1142 users online (162 members and 980 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    50 years ago - 1961 July 6 - Edwin Bush, 21, is hanged in England for the murder of Elsie Batten. The 59-year-old victim was a worker in an antique shop and Bush stabbed her to death while stealing a sword. He was the first person captured using the new Identikit system.
    Last edited by STANDREID; 07-04-2011 at 08:06 AM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

20 August 1911: Mona Lisa stolen from the Louvre. Though Apollinaire was arrested (and implicated Pablo Picasso), Vincenzo Perugia actually did the deed as an act of Italian nationalism, to restore the painting to his country. Mona's back in January 1914.

50 years ago, in England, the law making it a crime to attempt suicide was struck down, ceasing to be a misdemeanor.

This year is the centenary of the birth of Jack Leon Rubenstein, a.k.a. Jack Ruby, born in 1911 and perhaps the key character in unraveling what took place in Dallas in November 1963.

100 years ago - 1911 July 11 - The body of Sadie Holley is found in a gully with her throat cut. She was a laundry worker and was believed to be the seventh victim in the never solved Atlanta Jack the Ripper Case.

50 years ago - 1961 July 11 - Bobbi Ann Landini is strangled and beaten to death with a pipe in her Birmingham, Alabama home. Ms. Landini was one of the victims of serial killer Hugh Bion Morse. The murderer was eventually arrested and given a double life sentence. He died still incarcerated in 2003.

Stan Reid

150 years ago - 1861 July 12 - A group that included James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok guns down Dave McCanless and two of his companions. The three men died over a debt that McCanless said was owed him. In the Nebraska Territory, Hickok and some of his cohorts were charged with murder but got off on a self defense claim.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 July 18 - A gunshot takes the top off Louise Beattie's head. It would have been one of the earliest carjackings as her husband, Henry Clay Beattie, claimed, that is had it been the case. Virginia authorities embarked on an extensive search for the murder weapon and eventually found it. The gun was traced back to an H. C. Beattie and the 27-year-old was arrested. He will go to the electric chair later this year after making a full confession on the eve of his execution.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 July 23 - Mysterious death visits an English castle for the third time in the last nine months. Margaret Bingham now follows a sister and her father to the cemetery with a bother to repeat the pattern next month. With the fourth death, belated suspicion is finally aroused and arsenic is discovered in the last three victims. The first death, if it was indeed a murder, must have been by some other means. Edith Bingham, who was the sister and daughter of the victims, was tried for murder but was acquitted. In 1914, she was sent to an asylum and died there in 1945. Officially, the case is unsolved.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 August 4 - Scyrel Sparling is poisoned by Dr. John MacGregor for insurance money. The father and two brothers of the victim had died under similar circumstances and authorities finally figured out that something was amiss. Carrie Sparling, the wife and mother of the four dead also came under suspicion when it was suggested that she had more than a professional relationship with the doctor but she was never convicted. MacGregor was found guilty in 1912 and sentenced to life in a Michigan prison but was pardoned after only four years and died in 1928.

Stan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    20 August 1911: Mona Lisa stolen from the Louvre. Though Apollinaire was arrested (and implicated Pablo Picasso), Vincenzo Perugia actually did the deed as an act of Italian nationalism, to restore the painting to his country. Mona's back in January 1914.
    Either The Guardian or I have the date wrong; interesting lengthy
    piece at link on the 100th anniversary of the snatching of La Giaconda.
    A hundred years ago, on 21 August 1911, an Italian painter and decorator slipped from the cupboard in the Louvre where he had been hiding all night, stepped up to the Mona Lisa, freed her from her frame and left the building apparently unseen. It was 24 hours before anyone noticed she was missing. The usual line is that the Louvre was closed for maintenance and everyone thought that somebody else must have removed the picture to be photographed, or cleaned. But museums are – or were – surprisingly blind to crime, even when it involves stealing the world's most famous painting. Or perhaps not the world's most famous painting – the Mona Lisa certainly wasn't universally known in 1911.
    ---
    The man who stole the Mona Lisa

100 years ago - 1911 August 9 - While crossing a field to catch a Denver streetcar for a ride home from a student's house, music teacher Signe Carlszen is strangled and beaten to death. An additional set of murders next month will lead some to posit that a serial killer is at work. All of the killings are still unsolved.

50 years ago -1961 August 9 - Four-year-old Michelle Morgan is held under water then stomped to death by her stepmother Mary Morgan. This was all because Michelle supposedly told a lie and it was not the first incidence of abuse in the Illinois farmhouse. Surprisingly, at the time, the cause of death was recorded as natural causes. In 1996, Michelle's brother, George told what he had actually witnessed so Mary was tracked down and indicted in 1997. She was however allowed to plead guilty to involuntary manslaughter and got only a five year prison sentence even after an exhumation corroborated George's testimony.
    Last edited by STANDREID; 08-07-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1961 August 11 - A car trunk in Chicago yields the body of William Jackson. The victim had been hung up on a meat hook and tortured with a cattle prod and blow torch then beaten to death with a ball bat. Suspicion is that the murder had Mob connections and it remains officially unsolved.

50 years ago - 1961 August 11 - Mattie Restine, 13, and Patty Pritz, 14, vanish while walking home from the beach in Carlsbad, New Mexico. On the second day of the search, the remains of the girls were found outside of town. Both had been sexually assaulted and shot in the head. The murders are still unsolved.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 August 15 - Now a fourth victim dies in an English castle after a mysterious illness. James Bingham is following his father and two sisters to the grave and authorities finally catch on. They find arsenic in the remains of the last three victims. It is not possible to determine the cause of death in the first case. Edith Bingham, who was the daughter and sister of the victims, is put on trial for the killings but is found not guilty. Officially, the case is still unsolved. Edith went into an asylum in 1914 and stayed there until she died in 1945.

Stan Reid

Do you know which Asylum it was?
    England's dancing days are done...

I believe it was Lancaster Moor Hospital.

Stan Reid

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast