CA CA - Lakehead, WhtMale, 20-50, handcuffed, buried in woods, Dec'03

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This case is neither in DoeNet, nor NamUs. So I am putting it up here.

I found it in an online listing of Northern California unsolved homicides.

http://www.redding.com/databases/unsolved-murders-redding/

ETA: There are three other Doe cases listed that don't appear to be in NamUs or DoeNet, but there is not enough info on them to start a thread.

But for this one, the description on the listing reads as follows:
Bones, skull fragments and bits of dark colored hair found. Believed to be those of a white man between 20 and 50 years old and between 5 feet, 2 inches and 5 feet, 7 inches tall

There are also links to several news articles.

http://www.redding.com/news/2003/dec/17/human-remains-found/
Trapper Danial Genaro of Lakehead and his 19-year-old daughter, Samantha, found the bones near a shallow gravesite Dec. 3. They were setting fox traps in an area off Dog Creek Road north of Lakehead. The disturbed grave was discovered near a fire access road less than five miles from the Dog Creek Road exit on Interstate 5.

Genaro said he first noticed handcuffs on the ground and then saw what appeared to be a grave that a bear had dug up.

[...]

"We're surmising it's not an extremely old site, but the exact months or time element, I couldn't even tell you," [Shasta County sheriff's Sgt. Jim] Mize said.

http://www.redding.com/news/2004/mar/18/remains-believed-be-victim-murder/

Human remains discovered in a makeshift grave near Lakehead in December are those of a white man who is believed to have been murdered, a Shasta County sheriffs sergeant said Wednesday.

The bones, skull fragments and bits of dark colored hair are those of a man between 20 and 50 years old and between 5 feet, 2 inches and 5 feet, 7 inches tall, said sheriffs Sgt. Jim Mize.

[...]

Although no cause of death has been established, Mize said other circumstances led investigators to believe the man was murdered.

He said investigators believe that the gravesite was relatively fresh.

We dont know if the body was dumped or if it happened right there, Mize said.

But the remains do not match any missing persons reported locally and detectives have notified other law enforcement agencies of the victims description.

This guy fits the description, and was last seen in nearby Redding:

Wade Andrew Borthwick
borthwick_wade.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/borthwick_wade.html

* "white man" - Check
* "between 20 and 50" - Check (45 years old)
* "between 5 feet, 2 inches and 5 feet, 7 inches tall" - Check (5'7")
* "bits of dark colored hair" - Check (appears to be dark mixed w/grey)
* "the gravesite was relatively fresh" - Check (found 10-11 months after DLC)
* Dog Creek Road is about 35 miles from Redding.

It says that the remains do not match any missing persons reported locally. However, given the inexact DLC, it does not appear that he was reported missing very soon after he was last seen. Perhaps he was reported missing after the last time that they had combed through local MP reports.

Looks like a viable possible match Carl. If I may respectfully suggest contacting Shasta County to verify this John doe is still in fact unidentified. I ask because I've run across blogs which still list MP's as missing long after they are recovered. I've seen this often enough that unless the UID or MP appears on a more credible updated site such as a government agency site or a site such as doenet, or charley I always verify the case is still open before spending a lot of time.

Hoping these remains were eventually ID; if not they are still not in Namus, that I could find.

These remains are now in NamUs:

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

#UP80861
ME/C Case Number C03-1162

Sex Male
Race/Ethnicity Uncertain
Estimated Age Group Adult - Pre 40
Estimated Year of Death 1995-2003
Height 5' 4"-5' 7"(64-67 inches) , Estimated
Weight Cannot Estimate\

Location Lakehead-Lakeshore, California 96051
County Shasta County

Circumstances of Recovery Animal trapper came upon shallow grave that had been dug up by a bear. Skeletal remains found in and surrounding area.

Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description approximately 14-18" long brown/black hair, straight in texture
Left Eye Color Missing Eye
Right Eye Color Missing Eye

Clothing
Levi's brand work pants: appear to be light brown but are sun-faded, unsure of color. Size 36x30
Near the Body

Clothing
torn t-shirt with no logo. Tag is Kirkland (Costco) brand, size XL 46-48. Kirkland was formed in 1995, body located skeletonized and predated on in December 2003.
Near the Body

Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members