WOW - The fact that HHJP now (if not a LONG TIME ago) knows them to be <untruthful, unusual> people. (Trying to stay on TOS)...Just WOW!

GA said this very, very early on; No body no case, No evidence no case.
(I am not quoting him verbatim).

Everything I have seen or read it seems like a very weak case and it looks like a miss-trial to me. AT THIS POINT.

IMHO - GA did mastery clean up and I have said this from the start.
KC should call him father of the year - instead she crucified him.

I asked this in another thread so I'm sorry for the repost but I'm dying for an answer....
Probably a dumb question and it may have been asked in another thread but I'm throwing it out anyway...

What did HHJBP mean when he said (not once, but twice during the side bar); "if you don't do that, then I will fall on the sword and do it"??

What is exactly would he do? "Falling on a sword" typically means sacrificing yourself for another - I cannot imagine he'd sacrifice himself for either side (especially not the defense).

Respectfully quote: He would have to face the jury and eat his words (about the DT putting on evidence, how many days, etc)...And cannot mention this little exchange (side bar) with them and blame the DT. Hence, he is the fall guy...

OMG this transcript was hilarious!!!:floorlaugh:

What HHJP meant by "falling on the sword" is that he is willing to embarrass himself in front of the jury by saying, "I know I told you guys that the defense would be presenting evidence but I was wrong, it was my mistake alone, the defense has no such obligation and I misunderstood, blah blah blah."

GA said this very, very early on; No body no case, No evidence no case.
(I am not quoting him verbatim).

Everything I have seen or read it seems like a very weak case and it looks like a miss-trial to me. AT THIS POINT.
IMHO - GA did mastery clean up and I have said this from the start.
KC should call him father of the year - instead she crucified him.

Sadly, I agree with you on this.

What I take from the sidebar is that the Judge has been very much trying not to inconvenience the jury as far as planning goes, and in doing so he has mentioned "The Defense Case" when in fact the burden of proof is on the State and the Defense doesnt have to put on anything. Of course, there is that little matter of promising things in the opening statement, but I digress. The defense is simply wanting a curative instruction so that the jury doesn't begin thinking that the Defense has to put anything on ... and much as I dislike the DT I agree that these comments could be viewed on appeal as "burden shifting" on to the defense. No one on the State side (at least) wants to try this thing more than one time!

Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to the defense. I think they have set her up for appeal on not getting proper defense. Granted I believe 100% she is guilty but this trial is just crazy IMO.

that's what i've always thought, that she'll get an appeal b/c her attorneys suck.

I'm very concerned by this since it looks like the DT is trying to pull a fast one and go for a mistrial.
Can someone please explain the implications of this transcript?

I just don't see how the defense could not put on a defense after their opening statement they made.

OMG this transcript was hilarious!!!:floorlaugh:

What HHJP meant by "falling on the sword" is that he is willing to embarrass himself in front of the jury by saying, "I know I told you guys that the defense would be presenting evidence but I was wrong, it was my mistake alone, the defense has no such obligation and I misunderstood, blah blah blah."

Thank you!!!! That scenario would be unfortunate on so many levels...

I cannot imagine the amount of (insert your censored word of choice) that runs down hill and hits the gigantic windmill at the bottom - IF HHJB is placed in that position....

The defense has demonstrated repeatedly that they have no intention of either following trial procedures or acting in good faith. Were this a lesser judge they would have waked all over him/her.

What exactly is CM's goal? He wants the judge to say they don't have to put on a defense when they plan on putting on a defense?

What exactly is CM's goal? He wants the judge to say they don't have to put on a defense when they plan on putting on a defense?

Exactly. To a layman that statement by the judge might sound as if the pros has done a poor job of putting on a case, and remember, all they are looking for here is one gullible juror.

Exactly. CM tries to bulldoze HHJP and "explain himself" to the jury when the defense has assured the judge that they are not going to rest but to put on a case in chief. Doing something like this might make the jury look at HHJP with less respect and he could "lose face". I LOVE that he refuses to be bulldozed by the likes of Mason and Baez. #EPIC FAIL

Presumably he took on this case to make his name as a defense attorney. If he wins, he's brilliant. If he loses, well, it was perhaps unwinnable, anyway.
BUT- if he loses and it becomes a case of improper or inadequate defense, then he will have a horrible reputation and his career will be ruined.

Why would he sacrifice his career for ICA? If he can't win her freedom with a brilliant defense, why would he care if she spends the rest of her life in prison?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back