GUILTY MA - Mobster James 'Whitey' Bulger charged with murder, racketeering

Oh wow! You know, I think it was on Rachel Maddow, one or two nights ago, where she talked about the FBI's new tact in seeking out Bulgar. Rachel doesn't usually talk about such things but she was impressed with the route they were taking. They had taken out ads, I think it was, with information about his wife/girlfriend, and they were seeking people who might have seen her or crossed paths with her. And, they took out ads in some particular kind of magazine aimed at women. Gosh, I wish I could remember. So now, I will go read the MSNBC article.

I guess the commercials/ads looking for him paid off. Fast capture in that sense.

Ah yes, the beauty salons! Thats it. So it will interesting to now look forward to followup articles and more information.

I thought this was a joke when I woke up this morning...the Great White Whale of the North East has been captured! I am almost disappointed...the legends and rumors were absolutely wonderful surrounding this guy. The primary one was that he was holed up in a room above a building on the UMASS campus....

Looking this morning for more information on the circumstances of the arrest and any other current info.

They are supposed to appear in court in Los Angeles this morning, might know more later. In the meantime, I like this article:

James 'Whitey' Bulger arrest: Neighbor says there was something different about the couple
June 23, 2011 | 7:23 am
Los Angeles Times

"A resident of the Santa Monica neighborhood where Boston crime boss James "Whitey" Bulger and his girlfriend were arrested knew there was something different about the couple.

Robert Goldman, 47, the owner of a cocker spaniel and a Chihuahua mix, said unlike many in the area, Bulger and Catherine Greig never asked to pet his dogs."

more...

There ya go! Fugitives be aware. Pet the dogs.

I feel the way Believe does--Bulger was legendary! Glad they were caught, but of all the places they could go, suburban Los Angeles? Now the FBI has to catch Robert Fisher the same way!

I cannot believe he's been in Santa Monica nearly the WHOLE time! I'm dying to know where their money was coming from. I read he paid the rent in cash & on time for 15 years.

The mafia and the gangsters involved are something that I do not claim to know. I do know Santa Monica, however, and I can assure you all that failing to pet dogs would be a clear marker that something wasn't "right" with you.

Kidding aside, a friend notified me that he'd heard that Bulger was also described as a pedophile. I checked and he's right. Pedophilia does not "go away". Who has been victimized while Bulger was in hiding? How many young children (he sounds to be indiscriminate) have been delivered to his house for his puerile pleasure?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/09/60minutes/main1386966.shtml

Henchman Tells Of Whitey's Black Deeds
March 9, 2006

"....Asked if he has any regrets about the loss of life he is responsible for, Weeks says no.

If he has any regrets, it is about one person he didn't kill. Howie Carr is a columnist for the Boston Herald, as well as a radio talk show host, who has been a thorn in the side of Whitey Bulger and his gang for 20 years.

"Whitey Bulger is a serial killer, cocaine dealer, bank robber, pedophile, very smart criminal," says Carr...."

more at link (3 pages)

And:

http://www.americanmafia.com/Feature_Articles_277.html

America's Children and the American Mafia
October 2004

"....The victimization of children by organized crime was also explored by reporters for the Boston Herald and Boston Globe during the late 1990s and into this decade as the scandal unfolded regarding the "Winter Hill" Gang, a group of Irish and Italian mobsters that ruled New England during the past two decades. This crime syndicate, led by "Whitey" Bulger, an FBI Informant, was made up of several pedophiles who preyed on underage girls, many of whom were plied with the illegal drugs that funded the gang’s operations. Some of these sexual encounters were videotaped for the pedophile market...."

more at link

And:

http://www.barcc.org/blog/details/confronting-my-neighborhoods-violent-past/

Confronting My Neighborhood’s Violent Past
March 21, 2010

"....Whitey Bulger, depending on which sources you consult, was allegedly a pedophile. In his book “The Brothers Bulger: How They Terrorized and Corrupted Boston for a Quarter Century,” Howie Carr (an unapologetic homophobe whom I don’t love quoting) asserts that, not only was the elder Bulger a gay prostitute, he was also a pedophile. Carr relays Whitey’s m.o. as described by one of the crime boss’s underlings, stating that “Whitey employed the same techniques on young males as the pedophile priests of the archdioceses of Boston. After seducing them, he would take the boys out for an ice cream cone.”

Whitey apparently also used the still-running Boston Athletic Club, located in a South Boston industrial park between Summer and First Streets, as a hub for sexual exploitation. According to Carr, Bulger “put in a two-way mirror that enabled him and his friends to enjoy a full-length view of the women’s locker room.” Carr further quotes one South Boston hood as saying that some of Bulger’s associates “surreptitiously watched through the two-way mirror as Whitey raped a fifteen-year-old girl.”

more at link

And we wonder how missing children go without being found.

I'll be interested to see if any charges involving children are lodged against Bulger.

The tip on his whereabouts came from a woman in Iceland. Also, they recovered more than $800,000 in cash from the walls of his apartment. Thats just what I heard on Rachel's show, haven't had time to read or look for any articles today.

This is a real long shot. A single sentence jumped out at me in this very informative article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_white...Ec2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDbW9ic3RlcnNydW5h

Mobster's run almost textbook case of evasion

"....They [Bulger and his girlfriend] spent time on New York's Long Island and lived six weeks in a two-bedroom apartment in the fishing village of Grand Isle, La., in 1996..."

Much more at link

The reason this sentence concerns me is that we have two threads concerning pedophiles and Grand Isle and Grand Isle is not a big town (1500 full time residents):

LA~Grand Isle officials sued over alleged child sex abuse cover-up - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

LA Voyeur At Mardis Gras Parade Turns Out To Be Far Worse - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The first thread concerns a man named Jerry Dantin and the other a man named Patrick Walsh. Dantin is being sued by a mother whose son was sexually abused by him. Her attorneys have alleged that Dantin was in cahoots with local LE and that they intentionally bungled the case. If it wasn't so sad, it would be laughable. Walsh was caught by two off-duty LEOs filming little girls at a Mardi Gras parade in a sexualized manner. When his home was searched, LE discovered a large stash of child *advertiser censored* and a "secret" room.

Just odd that Bulger would happen upon Grand Isle. Jerry Dantin is 76 and Patrick Walsh is 66. I wonder where those men might have lived prior to Grand Isle?

Just sayin'.

This is a good article from The New York Times about Catherine Elizabeth Greig.

If the link doesn't get you there without having to register, then just google the title.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/us/26greig.html

"A Gangster’s Gal Was Loyal to the End of Life on the Run"
By KATHARINE Q. SEELYE
Published: June 25, 2011

snips

"From an early age, Catherine Elizabeth Greig knew the life of a moll. By about 20, she had married a Boston firefighter named Bobby McGonagle, joining a family with close ties to a gang that was part of the Irish mafia in their South Boston neighborhood. ..."

+

"Mr. McGonagle and Ms. Greig were divorced within a few years, and she became involved with Mr. Bulger, who is more than 20 years her senior."

+

"Mr. Bulger became one of the country’s most notorious mobsters, and Ms. Greig stuck with him, though he continued to live with another woman. But in 1995, as the law closed in on him, Mr. Bulger and Ms. Greig began a 16-year odyssey together on the lam."

+

"Those who have been following the case for years say they still know little about Ms. Greig.

“No one really knows the dynamic of the relationship,” said Dick Lehr, a co-author with Gerard O’Neill of a 2001 book, “Black Mass: The True Story of an Unholy Alliance Between the F.B.I. and the Irish Mob.” “But he is a master of the double cross, both in his personal life and his professional life.”"

Much much more... She had been a doggie lover. She gave her doggies up for Whitey.

I'm out of my league here but could it be of any interest that Frederick Champa's (described as a Capo Regime out of Boston) nephew, Matteo Patrick Giovanditto, was killed last Thanksgiving in Celebration, FL's first murder. A young transient man has confessed to the murder. We have a thread and there are many questions about that death. Could something have been found on Giovanditto's computer which gave LE info about Bulger? Champa died not long ago but was from Boston and about the same age as Bulger. I don't know if there was any connection between the two.

Matteo "Patrick" Giovanditto-first murder in the picture-perfect town by Disney - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I'm out of my league here but could it be of any interest that Frederick Champa's (described as a Capo Regime out of Boston) nephew, Matteo Patrick Giovanditto, was killed last Thanksgiving in Celebration, FL's first murder. A young transient man has confessed to the murder. We have a thread and there are many questions about that death. Could something have been found on Giovanditto's computer which gave LE info about Bulger? Champa died not long ago but was from Boston and about the same age as Bulger. I don't know if there was any connection between the two.

Matteo "Patrick" Giovanditto-first murder in the picture-perfect town by Disney - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Hi Missizzy! Personally, I doubt there is any connection at all between the two. And, it seems that the tip that led to the arrest of Bulger and Grieg came as a result of the FBI placing the wanted ads for the wife, but more specifically I think, from the publicity surrounding the ads. Apparently, the ads were discussed on The View early this past week (and other shows), and some woman in Iceland saw it, realized she had run into them, and informed the FBI.

Also, I am not so sure that anything that Howie Carr says can be automatically believed. In fact, although I have never heard of him before, I have looked into him now a little bit, and he is a waste of my time. You do know he put his newspaper at risk and subjected them to what turned out to be a 3.5 Million dollar slander lawsuit against Carr and the paper. Carr and the paper lost. He just seems to me to be another in a long list of purely nasty people. Although he doesn't kill people, he might as well. Just too much hatred.

Murder trial of reputed mob boss Whitey Bulger to begin in Boston

BOSTON – James "Whitey" Bulger is no longer the feared man who swaggered around South Boston and later became one of the nation's most-wanted fugitives.
At 83, the bright platinum hair that earned Bulger his nickname is all but gone and his reputed status as the leader of a violent gang has passed.
But as Bulger's long-awaited trial gets underway, it's clear that the passage of time has done little to diminish Boston's fascination with Bulger.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/0...itey-bulger-to-begin-in-boston/#ixzz2VA09oP51

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back