Identified! SC - Columbia, woman's body found burned, Mar'99 - Janice Evans

rcoope23

Reaction score
The time line works and little info on the UID based on the state of remains. The NamUs case file indicates Julia Garcia left with two of her children. It seems if this UID was Julia then her children would also be reported missing, or have been found wandering without their mother.

more fundamentally there is nothing to compare the two cases with. Julia has no DNA profile entered and no dentals. even if the UID were Julia, there is no basis on which to make the match.

one other thing. from all appearances, Julia was Mexican, most of whom are considered mestisos, which is ordinarily indigenous blood with some European (Spaniard) blood. the UID was of mixed Caucasian and African ancestry. I see those as mutually exclusive racial categorizations.

Thankyou to you both. I just wish everyone had an even chance of being identified but I guess life dosen't work that way. Some cases seem to have so much more information than others.

The decedent has been identified as Janice Gilchrist-Evans

2043018900045078242S600x600Q85.jpg
2763814610045078242S600x600Q85.jpg

Read More:
http://www.thestate.com/2011/10/08/2001371/victim-from-12-years-ago-identified.html

I don't see much similarity to the faces at all. Janice had a much rounder face than the sketch.

I really think we have to take these recons with grains of salt UNLESS they are basing it on a freshlly deceased person but don't want to show a morgue shot.

It's not so much the roundness of the faces, the artist got that right. But the artist made her face much longer, almost as if the decedent had a slacked jaw, and the artist didn't make the adjustment when portraying her with a closed mouth. Janice also has a much broader nose, and even if there was only a skull, you can tell the breadth of the nose from the width of the nasal aperture.

The remains were charred, so I wonder how that affected the ability to get an accurate recon.

But you're right about allowing a wide degree of tolerance when comparing faces to recons. Even the recons for freshly dead subjects are frequently way off.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back