1023 users online (123 members and 900 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    50 years ago - 1961 November 5 - In Wales, three fisherman find a dismembered skeleton in a derelict lead mine. The remains are quickly identified as those of Mamie Stuart who had vanished in 1919. Police initiate a manhunt for Edward George Shotton, her husband, who they had long suspected of killing her. At the time of her disappearance, he had been seen carrying a sack in the area by their mailman. The suspect had gotten away with murder though; having died from natural causes in 1958.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1961 November 12 - While off the coast of Florida and on his yacht Bluebelle, Julian Harvey kills his wife Mary and his passengers, Arthur Duperrault, his wife Jean and two of their children, Brian and Renee. Mr. Harvey expected a third child, Terry, to drown below deck when he scuttled the boat and rowed off in a dinghy. When he was picked up, Harvey claimed that the vessel had sunk after an accident. His story was spoiled because the young girl had gotten to a flotation device and was picked up after drifting for four days. When Mr. Harvey got word of this, he checked into a motel and committed suicide by slashing himself with a razor. The suspected motive for the carnage was to collect on Mary's life insurance with the subsequent events undertaken only to eliminate witnesses. There is also suspicion that Harvey had also murdered a previous wife and her mother and set up an "accident" to profit in another insurance scheme.
    Last edited by STANDREID; 11-10-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 November 17 - In colonial India, four assassins, hired by Dr. Henry Clark, break in and slash his wife, Louisa, to death. In the previous month, he'd killed Edward Fullum with an injection of poison. The motive for the murders was so he could carry on his affair with Fullum's wife, Augusta. Henry and Augusta were convicted of the murders. He was hanged in 1913. Augusta gave birth to Clark's child in prison and died there from heat stroke in 1914.

50 years ago - 1961 November 17 - Therland Carter and Ann Newman are found murdered in a Toronto duplex. Ms. Newman's throat had been cut and Carter had been shot. A ring found next to Ann's body led to the arrest of Arthur Lucas. In 1962, he was hanged for the murders.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1961 November 21 - William "The Mutilator" MacDonald, a serial killer, fatally stabs and slashes William Cobbin, 55, in a Sydney public toilet. The murderer then severed and took away the victim's genitalia. After more slayings, MacDonald was captured and is still incarcerated.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 November 24 - In Virginia, Henry Clay Beattie dies in the electric chair. Mr. Beattie had shot his wife, Louise, in their car and attempted to blame it on a fictitious carjacker. Police, however, found the murder weapon and were able to trace it back to the young husband. Beattie stuck to the ruse until the near end when he handed the prison chaplain a written confession.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 November 26 - While sleeping in their Louisiana home, all six members of the Norbert Randall family are hacked to death. This is a continuation of the unsolved, so-called, Mulatto Axe Murders. A woman did survive a later attack and said that the slayer was a black man.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 November 28 - Lord George Sanger, 85, is murdered on his farm in Britain by a hatchet wielding employee named Herbert Cooper. After the killing, Cooper decapitated himself by laying his neck on a rail and allowing a locomotive to pass over it

Stan Reid

200 years ago - 1811 December 7 - A servant girl leaves a hosier's establishment in East London for some late night shopping. When she gets back, she finds that all present have been beaten to death with a hammer. Those dead are Timothy Marr, his wife Celia, their baby and an apprentice at the business named James Gowan. This was the unset of the Ratcliffe Highway Murders. A fellow named John Williams was eventually arrested for the slayings but, with some question, turned up dead in his jail cell before he could go to trial. The case was thus left officially unsolved and some think that Williams was the subject of a frame-up.

50 years ago - 1961 December 7 - In New York, Dr. Joseph DiFede is beaten to death a hammer. His wife, Jean, and her boyfriend, Armando Cossentino, were eventually arrested and found guilty of the crime. Both wound up with life in prison terms after Cossentino's death sentence was commuted.

Stan Reid

Yes, 200 years ago today, the Ratcliffe Highway Murders get off to a bloody start. On 19 December, the second group of victims met their dire fate. Total body count: seven. Needless to say, the crimes shocked London.

50 years ago - 1961 December 17 - An arsonist sets fire to the sold out big-top of the Gran Circus Norte-Americano in Niteroi, Brazil. The official death toll was 323 but some estimates place it at over 500. A disgruntled employee named Adilson Marcelino Alves was convicted of setting the fire and sent to prison.

Stan Reid

200 years ago - 1811 December 19 - In London, the second group of the Ratcliffe Highway Murders occurs but this time there are survivors in the home. John Williamson, a publican, along with his wife, Elizabeth, are slain as is their servant Bridget Harrington. John and Elizabeth's granddaughter, Catherine Stillwell slept through the slaughter and remained undiscovered by the killer. Their lodger, John Turner was aroused by the commotion and peeked out of his room to see a shadowy figure bending over one of the dead then escaped out of a back window to summon help. The killer was gone when he returned with others. After some time, a suspect named John Williams was arrested but he was found dead hanging in his cell before trial thus leaving the case officially unsolved. Some assert that Williams was framed and that the hanging was not a suicide.

Stan Reid

Well, would 1800 years count for an anniversary?

Yesterday it was 1800 years from certain cosy family life affairs in the Roman style. On December 19, 211, Publius Septimius Geta, co-emperor of Rome, was lured to come without his bodyguards to meet his brother Marcus Aurelius Antoninus (Caracalla), to discuss a possible reconciliation. When he arrived the Praetorian Guard murdered him and he died in the arms of his mother Julia Domna.

- Publius Septimius Geta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    - Caracalla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    - Julia Domna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by KateB; 04-04-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldowas View Post
    Well, would 1800 years count for an anniversary?
    Absolutely it would. Thanks

Stan Reid

I have some stuff in the pipeline relating to the Roman Empire but I missed that one.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1911 December 28 - In Chicago, Charles Murrow dies at his home after being shot once in the heart and once in the head. Rena Murrow, his wife who'd shot at him and missed in a previous altercation, was charged with his murder but was acquitted.

Stan Reid

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast