1008 users online (218 members and 790 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.

The Reid Scale: Classic Unsolved Murder Cases

Hi all:

Some years ago I developed a scale to categorize classic unsolved murder cases sort of like we have for hurricanes and tornadoes. No big deal but here it is with an example I'd place in each of the six groups.

The Reid Scale: Classic Unsolved Murder Cases

Level 0: Cases where there is a standing criminal conviction or not guilty by reason of insanity finding and little or no doubt regarding the verdict (Ted Bundy)

Level 1: Cases with a standing criminal conviction but where there is something beyond fanciful doubt about it (James Hanratty)

Level 2: Cases where there is no standing criminal conviction but little doubt that the chief suspect did it (Bella Kiss)

Level 3: Cases where there is no standing conviction but a little better than even chance that one suspect was the perpetrator (Borden Murders)

Level 4: Cases where there are suspect(s) of merit but they are doubtful and/or conflicting (Jack the Ripper)

Level 5: Cases where there is no serious suspect (The Original Nightstalker)
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Hello Stan,

That is really interesting. If someone dies before they are apprehended (such as Christopher Wilder), then the series of murders believed to be committed by him would be considered a Level 2 [if I am understanding this correctly]?

Yes Amber, that would be it.

Stan Reid

Where would you classify JonBenet's murder? The main suspects for years were her parents and many still believe they were involved, but others think that an intruder killed JonBenet and that the media and the public vilified the Ramseys.

Hi Eileen:

It would be a close call for me but I probably would put it at a 4. I'm sure others would disagree.

Stan Reid

The Hanratty case is fascinating... despite all the public outrage at the time, and with celebrities like John Lennon proclaiming his innocence, it seems likely that Hanratty was guilty after all. James Hanratty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by KateB; 05-22-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Hi Dreamnine:

Yes, DNA has taken some doubt out of the Hanratty case for me but many don't buy it claiming cross contamination, conspiracy and whatnot.

Stan Reid

At the basics, Level 0 is considered solved, 1 and 2 are partially resolved in different ways and 3-5 are unresolved cases with varying degrees of suspects from good to doubtful to none.

Stan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
    The Hanratty case is fascinating... despite all the public outrage at the time, and with celebrities like John Lennon proclaiming his innocence, it seems likely that Hanratty was guilty after all. James Hanratty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    As much as I love John Lennon he seemed to be really prone to getting sucked into and then on fire passionate about other people's causes then shortly losing interest.I doubt he had any special insight into this case.

The most unusual thing about A6 is that there was actually a guy who resembled Hanratty out there and claiming that he was actually the guy who committed the murder.

Stan Reid

I read an interview with the woman that was shot and paralysed, Valerie Storie, a number of years ago.. she has never really gotten over it but has lived her life nonetheless.

Edit: a newer article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...indicated.html

She has been unwavering.

Stan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    The most unusual thing about A6 is that there was actually a guy who resembled Hanratty out there and claiming that he was actually the guy who committed the murder.
    This I didn't know.

Peter Alphon claimed he did it. I don't know if he is still living. One 2009 report said he was deceased.

Stan Reid

In general, I'd use the suspect's name to designate the first three categories as with Bella Kiss. For the last three, I'd use either the victim's name, such as the Julia Wallace Case, or a nom de meurtre like Jack the Ripper.

Stan Reid

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast