760 users online (100 members and 660 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

340 text and word search

I've been wrong before and will probably be again, but prove me this time.
    I've been looking at the 340 as trying to un-encrypt it instead of trying to read it. First I went phoentic....what a garbled set of gruts and ooh's. That didn't work. People at work thought I had a stroke. I figured out that all had went through trying to subsitute letters for each symbol. Not wanting to do it again. Yet there are 60 some symbols and not enough letters. But, and I mean but, 1 for 1 was too simple. Even for the writer. But, I discovered, he wasn't that simple. Just one letter off, actually 2 letters off. I have this that others may, or may not, think is legitimate but, I have used it to answer the 340 and the others (My name is..# and the #Bomb is ...#, and it makes sense. I challenge others to use, the same program I did, {EXCEL}#no programming or macros) and to take a look at. To recreate it yourself in Excel use -1, 1 and +1. This would mean an "A" could also be a "B" or, also a "Z". Assume that each letter is a symbol. The zodiac symbol holds an "O" and a "T" or possibly an "X". For each letter, hidden or shown, there is only 3 possibilities for the answer. If 3 letters are a possibility, then there are 9 letters to consider. As a hint in the first couple of lines, the "R" hides a "P". The "O's" are "O's", therefor they can only equal an "N", "O" or "P".
    I have the text to all and some of it, believe it or not, is kinda funny, {There is nothing even simular to the previous decoded text, no kill this or kill that}.
    To start and to work it out I'll try to set the matrix for the "My name is__" letter. Using the same pretext, everyone will be able to solve the 340.
    Use this starting point and expand it. I have my own version of the 340, maybe others will see something else that makes sense. Remember it is a symbolic letter, if it looks like a letter, upside down, sideways, or partial, put it into the matrix and work out the possibilities.
    Once you have some of it, I would like to talk about "JOE". He is the main character.

Logically, whomever wrote the text didn't jump from simple replacement of letters to some un-godly code that he didn't want read. If he only wanted people to read and figure out 4 or 5 words, why write a paper of random gibberish.

Let's all get this right and discuss it......
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forgot, there is no wrong answer, just a different way of looking. Although if the first line come out as "ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY..." Hmmm??? Maybe we are seeing what we want to see....

With all due respect, it looks like gibberish to me. There are no clear words there, no clear message. With the first solved Zodiac Code, the message was clear "I like killing people...man is the most dangerous game..." I encourage every effort, and everyone can explore their own theories, but there is nothing to suggest Zodiac is doing what you state. He created codes. He did not use symbols to stand for letters that look like the symbol. I am just trying to save you from months of exploring a dead end.

In the 340, the + symbol almost certainly translates as "L", as "L" is one of the most frequent doubled words. And I can go on and on from there. I do believe that Graysmith got a large part of the 340 solution correct. I do believe that what is below is a completely correct or mostly correct solution. You would not get clear words and ideas like "I GIVE THEM HELL TOO...SEE A NAME...THESE FOOLSHALL SEE" otherwise. Plus the diagonal words like LIST, BOMBS, etc.

I'm clueless.

This is going to sound stupid. Especially because I am not actually familiar with what I am looking at (I have not read about this case). But if you look at that set of letters AKWILKS posted as if it is a boggle board, there are a whole lot of words or pairs of words that make it seem like it could be some animal liberation person. Starting with bombs, continuing with the s, you can get "bombs save them". Then under that m, going backwards on the second line, you get "he set last".

I see eat and tail together 3 times. things associated with captivity: bars, ties, stalls. some names of animals, pigs, magpies, seals. I'm guessing it's just coincidence/probability, but I just thought I would throw it out there.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AKWILKS View Post
    With all due respect, it looks like gibberish to me. There are no clear words there, no clear message. With the first solved Zodiac Code, the message was clear "I like killing people...man is the most dangerous game..." I encourage every effort, and everyone can explore their own theories, but there is nothing to suggest Zodiac is doing what you state. He created codes. He did not use symbols to stand for letters that look like the symbol. I am just trying to save you from months of exploring a dead end.

In the 340, the + symbol almost certainly translates as "L", as "L" is one of the most frequent doubled words. And I can go on and on from there. I do believe that Graysmith got a large part of the 340 solution correct. I do believe that what is below is a completely correct or mostly correct solution. You would not get clear words and ideas like "I GIVE THEM HELL TOO...SEE A NAME...THESE FOOLSHALL SEE" otherwise. Plus the diagonal words like LIST, BOMBS, etc.

I'm not going to mention that, although one way of looking at it, it might seem that you have a partial message. Although one way maybe the way to look at it. I mentioned that here is another way, but using my matrix, not yours, I have a sollution. I know yours is always just conjecture. Use the tools that is given(by gift) and work the question. I have the answer, you , on the other hand, are stuck on someones interpretation. I don't know whom reysmith is and dont care, if you want to solve a question, why use others instead of your own mental attitute. Why repeat what someone professes to know.... I have given the answer to any who wish to look....you..I think..need a different perscription.

The entire text is as explained, just look.....

Quote Originally Posted by rlc View Post
    This is going to sound stupid. Especially because I am not actually familiar with what I am looking at (I have not read about this case). But if you look at that set of letters AKWILKS posted as if it is a boggle board, there are a whole lot of words or pairs of words that make it seem like it could be some animal liberation person. Starting with bombs, continuing with the s, you can get "bombs save them". Then under that m, going backwards on the second line, you get "he set last".

I see eat and tail together 3 times. things associated with captivity: bars, ties, stalls. some names of animals, pigs, magpies, seals. I'm guessing it's just coincidence/probability, but I just thought I would throw it out there.
    Thats Amazing! Great job!

Zodiac sent bomb threats to the media, threatening to blow up a school bus full of children. Zodiac later denied he had set off a lethal bomb at a SFPD police station that killed an officer, though no one was ever caught. There were several unsolved bombings in San Francisco and Berkeley at the time, including one that took down a power line to a nuclear research facility. A leading Zodiac suspect was then a professor at Berkeley, Ted Kaczynski, who believed in the supremacy of nature and wild animals over technology and talked often of the "restraints" of society and how it kept people on a "leash". Ted hunted animals for food, but believed he lived in harmony with nature, and championed wild animals and untouched nature over industrialization. Ted certainly did believe that as the Unabomber his bombs were the only way to save natural man, wild animals and nature from a biotechnological nightmare of genetically engineered humans and animals and a computer takeover.

I see these possibles:

THESE BOMBS SAVE THEM

DUEL

Backwards 2nd line: HE SET LAST (BOOT) or HE SET LAST TOO HELL

Animals: MAGPIES PIGS SEALS ARF TAIL EAT

Restraints: TIES LEASH BARS STALLS LASH BALL TAKE LOSE

In fairness to ladderboy we can discuss my 340 solution here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6712456#post6712456"]Zodiac 340 Cryptogram Solution - Page 3 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Robert Graysmith wrote the book "Zodiac", which sold 4 million copies, renewed interest in the case and was the basis for the David Fincher film "Zodiac". His solution to the Zodiac 340 was mostly correct, and with improvements by Zander Kite and myself, and a new analysis, I think we have the correct solution. Others can disagree.

Ladderboy wrote:

Using the same format on the name letter is says "A FAN OK PENSMAN"

"PEN" is also referenced in the 340 text.

It also works on the directions to the bomb. I'm not familiar with the map and the reference is obscure but
    "CATINO RT AMEA NORTH" "TO FEUSAG DELPOMA". Again using the above, someone more familiar will find the correct spelling.

AK - I applaud your effort, perhaps you are on to something, but I just don't understand what the message is. That is not clear English words or ideas. "THESE BOMBS SAVE THEM" is a clear idea.

rlc,
    Thanks for not thinking narrowly..?....My only inflection was to get people to look at things on a different way. I have worked out the text. It has an trend of a personal letter to the editor. There is no reference to "KILL" or "DIE", or whatever. My answer, to others is that, he was a product of the 70's. no computer, no 128 bit encryption code. Just a pencil and paper. If people would take the time and think, for themselves, the answer, to the riddle, will no longer be a riddle. The answer, is as described. I share this only this time....or..........Who is Graysmith?

By the way it didn't take months to work this out...just a couple of hours. Maybe a day total, as far as time goes.

I do have the answer, you can also following -1, 1, and +1

rlc, I apologize. Just if you cant prove me wrong, why try....that was the question!!

If you start with a seed, the trees will soon bear fruit...
    That sounds stupid..Although, not wanting to start a continuing effort to prove my point, which is not my point, some people might want to use the -1 1 and +1 on the text. Still, if you do this, you will understand why I don't care who greysmith is or was. Just trying to be friendly, AWLIKS, try to think and work the puzzle, you have the answer...

