1178 users online (229 members and 949 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.

IL - Walter Donley, Peoria, 1 June 1943

On June 1 of 1943, Peoria, IL attorney Walter Donley was last seen walking down Main St. of the city. He wasn't seen again either alive or dead as far as anyone would admit. Donley's appointment book yielded no usable clues. At the time, he was involved in a St. Louis trial regarding robbery and possibly money laundering but that proceeding led to no evidence either. Mr. Donley's car was found parked in a residential area to which he had no known connection. The keys were in the ignition and there was no sign of injury or struggle. Today, the case is still a complete mystery.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

This case was included in Norm Kelly's book Lost in Yesterday's News Vol. 2.

Stan Reid

There was a body found near Chicago that was at first thought to be Donley but that view was soon reversed.

Stan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    There was a body found near Chicago that was at first thought to be Donley but that view was soon reversed.
    Was it identified as someone else? I looked on the Doe Network and Charley Project and couldn't find a listing for Walter Donley.

Hi Amber:

I'm not sure if the body was identified or not. Whatever the case, all the parties seemed satisfied that it wasn't Donley.

The case was unknown to me until I heard Norm Kelly discuss it on the radio. It is a pretty obscure one.

Stan Reid

The fiftieth anniversary in 1993 wasn't even noted here to my knowledge.

Stan Reid

The body from the river was id'ed as John Broten (thanks for posting this one Stanfreid, I had never heard of this)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...r-donley&hl=en

I only saw two other articles all dated around the time of his disappearance or shortly after and both were pay per view in the google archives.

Thanks Kat! Interestingly, I just heard two hosts talking about this case on the radio yesterday although the did not refer to it by name. Apparently, Donley's law office was in the building that currently houses the studios for the WMBD radio station. These chaps said there were rumors of a haunting in the structure. I don't know of any other Peoria lawyer who vanished so they must have been talking about Donley.

Stan Reid

This case was included in Norm Kelly's book Lost in Yesterday's News Vol. 2.
    I am not sure of Donley's exact age. It is probably in Norm's book but have not seen the publication.

Stan Reid

Mr. Donley's car was found parked in a residential area to which he had no known connection. The keys were in the ignition and there was no sign of injury or struggle.
    This residential area was within the city however.

Stan Reid

If I learn where the Donley's car was found, sometime I'll drive the route between there and his office location to see if I get any ideas.

Stan Reid

I did find, as per Mr. Kelly, that Donley's car was found in front of a house owned by Lee Clauding who was not found to have any connection to the missing man. Now, I need to find out the address of the Clauding home.

Stan Reid

I wonder if he was married, or involved with anyone? If so, was the relationship troubled in any way?

Those are good questions Castles. Hopefully in time, I can find some good answers. I had always assumed that Donley wasn't married because I have never heard a wife mentioned but that could just be information that never made it to the forefront.

Stan Reid

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Now, I need to find out the address of the Clauding home.
    If you live near Peoria you could look up local phone directories from the 1940's at the library for Mr Clauding's address.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast