Most Intriguing Classic Unsolved Single Murder Poll

What classic unsolved single murder are you most intrigued by?

• Rose Harsent 1902

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Caroline Luard 1908

• George Storrs 1909

• William Taylor 1922

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Margery Wren 1930

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Julia Wallace 1931

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Evelyn Foster 1931

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Hubert Chevis 1931

• Lord Errol 1941

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry Oakes 1943

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Elizabeth Short 1947

Votes: 89 47.6%
  • Shirley Collins 1953

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Marilyn Sheppard 1954

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Valery Percy 1966

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • Another Please Explain

Votes: 39 20.9%

• Total voters

STANDREID

A slacker when slacker wasn't cool
Reaction score
Who's your vote for the most intriguing classic unsolved single murder? I don't believe a case is really an unsolved classic unless it's at least 20 years old so that's why crimes like Ramsey aren't listed.

Stan

My cousin, Billy Baumgartner, 17, was murdered in 1979 in San Mateo, Ca. at the end of his work shift with 2 other male employees, at a Payless Drug Store. The gunman took drugs, money and fled. Gov. Schwarzenegger reopened the case a few years ago. It is the only triple unsolved murder in Ca.

My cousin, Billy Baumgartner, 17, was murdered in 1979 in San Mateo, Ca. at the end of his work shift with 2 other male employees, at a Payless Drug Store. The gunman took drugs, money and fled. Gov. Schwarzenegger reopened the case a few years ago. It is the only triple unsolved murder in Ca.

I'm sorry to hear about your family loss and hope you can receive some justice.

Another big unsolved California case I think of from that era is Cabin 28.

I didn't want to make the list too long so there are many fascinating cases for Another like Weldon Atherstone 1910, Mary Pagan 1913, Brighton Trunk 1934, Charles Mattson 1937, Taman Shud 1948, Gregory Villeman 1984 .........

Betsy Aardsma,1969 without a doubt... I'm kinda surprised it's not listed.

Betsy Aardsma,1969 without a doubt... I'm kinda surprised it's not listed.

That is a fascinating case - thanks. It reminds me some of the 1975 Carol Rofstad slaying here in central Illinois.

I voted for Valerie Percy. I would also have included Betsy Aardsma (11/28/69) and Joan Webster (11/28/81). Also perhaps Jimmy Hoffa.

I voted for Valerie Percy. I would also have included Betsy Aardsma (11/28/69) and Joan Webster (11/28/81). Also perhaps Jimmy Hoffa.

I don't recall hearing about the Joan Webster case but at least I have some limited knowledge of it now - thanks.

Being 65 years old, I only remember Sheppard and Percy from the poll list when they were ongoing. I'm old enough to remember Collins but, since it happened in Australia, it didn't receive any coverage here to my knowledge.

I voted for the only one I know anything about ... Elizabeth Short. Some of the others seem vaguely familiar & I've probably read about them here at WS but don't remember any details atm.

Thanks Lady. It's hard to figure how many votes "Another" would get but I had little doubt Black Dahlia would poll the highest of the named cases. The interesting part will be which named one comes in second.

I had to vote another and would choose Debbie Fijans unsolved murder from February of 1966. DuPage County, unincorporated West Chicago. I want justice for Debbie in the worst way.

There is also the Keddie murders, which remain unsolved, but there were 4 murders in that one. :(

Salem

I vote for the Keddie Cabin murders, followed by Black Dahlia. The rest are pretty much solved in my mind or at least there are some good suspects to look at. With Keddie, you've got no one; it's a complete and baffling mystery.

At least 5 (Wallace, Errol, Oakes, Short and Sheppard) on the list have had at least one true-crime movie made about them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back