1267 users online (227 members and 1040 guests)  

Websleuths News

Woman tried to sell baby for $10, police say

A Milwaukee woman was arrested early Wednesday for trying to sell her 6-day-old baby girl to a neighbor for $10, Milwaukee police said.

The woman, 32, came to her neighbor's door twice, the second time with the infant in her arms, police spokesman Sgt. Ken Henning said.

"She asked, 'Would you buy my baby for $10?' " Henning said.

The neighbor slammed the door and called police to the woman's apartment in the 3400 block of N. 40th St., Henning said.

Officers found the suspect, the newborn and a 1-year-old daughter, living in an apartment strewn with spoiled food and no refrigerator or stove, he said.

Denise Revels Robinson, director of the Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare, said Wednesday the children were being given a health screening. She said it's believed the baby was born Oct. 7. The other child was born Jan, 24, 2003, she said. There were no visible signs of abuse on the children, she said. They were placed in foster homes.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/oct04/266489.asp

A broke 32-year old with five kids. Why doesn't someone assist this woman to obtain some birth control? I felt really sorry for her until I read the part about her being highly intoxicated when she took the baby next door. Then I figured she's probably a crack head and needed the $10 for drugs.

Hi Jeana, on top of all this woman's other 'problems' she may have being also having some post natal depression ~ the baby blues.

I have a girlfriend who is a lawyer, an artist and one of the sweetest, smartest most level headed people I know. About 2 weeks after she had her baby ~ she lost her mind, she called me crying - said she didn't want her baby, and that I could have her. To come pick her up. No matter what I said to calm her down, to settle her down, she was so distraught, didn't want her baby - it was really scary - she was insisiting.. saying crazy things like someone will want her because she is fair skinned and blue eyed.

Anyway, I called her husband at work and her Mom, got them over to her..PRONTO. She was telling them the same thing - she changed her mind - she wanted to put her new little baby up for adoption, we were all freaked out. She had to be medicated and treated and within a day or so she was totally back to herself again. She was embarrassed, she doesn't understand how she could say those things, she felt so guilty about it.

We laugh about it now, whenever her daughter is in trouble she says I should have taken her when I had the chance.

Anyway, obviously this woman here is on drugs and not providing for her kids ~ but I am wondering if she had some problems like my friend did with imbalances.

I hope the whole family gets the help they need - this is a huge wake up call. Wonder where the dad (or dads) are hiding?

Cass,
    Its kind of you to give this woman the benefit of the doubt but ,unfortunately,I dont think thats what went on here!!

This woman is continuing a cycle.........she was very likely neglected/abused or even in the system as a child and now HER children are neglected/abused and in the system and then THEIR children etc etc
    Our inaduquate,inefficient and ineffective social service/foster care system is plaugued because of this reason(which is why this woman will very likely get her children back) and the system is so broke it will never get "fixed" which is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cases like this although no surprise just make me sick!
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

Quote Originally Posted by messiecake
    This woman is continuing a cycle.........she was very likely neglected/abused or even in the system as a child and now HER children are neglected/abused and in the system and then THEIR children etc etc
    Our inaduquate,inefficient and ineffective social service/foster care system is plaugued because of this reason(which is why this woman will very likely get her children back) and the system is so broke it will never get "fixed" which is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cases like this although no surprise just make me sick!
    Well said !!