Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Centenaries - whole and half

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    From her photos, I see that our standard of beauty is the same now as it was in the 1850s.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

2. The Following User Says Thank You to STANDREID For This Useful Post:

50 years ago - 1962 March 1 - In the desert outside Phoenix, Samuel Resnick dies. The former jeweler had actually hired R.E. Jackson to kill him due to terrible pain he was experiencing from incurable cancer. Legally speaking, that was still considered murder and Jackson was sent to prison.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1912 March 7 - Cayetano Santos Godino, 15, sets fire to the dress of little 5-year-old Reyna Vainicoff resulting in her death. This is not Godino's first murder of a child nor will it be his last. The Argentine serial killer was finally incarcerated at the end of the year. He reportedly died in prison during 1944 from natural causes, although rumors persist that he was actually beaten to death by a mob of prisoners after he killed the pet cat of a fellow inmate.

Stan Reid

150 years ago - 1862 March 8 - In France, Martin Dumollard, a serial killer, is beheaded on the guillotine. It is believed that he murdered at least ten servant girls by bashing in their skulls with a blunt object. The motive was supposedly robbery but the girls didn't really have much to take. He either buried the victims on his property or, in the winter when the ground was frozen, tossed them in a river. Marie Dumollard, his wife, was judged an accomplice and sentenced to life at hard labor.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1912 March 14 - Floyd Allen and his clan are displeased with his conviction for assault and battery and commence to shoot up a Virginia courtroom. Their gunfire kills five people. Floyd and his son Claude were then convicted of these murders and executed in the following year.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1962 March 23 - Vincent Cuicci is executed in the Cook County IL electric chair. He had murdered his wife and three children in 1953 after his spouse learned that Mr. Ciucci had impregnated a mistress.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1962 March 29 - George Thompson is hanged for murder in South Africa. He had killed Dillie Scholtz in 1961 as she was leaving for work then burned her body.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1962 March 31 - William MacDonald, an Australian serial killer, repeatedly stabs Frank McLean but is interrupted by an approaching family. McLean was still alive but, while the family was off searching for a policeman, the murderer returned and finished the job. MacDonald then repeated his pattern of severing the victim's genitals and taking them away. He committed one more murder then was sent to prison for life.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1962 April 4 - James Hanratty is hanged in and English prison for the murder of Michael Gregsten. Even today, this so-called A6 Lay-By Case is a matter of controversy with some.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1912 April 11 - All five members of the William Burton family are murdered as they sleep in there home near San Antonio. These are more attacks in what some contemporary media were calling the Mulatto Axe Murders. Two days hence, three more will be slain in another Texas town but these will be the last fatal assaults. In August, the killer will make a final attempt but will only inflict injury. A woman who survived that event said that the attacker appeared to be a black man. He was never heard from again whoever he was and the crimes remain unsolved.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1912 April 18 - In England, Frederick Seddon is executed by hanging for the murder of Eliza Burrows.

Stan Reid

Background info for Frederick Seddon

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Seddon"]Frederick Seddon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Hood For This Useful Post:

1000 years ago - 1012 April 19 - In England, Archbishop Elphege of Canterbury is murdered by invading Danes who are holding him captive. He was first pelted with animal bones then finished off with an ax.

Stan Reid

16. The Following User Says Thank You to STANDREID For This Useful Post:

50 years ago - 1962 April 21 - In England, Molly Young dies from antimony poisoning. Her 14-year-old stepson, Graham Young admitted to giving her the poison and was sent to a secure hospital due to his mental condition. He was released as "cured" after 9 years and secured employment. Mr. Young then began dosing fellow workers with the "poisoner's poison", thallium. After two more succumbed, he was sent to prison for those murders and died there mysteriously in 1990.

Stan Reid

18. The Following User Says Thank You to STANDREID For This Useful Post:

50 years ago - 1962 April 23 - In what was then West Germany, Petra Giese, 13, is raped, murdered and mutilated by Joackim Kroll, the so-called "Ruhr Cannibal". He was finally arrested in 1976 when a toilet he used was found to be clogged with the internal organs of a child. Kroll admitted to 14 murders then received multiple life sentences and died incarcerated in 1991.

50 years ago - 1962 April 23 - As he lies sleeping in his bed, Louis Lemoine receives a shotgun blast to the head. His former wife, Addie Mae Lemoine then buries him under their wash-house. The Louisiana couple were divorced but had continued to live together. She told authorities that Louis had gone to visit relatives but that story proved false and the victim's body was found resulting in a life term in prison for Addie Mae.

Stan Reid

20. The Following User Says Thank You to STANDREID For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    50 years ago - 1962 April 21 - In England, Molly Young dies from antimony poisoning. Her 14-year-old stepson, Graham Young admitted to giving her the poison and was sent to a secure hospital due to his mental condition. He was released as "cured" after 9 years and secured employment. Mr. Young then began dosing fellow workers with the "poisoner's poison", thallium. After two more succumbed, he was sent to prison for those murders and died there mysteriously in 1990.
    That Mr Young was quite a case. Antimony followed up by thallium - hell takes its hat off to that 1-2 combo in one lifetime.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

100 years ago - 1912 April 30 - In Chicago, Peter Musso is shot three times as he sleeps by his wife, Antonia, who then proceeds to set the bed on fire. Antonia was tried for murder but was found not guilty due to her self defense claim.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1912 May 8 - In New Orleans, Anthony Genna is murdered. The killing is thought to perhaps be the result of an extortion racket. Genna's slaying is sometimes mentioned as an example of an early Italian grocer murder when the New Orleans Axeman Case from later in the decade is being discussed.

Stan Reid

200 years ago - 1812 May 10 - Russell Colvin vanishes in Vermont after having issues with his brothers-in-law Jesse and Stephen Boorn. In 1819, some bones are found and the brothers are arrested then sentenced to death for murder. Fortunately, shortly before their scheduled hanging, Colvin was found alive and the two men were released. It was also determined that the bones were those of an animal.

Stan Reid

200 years ago - 1812 May 11 - British Prime Minister Spencer Perceval is gunned down in the lobby of the House of Commons. John Bellingham, the assassin, had perceived grievances with the British government and was quickly tried and hanged. Some objected to the execution because Bellingham appeared to be seriously mentally ill.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1962 May 15 - The bodies of Billy McCarthy and James Miraglia are found in a car trunk on the Southwest side of Chicago. The two small-time hoods were savagely beaten and had their throats cut. Mr. McCarthy had also been subjected to torture by having his head crushed in a vise to the point that an eye had popped out. The torture was apparently to get McCarthy to give up Miraglia's location. Mobsters Felix Aldersario and Anthony Spilotro are among those listed as suspects but no-one was ever convicted.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1912 May 16 - In New Orleans, Anthony Sciambra and his wife Johanna are slain. The murders are sometimes listed as an early example of a New Orleans Axeman attack except the issue is that these killings were by gun and not ax.

Stan Reid

200 years ago - 1812 May 18 - John Bellingham is hanged in England for the assassination of Prime Minister Spencer Perceval.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1912 May 20 - In Massachusetts, the Reverend Clarance V.T. Richeson is executed in the electric chair for the murder of his pregnant mistress Avis Linnell. While awaiting his doom, he had administered some self punishment by emasculating himself with the lid of a tin can.

50 years ago - 1962 May 20 - Myrtle Fray is beaten and strangled in her Ohio apartment as she is getting ready for bed. Her murder did not lead to a conviction but Richard Eberling, the man who killed her sister, is the chief suspect.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1962 May 31 - Adolf Eichmann is executed by hanging in Israel. He'd been convicted of crimes against humanity and war crimes as well as other charges that he committed as a German officer in Nazi Europe.

Stan Reid

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast