1277 users online (267 members and 1010 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Lakehead, WhtMale, 20-50, handcuffed, buried in woods, Dec'03

This case is neither in DoeNet, nor NamUs. So I am putting it up here.

I found it in an online listing of Northern California unsolved homicides.

http://www.redding.com/databases/uns...rders-redding/

ETA: There are three other Doe cases listed that don't appear to be in NamUs or DoeNet, but there is not enough info on them to start a thread.

But for this one, the description on the listing reads as follows:
    Bones, skull fragments and bits of dark colored hair found. Believed to be those of a white man between 20 and 50 years old and between 5 feet, 2 inches and 5 feet, 7 inches tall
    There are also links to several news articles.

http://www.redding.com/news/2003/dec...remains-found/
    Trapper Danial Genaro of Lakehead and his 19-year-old daughter, Samantha, found the bones near a shallow gravesite Dec. 3. They were setting fox traps in an area off Dog Creek Road north of Lakehead. The disturbed grave was discovered near a fire access road less than five miles from the Dog Creek Road exit on Interstate 5.

Genaro said he first noticed handcuffs on the ground and then saw what appeared to be a grave that a bear had dug up.

[...]

"We're surmising it's not an extremely old site, but the exact months or time element, I couldn't even tell you," [Shasta County sheriff's Sgt. Jim] Mize said.
    http://www.redding.com/news/2004/mar...victim-murder/

Human remains discovered in a makeshift grave near Lakehead in December are those of a white man who is believed to have been murdered, a Shasta County sheriffs sergeant said Wednesday.

The bones, skull fragments and bits of dark colored hair are those of a man between 20 and 50 years old and between 5 feet, 2 inches and 5 feet, 7 inches tall, said sheriffs Sgt. Jim Mize.

[...]

Although no cause of death has been established, Mize said other circumstances led investigators to believe the man was murdered.

He said investigators believe that the gravesite was relatively fresh.

We dont know if the body was dumped or if it happened right there, Mize said.

But the remains do not match any missing persons reported locally and detectives have notified other law enforcement agencies of the victims description.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 04-01-2013 at 02:25 PM.

This guy fits the description, and was last seen in nearby Redding:

Wade Andrew Borthwick

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...wick_wade.html

* "white man" - Check
    * "between 20 and 50" - Check (45 years old)
    * "between 5 feet, 2 inches and 5 feet, 7 inches tall" - Check (5'7")
    * "bits of dark colored hair" - Check (appears to be dark mixed w/grey)
    * "the gravesite was relatively fresh" - Check (found 10-11 months after DLC)
    * Dog Creek Road is about 35 miles from Redding.

It says that the remains do not match any missing persons reported locally. However, given the inexact DLC, it does not appear that he was reported missing very soon after he was last seen. Perhaps he was reported missing after the last time that they had combed through local MP reports.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 06-24-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Looks like a viable possible match Carl. If I may respectfully suggest contacting Shasta County to verify this John doe is still in fact unidentified. I ask because I've run across blogs which still list MP's as missing long after they are recovered. I've seen this often enough that unless the UID or MP appears on a more credible updated site such as a government agency site or a site such as doenet, or charley I always verify the case is still open before spending a lot of time.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.