GUILTY MA - Michael Colono, 18, stabbed to death, Cambridge, 12 April 2003

CW

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have been following this trial from start to finish on court tv.
I believe Pring-Wilson is guilty but due to be raised by a very wealthy family vs the victiam being from a poor background. Michael Colonos brother had devoted this website to his brother ...

http://www.michaelcolono.com/index6.html

I think the jury has been deliberating for over two days now!! How frustrating!! :behindbar

yes they sure have and it was said but we know how that goes with the TH they were saying they believed that since the jury asked for the delibations to be stopped yesterday so that they could go home the TH thought it might be because they have come to a verdict and wanted to sleep on it and come back today with a verdict but it's not happend so far today.

I read on CourtTV.com that the jury wanted the "self defense" definition and instructions for same to be reiterated to them. From Courttv.com:

In Massachusetts, homicide by reason of self-defense is justifiable, but it must meet three elements. First, jurors must consider Pring-Wilson's mental state. They need to consider whether he reasonably believed he was in imminent danger of suffering serious bodily harm or death, and that the only way to save himself was to use his knife.

He also must have exhausted any "reasonable alternative means of escape." The judge pointed out that "this rule does not impose an absolute duty to retreat," meaning that, in the 70 seconds — according to cellphone records — the men's paths crossed, Pring-Wilson may not have believed that he could run or walk away to escape.

The final element to justify self-defense is that the defendant must have used "no more force than is necessary to defend himself." This factor may be the biggest challenge for jurors to agree on, given the force necessary to puncture the victim's right ventricle. However, according to witness testimony, no one, not even the victim, was aware at first that Colono had been fatally stabbed.

If jurors have any reasonable doubt about whether Pring-Wilson acted in self-defense, they must choose acquittal. Prosecutors must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that at least one of the three elements needed for self-defense is absent.

The jury may be trying to rule out self defense to get that out of the way before they try to agree on the "degree" of the offense.

I know that you know so much more then myself and it's great to hear a attorneys opinion on this thank you for this information it makes me feel alittle more at ease.Because I can truly understand their pain and sorrow being up against the murder who's family has alot of money and don't ever take me wrong because I highly repect attorneys one of my dearest friends was a defense attorney who specialized in first degree murder cases and then he became a federal denfense attorney he is the one who pushed me into going into school to take my paralegal courses and i worked on cases with him and I lost him alittle over a year ago to cancer and it just broke my heart because he have been friends for 29 years..And he was one of the best attorneys in NW Indiana and he always found good in everyone and even when he worked as a part time public defender he gave them his all just as he did his clients in his private practice.

WindChime, I'm sorry about your friend's passing. I'll bet his days in the federal public defender's office were very interesting!!! They get some really good cases there.

I just checked Court TV's website and there's nothing new to report. Hopefully today, they'll come back with their verdict!!

penalty phase and sentencing today, live on Court TV....the judge has a lot of latitude here.

lisafremont said:
What are the possibilities?

Alexander Pring-Wilson, 26, appeared emotionless as the verdict was read Thursday. He faces up to 20 years in prison when sentenced later in the day, but could receive as little as probation. From CourtTV

would found guilty of 1st degree Manslaughter justice was served for Michael Colono and his family and loved ones. My heart also aches for Ping-Wilsons family as well his parents did what any family would for their child and you can greive and pain in their eyes and the family is speaking in the sentencing phase and in the end it will be up to the judge of his sentence not his family.

thank you for your kind words you are so right, Dan was the cheif federal public defender in his office and ohh.were their some very interesting cases at that level. Dan started out in the South Bend office and they built a new office in Hammond if you are ever in the Hammond, Indiana Federal Public Defender building you will see a beautiful bench with Dan's name and a pic and his achievements in his honor.

formerly known as walpole state prison, cedar junction is the mass. max security prison. it's where the boston strangler ( albert desalvo) was murdered in the infirmary.

I've been watching this case for a few weeks and heard the verdict today.
What are the chances of him getting out sooner. Anyone know?
Edited to add........why in the world was he even carrying a knife. My son know's that area well and say's it not that bad an area. Course he hasn't been there in 10 years.
xxxxxxxxxoooooooooooo
mama

Though granted new trial, Harvard student far from being cleared

Alexander Pring-Wilson was granted a July 1 release from prison on $400,000 bond.
By Lisa Sweetingham
Court TV

Former Harvard grad student Alexander Pring-Wilson will be released from prison Friday. But he's not going home anytime soon, and with a lengthy appeals process and retrial ahead, he is far from being home-free.

Pring-Wilson was convicted last year in the stabbing death of a Cambridge, Mass., teenager. He was granted a new trial Friday by Middlesex Superior Court Judge Regina Quinlan based on a recent higher court decision that allows defendants who claim self-defense in murder trials to bring in evidence about the victim's alleged history of violence.

On Monday, Quinlan ordered the 27-year-old to be released July 1 from Bay State Correctional Center on $400,000 bail. His pending freedom has a few conditions.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/pring-wilson/062705_ctv.html

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=91858

Just nine months after being sent to the state lockup to serve a sentence for killing Michael Colono, the father of a then 3-year-old girl, Pring-Wilson is expected to walk out of his cell as early as Friday on $400,000 bail as he awaits a new trial.

Upon release, Pring-Wilson will be prohibited from traveling out of state and will be required to wear an electronic monitoring device. Parker said his mother was upset that her son will not be able to return home to Colorado.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=91858

A state judge rejected a request by lawyers for the former Harvard University graduate student to be freed on modest bail or on his own recognizance and be allowed to go home to Colorado. Instead, Middlesex Superior Court Judge Regina L. Quinlan reinstated bail conditions in place during his first trial, ordering Pring-Wilson to stay in Massachusetts and give up his passport.

Pring-Wilson's mother, Cynthia Pring, a former Colorado Springs prosecutor, wept after Quinlan rebuffed the request to let her son return to Colorado Springs.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma.../06/28/high_bail_includes_remaining_in_state/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back