Identified! NV - West Reno, Human skeletal remains, Jun'11 - David Williams

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
RENO--Authorities are trying to identify the person whose body remains were found by a hiker in West Reno.

Tuesday morning, at about 11am a subject was hiking in the area of Mayberry Dr. and Plateau Rd. when he came across a few bones, which appeared to be human. He marked the spot with his handheld GPS and directed officers to his location.

RPD detectives responded and conducted a preliminary search of the area, locating additional bones and other personal items, all of which appeared to have been there for quite some time.

Read More:
http://www.foxreno.com/11at11/28260633/detail.html

Right in my backyard, figuratively, I'm on this one. I'd be willing to bet it is a homeless person with no foul play. We just finished up a real long winter.

Here are a few recent Reno MP's:

Clyde Goodson
goodson_clyde.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/goodson_clyde.html

Jennifer Raylee Casper-Ross
casper-ross_jennifer.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/casper-ross_jennifer.html

Alvin Bradshaw
bradshaw_alvin.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bradshaw_alvin.html

There were a few others, but their vehicles were found outside of Reno, or there was other evidence that they left the Reno area.

Charlie, do you see a lot of homeless down there in the winter? Doesn't seem a likely place for them to hang out. Nothing around there, no real shelter.

I hike down there a lot, off Woodland by the river, then head in the other direction up to the Steamboat Ditch Trail. But I did walk down Aspen Glen a couple days ago, and thought it would have been a pretty good place to dump a body. It's fairly secluded, only four or five home there, but closer to the river and tucked back off the road in trees and landscaping. I did see one home that had security cameras all over.

On the left as you turn onto Aspen Glen, is a very steep hillside that towers above the road with Plateau Drive at the top. The hillside is undeveloped and covered in tall weeds, sagebrush and trees.

If you're over that way fishing, check it out. I imagine it's pretty dark at night as well. Can't recall seeing street lights. And it would be quiet, no real traffic, especially at night, since it dead ends at the river. Alot more secluded than Mayberry. I don't think vehicles are even allowed on Aspen Glen, only foot and bicycle traffic.

What do you think about the chances that a lot of people in Reno know about Aspen Glen? When you fish, do you fish at the end of Aspen Glen by the pedestrian bridge? I've been living three miles away and hiking around here for over ten years and didn't know that you can walk down Aspen Glen to the river. I'm guessing people who fish, walk dogs and hike would be most likely to know about Aspen Glen.

Since you've been to the area, love to hear your take on this.

Well I do fish right by the bridge, there's a deep hole there. But also you do have to remember the surrounding areas. About 7 miles out is Verdi and in summer time, from what I have seen, it isn't uncommon for the homeless to sleep along the river all the way out into sparks. From how they said the bones had been there awhile who knows, it could be from last summer or 10 summers ago.
The area is a mix of industrial and suburban, during the day I get the feeling it can be very secluded. Even when I fish I always bring someone with me because despite the businesses and homes. I wouldn't want to be alone out there.
I've never even been out there at night, but maybe I should take a drive one of these nights when I'm off work.

Good point! The media reports that LE is asking for information regarding the remains, so you would think they would publicize what they found to assist the public in that. I wonder what type of items they found?

Interesting that the area creeps you out, Charlie.

I was thinking of taking a drive over there and walking around. Anyone local care to join me?

The reason I got interested in this case is, about two or three years ago a friend and I were hiking in an area just off the E. Verdi exit across the road from that turn-out where people fish in the Truckee River, (Charlie, you may know this spot). About a mile in, we found a big pile of belongings dumped in a small gully about seventy five feet from the path/dirt road. It was high summer so it hadn't rained and I could tell a lot of the clothing was clean and new-- not garbage or something a woman would likely throw away-- spotlessly clean, nearly new white bras, for example. Everything from underwear to outwear. As soon as I saw it, I got a bad feeling. It looked as if someone packed it all up, drove it out there and dumped it. Besides clothing, there were bed linens including a blanket, a few knick knacks and a couple framed pictures, a set of curtains... miscellaneous items like that. Even if someone did want to get rid of it, why drive it way out there? The dirt road from the E. Verdi exit is very rough; can't be driven without a 4 x 4 even when dry. The more we looked through the stuff, the worse it felt. There was a huge brown stain on the beige blanket, but it had been laundered and was otherwise clean. Everything was still clean and obviously the meager belongings of someone who took care of the few things she owned... the point being: none of it looked like garbage.

As soon as we got home, I phoned the county Sheriff's Department and reported it. The man who took the call didn't seem interested in the least, didn't ask for very precise directions to the spot. Anyway, I've been watching the news for reports of human remains found in this area ever since. I have no idea if LE ever checked out that pile of belongings and I doubt they did. The next time we went back there, a sign had been posted at the road-- private property-- so I have no idea what ever became of those belongings, but it has bugged me ever since when I thought about it.

Yikes, SierraStorm. I hope those belongings were just the result of a jilted lover "evicting" a former partner from his home and not something more sinister. I could see someone discovering some cheating had taken place and throwing everything that reminded him of his ex, including photos, out of the house. Let's hope the blanket stain wasn't significant, either. It seems unusual they would take the time to wash it, only to dump it with the rest and not bother to set fire to it.

That said, I'm more curious about this case than ever.

What creeps me out is the fact there are plenty of homes and businesses, but even in the middle of the day it is deathly quiet. I think cause the nearby warehouses are a kind of buffer from the noise railroad/river/4th street make.

Sierrastorm I felt considerable unease at your posting..... its seems odd that much stuff was out there.

This past Tuesday there was a fire in the area where the bones were found. I haven't gotten down there to check it out yet, but the news story said 4th and Mayberry. I don't believe in coincidences. Do you think someone is hoping to cover their tracks? Whatever wasn't found during the evidence search, that is. Here's the story about the fire.
-------------

RENO, NV - Reno fire crews made quick work Tuesday night fighting a small brush fire in west Reno, extinguishing the blaze in fewer than 10 minutes.

It was in the industrial area of Mayberry and 4th Street, burning near railroad tracks.

The fire burned about an acre of brush.

There are homes nearby, but firefighters say none of the homes were ever threatened by the fire.

There are also railroad tracks nearby, but firefighters put out the fire before it got close.

They say, it would have been put out even more quickly, but they had to break through a locked gate near the access road.

Investigators are looking into what started the fire.
-----------------

I'm trying to picture where the RR tracks are in relation to Aspen Glen. Guess I'll have to drive over there and have a look around.

On the clothing and belongings... I should mention that it's a long drive on a hideously rutted road to get to where we saw that pile of stuff. Only a 4 WD truck or jeep raised pretty high off the ground could make that 'road'. And it's isolated out there. Absolutely nothing around. Just dirt and rocks and sage. There are much easier ways to get rid of stuff. Drop it in a donation bin, for example. And generally, people take their clothing when they break up and move out... if they can. Just strange.

And the fire at 4th & Mayberry too.

I spoke with a gentleman I work with and he goes off roading out by Mogul and Verdi all the time. He says out at Verdi it is not uncommon to find a lot of weird things out on the trails and off the beaten path. Clothes, old tires, electronics and stuff people leave for a dumping ground.

He said there was even a grave. He wasn't sure if he was on private property, but it was a clearly marked marble headstone for a child, next to a river/creek inlet.

Creepy indeed. As for the fire, that's an odd coincidence. Almost too much so.

I spoke with a gentleman I work with and he goes off roading out by Mogul and Verdi all the time. He says out at Verdi it is not uncommon to find a lot of weird things out on the trails and off the beaten path. Clothes, old tires, electronics and stuff people leave for a dumping ground.

He said there was even a grave. He wasn't sure if he was on private property, but it was a clearly marked marble headstone for a child, next to a river/creek inlet.

Creepy indeed. As for the fire, that's an odd coincidence. Almost too much so.

Is this a modern grave? When I go to Northern Nevada on vacation, I always like to go out into nature and explore. I'm going to be looking at it a little different after reading this thread.

Yeah, I've seen plenty of garbage while hiking around here, but the clothing and things we saw sure didn't look like garbage. Not all clean and like-new the way everything was. Basically, someone went to a lot of trouble to drive way out there on a very bad 'road' to dump some nearly new clothing and other belongings. Had to take at least an hour from the time they got off the main road to get there and back. There are about a hundred easier ways to get rid of stuff. Makes no sense.

I don't suppose anyone local has heard anything about the remains found near 4th and Mayberry? I've heard nothing.

https://identifyus.org/cases/8895

This is an adult male, about 70 inches, age range 18-99. The remains are partial.
On 06/14/2011 at approximately 1200 hours, a college student was researching birds in a wooded area when he found the decedent's skeletal remains. Emergency personnel were dispatched to the scene. A Ruger 22 semi-automatic handgun was found near the remains. The skull was not found.

Trousers, one sock and four blankets.
Rolex watch
22 caliber Ruger semi-automatic handgun (Serial # 244837).
DNA tests are not complete.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back