IL IL - Walter Donley, Peoria, 1 June 1943

STANDREID

A slacker when slacker wasn't cool
Reaction score
On June 1 of 1943, Peoria, IL attorney Walter Donley was last seen walking down Main St. of the city. He wasn't seen again either alive or dead as far as anyone would admit. Donley's appointment book yielded no usable clues. At the time, he was involved in a St. Louis trial regarding robbery and possibly money laundering but that proceeding led to no evidence either. Mr. Donley's car was found parked in a residential area to which he had no known connection. The keys were in the ignition and there was no sign of injury or struggle. Today, the case is still a complete mystery.

This case was included in Norm Kelly's book Lost in Yesterday's News Vol. 2.

There was a body found near Chicago that was at first thought to be Donley but that view was soon reversed.

There was a body found near Chicago that was at first thought to be Donley but that view was soon reversed.

Was it identified as someone else? I looked on the Doe Network and Charley Project and couldn't find a listing for Walter Donley.

Hi Amber:

I'm not sure if the body was identified or not. Whatever the case, all the parties seemed satisfied that it wasn't Donley.

The case was unknown to me until I heard Norm Kelly discuss it on the radio. It is a pretty obscure one.

The fiftieth anniversary in 1993 wasn't even noted here to my knowledge.

Thanks Kat! Interestingly, I just heard two hosts talking about this case on the radio yesterday although the did not refer to it by name. Apparently, Donley's law office was in the building that currently houses the studios for the WMBD radio station. These chaps said there were rumors of a haunting in the structure. I don't know of any other Peoria lawyer who vanished so they must have been talking about Donley.

This case was included in Norm Kelly's book Lost in Yesterday's News Vol. 2.

I am not sure of Donley's exact age. It is probably in Norm's book but have not seen the publication.

Mr. Donley's car was found parked in a residential area to which he had no known connection. The keys were in the ignition and there was no sign of injury or struggle.

This residential area was within the city however.

If I learn where the Donley's car was found, sometime I'll drive the route between there and his office location to see if I get any ideas.:worms:

I did find, as per Mr. Kelly, that Donley's car was found in front of a house owned by Lee Clauding who was not found to have any connection to the missing man. Now, I need to find out the address of the Clauding home.

I wonder if he was married, or involved with anyone? If so, was the relationship troubled in any way?

Those are good questions Castles. Hopefully in time, I can find some good answers. I had always assumed that Donley wasn't married because I have never heard a wife mentioned but that could just be information that never made it to the forefront.

Now, I need to find out the address of the Clauding home.

If you live near Peoria you could look up local phone directories from the 1940's at the library for Mr Clauding's address.

That's an avenue Karl. I don't have a card for the Peoria Public Library but all the cards for all the libraries in the area are good in all the other libraries.

If you live near Peoria you could look up local phone directories from the 1940's at the library for Mr Clauding's address.

I would suggest looking at city directories from the 1940's in the Genealogy or Reference Departments at the library. The city directory would have a person's address and occupation as well.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicago...YER+DISAPPEARS+ON+EVE+OF+HEARING&pqatl=google

Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) - Chicago, Ill.
Date: Jun 9, 1943
Start Page: 10
Pages: 1
Text Word Count: 212

, county, and federal authorities today joined in search for Walter W. Donley, 45 years old, well known Peoria attorney missing a, week. Donley phoned his wife June 1 that he would be home for dinner. No word has been heard since.

Puts his date of birth in and around 1896/1897/1898 time frame depending on his day and month of birth and that year is supported by census records from 1900, 1910, 1920 all in Peoria IL.

http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx?xmldoc=193932327FSupp296_1225.xml&docbase=CSLWAR1-1950-1985

Walter W. Donley, Jr., and Thomas C. Feeney, both of Peoria, Ill., for bankrupt.

Ira J. Covey, Wayne H. Mathis, and Ira J. Covey, Jr., all of Peoria, Ill., for respondent.

He was a Jr. that is supported by census records and his father's initials and first name. Searches with Jr. added only showed law suits.

http://books.google.com/books?id=HG...wAA#v=onepage&q="Walter W. Donley Jr"&f=false

social entry.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicago...OF+2+HANDS;+MAYBE+CLEW+TO+LAWYER&pqatl=google

Nov 19, 1943

bones of an arm and hand found in Pike county Monday were being examined tonight by state authorities who expressed the belief they might be those of Walter W. Donley

According to the 1900 census for Peoria IL, he is listed in his Father's home and the month and year given for DOB is Oct 1896.

(familysearch.org)

Just some info to have on hand in the future when searching for any info for this man in archives and such. Didn't locate a wife's name but there is a family tree listed on ancestry (which I do not have a subscription to) where he is listed on the surname tree of Carrithers. IIRC in the 1900 or 1910 census records there was a young Carrithers also living in the same home as W W Donley Jr.

http://books.google.com/books?id=KG...#v=onepage&q=walter wellington donley&f=false

Walter Wellington Donley Jr.

I did find, as per Mr. Kelly, that Donley's car was found in front of a house owned by Lee Clauding who was not found to have any connection to the missing man. Now, I need to find out the address of the Clauding home.

I did a quick search for surname Standried and I think it might possibly be spelled: Claudin ( Lee Oscar) He died in 1951 in Peoria.

ETA: Stan, if you can find a member here with an ancestry subscription (you can request a lookup for the gentleman above down in the genealogy subforum and someone *might* be able to do that for you) he does have a WW 2 draft card available at ancestry and it could *possibly* have the address you are looking for because men his age range had to fill them out in 1942 but they were not eligible for induction.

Thanks Kat - Great work! I do have a plan to get on Ancestry at some time in the future. When I was looking for free one time, I noticed that my mother's name is spelled wrong so I need to correct that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back