AWLIKS,
    Would you be my manager??? What a publicist......I'm doing a local double blind test of people I know, Of the letters that are shown, thats all they have to work with. another set is a random generated set. No one, not even myself, knows who gets what. The question is, of the answers, of what I think the alphabetic text is, who or whom will answer the same as I. I have a definitative answer...its not 2 or 3 words scripted diagonally and then to an "L" shape to make something. Letter for letter it makes an idea and mostly a sentence.{He didn't spell everything out perfectly}.
    AWLIKS, Just open Excel and work it as stated, you will be surprised at how symplistic the entire code is. Otherwise ...as Gilda Radner would say "NEVERMIND"

Although I Might sees a little critical, Awliks and others I am sorry, I'm going to try to post the complete decoded 340 teXt here.
    It was in excel so here it is in plain text.(copywritten)

IF SMOKE AM OK INK U GOD
    YOU BOZO NEWS . MAKE P
    AY I CLUTZ FLIP MAP I S
    TOP A LAWMAN ON STR JO
    E BLU PUKE JOE OTOOL/
    PASEVLO JOE BLEW PEN
    A NUL POINT BY HM.OK J
    O GO IF I NOT DO YOU. A B
    ELL SAY NONE BUY BOOK
    -SKUM SLUT NOZ U GAY-
    TV SHOT DID YOU A PASVLO
    OK DARTH NO SON. SNAF
    U. A SUN TO JOE A COT A R
    AG GO U GONNA.DA NUTS
    SAY POT OK DEAL TOO I S
    IC. NO CLIP OK. EXR FO
    OD SUM ON DA TEL A JOK
    U SOLD OLD POT I SHIP P
    IG JELL A SAD SOB MIDD
    L LEG A OK SON OK LIK IT

That's every word and letter. It's not subscribed from a different text that has been massaged out from someone else. I still don't understand how the original writer spelled out the origial message, in a small marker, top to bottom, and managed to write diagonally or backwards smaller thickness lines, bottom to top.
    Don't be un original in thinking. To follow is not to lead.
    (Didn't want to be too cryptic)

Later
    Last edited by Ladderboy9; 06-24-2011 at 11:37 PM.

If anyone reads this I threw in DARTH to see if anyone was paying attention...

I had postd the original begining of the matrix to see if anyone would like to try it out and work the puzzle. If anyone took the time they would see that their are multiple words that can be assembled from referencing just 3 letters.
    I posted one version previously. I'm posting another. For those who are familiar with the time line and all the letters sent, see if this version works.

HE NAP BAM PLINK U GOE
    A OUCH NO NEWS.
    MAKE PAST CLUE TO FLIP MAP IS TOP.
    MAKE MAP ON TUPLO MAN UP HID IN FOT POL I
    PASAELO HAD CLEW PEN YOU LRN HO U BY FL.
    SA I PHOTE JAPS MY SOS.
    LA DA LUCY NONE BUY BOOK
    -OK TATL IT NOZ ME BY-
    U TRIP IF I DUN PASVLO PABLO KINN SON.
    UP BET OK SUN U MINE A BIT A RAG FAM GONNA.
    CLOTS U SAW ON TOLD FAM U NO IT ID.
    ON A KIN OK.
    EXR FOR CUTZ NO CLUE A VAJO BUTON TOLD ON SHT /
    HOP HE LEV LAT A EZ NAM -
    U CAN DI A OK SON PAVJL US.

Once again, this using every letter in the 340. With a shift from either the prior letter or next letter of what is in the original 340. Pretty sure that is 95%.
    Any comments? Anyone try it?

A valuable tool for your 340 research:
    http://www.ciphertool.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @TrueCrimeGuy or via my sites
    http://www.zodiackillersite.com/
    & TrueCrimeGuy.com

Thanks Tom...er ah....Morf...
    It was just something to let others to take a look. I think this is close. I've writen programs to work every combination of numbers available up to 40, and print it on a dot printer. (screwing around on the lotto) way too much paper. This, I looked at without the puter. It just seemed logical that instead of a 1 to 1 replacement that, if I were doing it, I would of used "Fiddler in the Rye, pg 157". But not being who wrote this, maybe they only had a limited selection of letters..like 26...and they might just not replace them but, just shift them. One up, one, and maybe One down, it might work. Not knowing how to spell "WAL-La", words appear. Maybe someone will have a larger vocabulary and work out the other possibilities.
    I have 10 sets of combinations out to people to see how many words, in the matrix, I set up, could be obvious. After seeing some of the more localized words, like "Tuplo",(Which is on the local map referenced) I believe that there is some merit in the key.
    I'm not sure about the "Japs" and the "SOS" though???
    If anyone has a comment, this is not my life ambition, just seeing if I need to up my own medication. and I have 3 more weeks vacation...
    Tom...er...ah...Morf...later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast