1238 users online (232 members and 1006 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    100 years ago - 1911 August 21 - Rose Render, an 18-year-old waitress, is stabbed in the heart and killed. Her boyfriend who had reportedly forced her into prostitution, Charles Ellsome, 22, was arrested, found guilty of the murder and sentenced to hang. In England, the newly formed Court of Criminal Appeal reviewed the case and Mr. Ellsome was the first person to be reprieved by them. He was released on what was described as technicality. The case is considered legally unsolved but most knew that the release had nothing to do with innocence. A witness at around the time of the murder had heard a woman scream, "Don't, Charles, don't!"
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1961 August 22 - A couple are accosted as they sit in a car at a rest stop beside an English roadway. They will be found shot the next morning. Michael Gregsten was dead but his companion, Valerie Storie, survived with disabling injuries. She had also been raped. Gregsten was a married man and had been having an affair with Ms. Storie. James Hanratty was hanged in 1962 for the crime although the execution was not without some controversy. Another man, who resembled Hanratty, actually confessed to the attack but some thought he was just an attention seeker.

Stan Reid

We must take a pause and go back to New Year's Day - New Year's Day 1911, in fact - to recall the celebrated Steinie Morrison case: convicted for murdering Leon Beron just after midnight - Beron's body was found 01.01.11 on Clapham Common - many feel that Morrison got a raw deal in the case from the Yard and its future 'Big Four' detective Frederick Porter Wensley.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    We must take a pause and go back to New Year's Day - New Year's Day 1911, in fact - to recall the celebrated Steinie Morrison case: convicted for murdering Leon Beron just after midnight - Beron's body was found 01.01.11 on Clapham Common - many feel that Morrison got a raw deal in the case from the Yard and its future 'Big Four' detective Frederick Porter Wensley.
    Thanks! I did put that up on another pair of sites where I have similar threads but I was, as yet, not present here. That is certainly a big case along with some others at the time that had possible anarchist connections.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1961 August 31 - In Tacoma, Washington, Ann Marie Burr, 8, vanishes from her bedroom. A smallish footprint was found outside a living room window that had been opened and a bench that was beneath it had been turned over. Ann was never seen again and the case is unsolved although some believe that she could have been the first murder perpetrated by Ted Bundy who lived in the area at the time.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 September 1 - In North London, Miss Eliza Mary Barrow, 49, is poisoned with arsenic and will soon die. Eliza had recently turned her assets over to her landlord, Frederick Henry Seddon, in lieu of rent for life. At first, the cause of death was given as natural causes but the poison was eventually found and Seddon, along with his wife, was charged. Mrs. Seddon was acquitted by the jury but her husband was found guilty of murder and hanged in 1912.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1961 September 2 - Burney Archerd, a California teenager, dies from an insulin overdose. His uncle, William Dale Archerd was later arrested and charged with the murder. Uncle William was also suspected of killing at least 5 others, including 3 wives and 2 "friends", between 1947 and 1966. It was not always clear what the motives for these slayings were. William was convicted and sentenced to die in the gas chamber but this was later commuted to life in prison. The convict was the first person in America to be found guilty of using insulin as a murder weapon.

Stan Reid

200 years ago - 1811 September 17 - German serial killer Anna Maria Zwanziger is beheaded for her crimes. She had poisoned victims in homes where she was working as a servant for either revenge or a hoped for gain.

100 years ago - 1911 September 17 - In Colorado Springs, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Wayne are murdered with an ax in their home along with Mrs. Alice Burnham, a house guest. Also slain were the little daughters of both women as well as Alice's young son. Their were no survivors. Some thought that a serial killer was about since another woman had been brutally murdered in the area 39 days previous. The cases are unsolved but Henry Lee Moore's name has been brought up as a possible suspect at least for this later occurrence.
    Last edited by STANDREID; 09-15-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1961 September 18 - Carol Ronan is raped and murdered by strangulation in her St. Paul, Minnesota home. She is the last known fatal victim of serial killer Hugh Bion Morse. He was arrested in the following month and sent to prison for life. Morse died in 2004 while still serving his sentence.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 October 1 - An unknown fiend in the night invades the Monmouth, Illinois home of William and Charity Dawson. The miscreant axes the couple to death along with their 12-year-old daughter, Georgia. To this day, the slayings are a mystery but suspected serial killer Henry Lee Moore has been mentioned as a possible suspect.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 October 7 - Joseph Wilson, 60, the stationmaster at Lintz Green Railway Station in England, is shot and killed on his walk home from the office. It was his norm to carry the day's takings back to his residence for deposit at this time but on this evening he had made the transfer earlier. The presumption is that the murderer didn't know this and intended to rob Mr. Wilson. His killer was never captured or identified.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 October 14 - A woman is found in a bathtub at the Boston Y.W.C.A. Avis Linnell, who will soon die, had been given potassium cyanide by Reverend Clarence V. T. Richeson who had told her it was something to cause an abortion. The pastor was afraid the child would affect his reputation and relationships with other women. While incarcerated, racked with insane guilt, he emasculated himself with the lid of a tin can. A jury also thought he was guilty and sent him to a 1912 date with the electric chair.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 October 15 - In Ellsworth, Kansas, Pauline and William Showman, a married couple, are axed to death in their bed. The family massacre was completed with the killings of their young son and little daughters in a like manner. It is still an unsolved case but Henry Lee Moore has been mentioned as a person of interest.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 October 19 - Edward Fullum is given an injection of poison in India by Dr. Henry Clark. The doctor was having an affair with the victim's wife, Augusta. In the next month, Clark's wife, Louisa, will be cut to pieces by four hired killers. The unfaithful spouses will eventually be found guilty of the murders. Doctor Clark will be hanged for the slayings in 1913. Augusta will give birth to Clark's child while incarcerated and then die there from heatstroke in 1914.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 November 2 - John Quinn is shot and killed in the Chicago home he shares with his wife, Jane. She claimed that he'd been murdered by a burglar who then fled. The problem was that she'd given a similar account when her husband who immediately preceded John was dispatched in their residence. Jane Quinn was found guilty of murder and sent to prison for life. She is also suspected of killing her mother and her first husband with some type of poison.

Stan Reid

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast