1334 users online (245 members and 1089 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    100 years ago - 1911 December 28 - In Chicago, Charles Morrow dies at his home after being shot once in the heart and once in the head. Rena Morrow, his wife who'd shot at him and missed in a previous altercation, was charged with his murder but was acquitted.
    I changed Murrow to Morrow in my quote which is the correct spelling - sorry.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Well, it's a new year so we're to years ending in 12 or 62 or, if there's anything more than 2000 years old, 39B or 89B (-38 or -88 if your on the astronomical calendar). I have more than 70 so far.

Stan Reid

I see the Villisca Axe Murders are rumbling toward a 10 June centenary.

And, in bi-centenaries of note, this one's drawing nearer:

Paul Guihard, (died 30 September, 1962) was a French journalist covering the Civil Rights Movement in the United States in the 1960s. He was murdered in rioting at the campus of the University of Mississippi in Oxford after James Meredith attempted to enroll at the all-white school. He was shot in the back at almost point-blank range by an unknown assailant near the Lyceum building. Guihard's case was closed without success and never re-investigated. In his last dispatch made the very same day, he had written "The Civil War has never ended." Wiki

More to which to look forward in '12: centenary of Brides in the Bath murders!

George Joseph Smith (Wiki)

And, lest we forget, r.i.p., Eliza Barrow: Frederick Seddon, another '12 centenary.

150 years ago - 1862 January 14 - Rebecca Law hacks her husband, Samuel, to death with a billhook and then commences cutting him to pieces in their English home. She then fatally batters her baby son, Alfred, with a hammer. Her six-year-old son was the only one who survived the rampage. Mrs. Law was declared not guilty by reason of insanity and sent to an asylum for lunatics.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1912 January 21 - Mr. and Mrs. Felix Broussard as well as their three children are slain in their beds at Lake Charles, Louisiana. The murderer left behind a mysterious note saying, "When He Maketh the Inquisition for Blood, He forgetteth not the cry of the humble-human five." These slayings plus those of a woman and her three children two days before are believed to be the work of a killer who was, at the time, due to the victims, being called the Mulatto Ax Murderer. A woman who was the only victim to see the killer and survive said that he was a lone male and he was believed to be black.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1912 January 26 - At Buenos Aires, Arturo Laurona, 13, is found slain in a vacant house. Later, it was determined that he'd been murdered by Argentine serial killer Cayetano Santos Godino who was himself only 15 at the time. Godino was captured at the end of the year but not before murdering more children. He died while still incarcerated in 1944 by what were officially given a natural causes. Rumors persist that he was actually beaten to death by a mob of prisoners, according to one account, because he'd killed the pet cat of a fellow inmate.

Stan Reid

100 years ago - 1912 January 29 - Albert Wolter is executed in New York. Mr. Wolter had lured Ruth Wheeler to his Manhattan address with the promise of a secretarial job. He instead, raped and strangled the poor woman then cremated her in his fireplace.

Stan Reid

Plymouth, UK on January 24th 1812 - apparently, not a fun place to be.

Plymouth, Jan 24.

A man named John Armstrong, who stands charged with the murder of a marine, was apprehended on board the brig Plato, Captain Ramells, lying at New Quay. It appears that Armstrong, together with three other men, deserted from the Goldfinch sloop of war, on the night of the 16th of September last, and stole the gig from the stern of that vessel, while she lay in Stonehouse-pool; that they persuaded the marine, named Isaac Carter, then doing his duty on the gangway, to desert his post and accompany them, and that when they had got midway between the vessel and the shore, they pinioned him, tied his legs, and threw him overboard. John Williams, an American, and Henry Dercus, a Dutchman, accomplices with Armstrong, are still at large, and for whom a reward of 30 each is offered by the Admiralty.

A horrid murder appears to have been committed, on the body of a child, in the neighbourhood of Kingsbridge, about twenty-four miles from this place :- Margaret Huxtable, of the parish of Dodsbrooke, a child about nine years old, but rather stout for her age, was sent on an errand by her mother, on that evening, about six o'clock, but not returning in time, her parents were apprehensive for her safety, the next morning her shift was found on the road about a mile from Kingsbridge, much torn and very bloody, and accounts have been since received here, that the body of the unfortunate girl was found quite naked in a barn not far from the last mentioned place, dead. There is also a report in circulation, that a soldier has confessed himself to have been the murderer. A hand-bill was circulated through the country on Wednesday, by the unhappy parents, offering a reward of 20, for any tidings of the child, either dead or living.

Thanks for the interesting additions Ms W.

Stan Reid

50 years ago - 1962 February 12 - The remains of aviator Bill Lancaster are found in the Sahara by French troops. He had vanished in 1933 while attempting to set a speed record for the flight from England to South Africa. In 1932, he was tried for the murder of Haden Clarke, a friend of his wife, in Florida. Lancaster was found not guilty and the case remains officially unsolved.

Stan Reid

11 February 150th Anniversary of Lizzie Siddal's death. Muse to the Pre-Raphaelites, "England's first supermodel",wife of Dante Gabriel Rossetti.
    She died of an overdose of laudenum, Rossetti was rumoured to have found a suicide note but the coroner ruled the death "accidental"

This is the deliciously morbid bit
    "Overcome with grief, Rossetti enclosed in Elizabeth's coffin a small journal containing the only copies he had of his many poems. He purportedly slid the book into Elizabeth's red hair. She was then interred at Highgate Cemetery in London. By 1869, Rossetti was chronically addicted to drugs and alcohol. He convinced himself that he was going blind and couldn't paint. He began to write poetry again. Before publishing his newer poems he became obsessed with retrieving the poems he had slipped into Elizabeth's hair. Rossetti and his agent, the notorious Charles Augustus Howell, applied to the Home Secretary for an order to have her coffin exhumed to retrieve the manuscript. This was done in the dead of night so as to avoid public curiosity and attention, and Rossetti was not present. Howell reported to Rossetti that her corpse was remarkably well preserved and her delicate beauty intact. Her hair was said to have continued to grow after death so that the coffin was filled with her flowing coppery hair. The manuscript was retrieved although a worm had burrowed through the book so that some of the poems were difficult to read. Rossetti published the old poems with his newer ones; they were not well received by some critics because of their eroticism, and he was haunted by the exhumation through the rest of his life."
    From wiki
    Last edited by badhorsie; 02-13-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    England's dancing days are done...

Yes, the MS tomb retrieval is one of those stories that make me thankful to have been an English major!

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast