812 users online (137 members and 675 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is Casey A Skillful Liar?

it's amazing to me that the talking heads, and media in general, continue to refer to casey as a skillful, adept and convincing liar - i just don't get it. casey is a pathological liar, not a skillful liar, big difference. in fact she has to be one of the least capable and clumsiest liars i've ever heard of.

sure, she fooled those that believed in her and cared about her, such as family and friends, but that was easy, the deck was stacked in her favor, love is blind. but the moment she tried a different audience on for size, i.e. law enforcement, when her lying skills were put to the test, she failed miserably, epochly, not even close. heck, her lies were so poorly developed one would think they were the brainchild of a preteen. comical if not so sad.

in fact casey is not only an ineffective, clumsy liar but she is also an ineffective, clumsy crook as evidenced by the manner in which she stole from amy, her grandparents and her parents - thefts that could easily be detected.

what makes casey unique is not that she's adept at lying or stealing, because she's not, not even close, she's actually bad at it. what makes her unique is that she couldn't care less if she gets caught. at worst, getting caught to casey is nothing more than a temporary inconvenience. at best it's something she can talk her way out of, something that will blow over, or something that she might even get away with. sitting at the defense table, cuffed, she still thinks the same. she's in for a rude awakening.

IMO, her lying isn't the issue. She's been caught. It's her inability to tell the truth.
    My posts are my opinion only.....

Quote Originally Posted by Baznme View Post
    IMO, her lying isn't the issue. She's been caught. It's her inability to tell the truth.
    and her inability to accept responsiblity for her actions/inactions..JMHO

Justice for Caylee

Listening to her lie on the fly in her taped interviews, it amazes me that she can remember and keep them straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricki View Post
    Listening to her lie on the fly in her taped interviews, it amazes me that she can remember and keep them straight.
    I think that's exactly why the talking heads call her skillful. Yeah, those taped conversations and interviews are actually what drew me into the case--I couldn't believe how she came up with such believable details to bolster what were, on the whole, unbelievable lies. I mean, you tell someone a nanny took your kid but you don't know her phone number? That's unbelievable. You tell them the nanny is 5'2", 140 pounds, doesn't have a tattoo because you've seen her in a swimsuit, changed her name when her mother remarried, and lent you her hair straightener? (And all the other details I can't remember . . .) Well, I think it takes some skill to come up with that level of detail on the fly.

I mean, obviously the big lie itself wasn't a great one; of course the police dispelled it quickly. But if I knew Casey or was related to her, I'd probably find it hard to believe she'd made all this stuff up, too. Actually, I know I would--I'd be thinking, "well, it looks like Casey doesn't have a job, but she just spent an hour telling me what she did today, what the receptionist was wearing, and what her coworker was talking about in the break room. There's no way she's lying!" I may be gullible, though.
    Last edited by Kelroy; 06-18-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLaughLuv View Post
    and her inability to accept responsiblity for her actions/inactions..JMHO

Justice for Caylee
    And also, IMO, by the time she stole Amy's checks she just didn't give a dam* anymore. She was living in the moment and didn't care/or didn't fathom that there would be consequences. I mean she had already done something much much worse by then---kill Caylee. So who cares, I'll just start stealing my friend's money.

I don't even give out that much info and I tell the truth.

The amount of detail was crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by fla*mom View Post
    I don't even give out that much info and I tell the truth.

The amount of detail was crazy.
    I kind of think that is what liars do though-- give a lot of detail because they think that if they give details, their lies will seem more believable.

She makes mistakes in the consistency of her stories, but she is very good at changing courses on a dime.
    Things like (this is not a real quote)
    "I'm at Starbucks with Jane."
    "But I was just there and didn't see you."
    "I didn't mean we're in Starbucks. We're next door picking some clothes out for Jane's sister Susan. Then we're headed to Starbucks."

"The clothing store next to Starbucks closed last month."
    "Oh, I know. We're just sitting in my car looking at a catalog Jane brought. My coworkers Jill and Betty just walked by and waved."
    "I didn't see your car in the parking lot."
    "That's because I'm driving a company car. It's a Honda."

She contradicts herself all the time, but comes up with something really quickly that makes it very hard to keep track of exactly what she had said before. I bet she hates to see any of her statements written out on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by aeneas1 View Post
    it's amazing to me that the talking heads, and media in general, continue to refer to casey as a skillful, adept and convincing liar - i just don't get it. casey is a pathological liar, not a skillful liar, big difference. in fact she has to be one of the least capable and clumsiest liars i've ever heard of.
    Agree. Plus she's typicle of a bad liar in that she thinks adding 'detail' to a lie makes it believable. It doesn't. At least, in my personal expierience, once you realize a person is a pathological, cunning, devious lier, you can diferentiate between lies & truth by the amount of detail provided.
    Something else that annoys me is how she is constantly refered to as 'intelligent'. She's not. She's stupid. Extremely stupid. What she is, is devious. A person can be both stupid & devious at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by davehead21 View Post
    I kind of think that is what liars do though-- give a lot of detail because they think that if they give details, their lies will seem more believable.
    You are right about that. And when listening to it all in the beginning and then hearing CA retell it when she was on the stand it kinda sucked you in and I had to keep reminding myself "These are all lies! These people don't even exsist!"

I remember reading on a statement analysis site that the more detail that is inserted is usually an indication of a lie. ICA is sure big on the details.

Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    She makes mistakes in the consistency of her stories, but she is very good at changing courses on a dime.
    This is a great example! She also throws a temper tantrum or says the equivalent of "But you don't LOVE me!" to distract/change the subject.

But, I also think her lies are easily disproven (isn't this a word--why are the red squiggles under it??) (by anyone wishing to investigate-which LE did immediately). "I work here." "The nanny lives in THIS apartment." That's why her lying isn't so skillful.

Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    Things like (this is not a real quote)
    "I'm at Starbucks with Jane."
    "But I was just there and didn't see you."
    "I didn't mean we're in Starbucks. We're next door picking some clothes out for Jane's sister Susan. Then we're headed to Starbucks."

"The clothing store next to Starbucks closed last month."
    "Oh, I know. We're just sitting in my car looking at a catalog Jane brought. My coworkers Jill and Betty just walked by and waved."
    "I didn't see your car in the parking lot."
    "That's because I'm driving a company car. It's a Honda."

She contradicts herself all the time, but comes up with something really quickly that makes it very hard to keep track of exactly what she had said before. I bet she hates to see any of her statements written out on paper.
    well done, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricki"
    I remember reading on a statement analysis site that the more detail that is inserted is usually an indication of a lie. ICA is sure big on the details.
    yes she is... from her first interview:

q: she (juliette) in your sim card? (very simple question posed by ocso deputy):

a: no she's not. some of them are recent numbers. her number changed because she just moved back up north. she... within the last two months has finished moving up to new york. she's sub-leasing her apartment.

she tacks "sub-leasing her apartment" onto the rest of her mumbo-jumbo, classic. of course casey had also just finished telling the deputy that juliette is her co-worker at universal, that they are in the same department, both event coordinators. caught cold in yet another lie... it goes on and on. nothing particularly skillful or impressive about what she spews imo...
    Last edited by aeneas1; 06-18-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Item 1 on the BRACE Character Profile:

1. Lies easily, but ineptly --- easy to catch in a lie. Uses simple denial to avoid consequences, generally one lie on top of another without considering the inconsistencies and contradictions; lies are unconvincing, poorly organized and poorly interrelated.

0 = Rarely, Slightly, or Not Characteristic at All
    1 = Somewhat, Sometimes, Mildly Characteristic
    2 = Often or Frequently or Strongly Characteristic
    3 = Very Often or Very Strongly Characteristic
    4 = Consistently, Extremely, Core Characteristic
    X = No knowledge.

IMO, Casey’s rating: 4

Russell
    Even chaos is well patterned.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast