958 users online (140 members and 818 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.

Arrow Centenaries - whole and half

The place to note imminent anniversaries in the annals of crime at 50 year, 100 year, 150 year and so on intervals.

I'll give a recent example in the following post.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1961 June 15 - Richard Kiefer is executed in the electric chair for the beating deaths of his wife and little daughter two years earlier. He was the only person executed in Indiana between 1951 and 1981.

Stan Reid

Coming in December!

Bicentennial, Ratcliffe Highway Murders (07 and 19 December 1811).

Yep, that's a big one!

Stan Reid

03 April marked the 50th anniversary of Western swing star Spade Cooley's torturing his wife and then stomping her to death as he made their daughter watch; she was said to have taunted him regarding her affair with Roy Rogers before the horror unfolded.

A big hundredth anniversary from earlier this year was the unsolved Chicago murder of little 5-year-old Elsie Paroubek. She was found in a canal on May 7 of 1911 after vanishing 29 days earlier.

Stan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    03 April marked the 50th anniversary of Western swing star Spade Cooley's torturing his wife and then stomping her to death as he made their daughter watch; she was said to have taunted him regarding her affair with Roy Rogers before the horror unfolded.
    How have I never heard of that?
    England's dancing days are done...

Quote Originally Posted by badhorsie View Post
    How have I never heard of that?
    Here's a sterling account from Night Tides and the Legacy of Spade Cooley

Yes, thanks for sharing the Cooley story. I was in high school in 1961 but don't remember it either.

Stan Reid

I see your bicentennials and raise you a coming tricentennial.

18 July 1711
    Peter Cartwright, highwayman, hanged in London's Tyburn.
    He was hanged for his crimes at Tyburn and the former resident of St Pancras shared his scaffold with Margaret Lane from Holloway, who was also up for highway robbery.

OT I used to ride in Hyde Park BITD and always felt a sense of foreboding when near Tyburn, maybe I was hanged as a highwaywoman in a previous life !!!

100 years ago - 1911 July 1 - Forty-year-old Lena Sharp is savagely murdered with a slash to the throat and then mutilated. She is another victim of the Atlanta Jack the Ripper. Contemporary newspapers described the victims as mulatto females. Lena's daughter was also stabbed in the back and is believed to be the only lady to escape the killer. She said that her attacker was a well-dressed black man. The murderer took the lives of thirteen women and was never captured or identified.

Stan Reid

Two hundred and fifty years ago - in 1761 - Marie Grosholtz, a.k.a. Madame Tussaud, whose Chamber of Horrors
    at her waxworks contains a wealth of murderous noteworthies and is a celebrated feature, was born in Strasbourg, France.

50 years ago - 1961 July 2 - Jerry Tharrington is stabbed to death in Missouri State Penitentiary. There was a report of sexual assault as well. Although the slaying is officially unsolved, the belief is that it was the first murder by future pedophile serial killer Charles Hatcher. In 1969, Hatcher was released to embark on his murderous series. By the time he was rearrested in 1982, it was believed that he'd killed at least 15 more. At that time, he was sentenced to prison for life and hanged himself there two years later.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1961 July 3 - Koos Scholtz leaves his Cape Town, South Africa home expecting his wife Dillie to soon follow. He reaches his destination but she does not and an investigation ensues. Her car was found still in the garage at the home. Dillie's burned body was finally discovered in nearby compost heap after a search of several days. George Thompson was a man who did odd jobs in the area and had been seen tending a roaring fire on the day Dillie vanished. He was eventually convicted of the killing and hanged in 1962.

Stan Reid

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast