1256 users online (208 members and 1048 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Emma Peel is offline Keep your bowler hat on in times of trouble, & beware of diabolical masterminds.

NY State Legalizes Gay Marriage !!!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,1496953.story

And... the annual Gay Pride Parade in NYC is tomorrow.

Here at home, we listened for hours to the Legislative proceedings on this bill. One by one by one. Each spoke for 2 minutes. My daughter, along with her entire college e-mailed her Poughkeepsie Republican hold-out congressman today. He was the tie-breaking holdout & tonight he changed his vote to pass the bill. And as it turns out, so did a few others...

At this moment, I am just SO proud to say I AM A NEW YORKER.

When a second Republican, Sen. Roy McDonald, announced his support, proponents needed just one more vote for passage. McDonald said his decision was based on his conscience as much as constituents' opinions. "You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing," he said.

I know where you post.

Rachel Maddow covered the final votes on her show tonight. Its fantastic news!!!

that is great news!

I'm lovin Senator McDonald (and his constituents) right now! What a great thing to say.

i hope to see more of these threads with each state in the title.

I am so proud to say that I am a New Yorker!
    Such wonderful news for the families and loved ones who have been waiting for this a long time! It must be such a wonderful feeling

Quote Originally Posted by MrsG728 View Post
    I am so proud to say that I am a New Yorker!
    Such wonderful news for the families and loved ones who have been waiting for this a long time! It must be such a wonderful feeling
    And, I'm so embarrassed to be a Minnesotan. Our conservative Republican legislature knew they would never get a marriage amendment as between a man and a woman by Democrat Governor Mark Dayton, so they opted to have it put on the ballot for November. Can you believe this?

And, further, Minnesota's govenment may shut down on Jul 1 because the legislature thought up items like this instead of working on a state budget.

This is great news to wake up to. I bet the parade today will be just wild with excitement!!

A very good day that shows people can evolve and that those who claim government is too intrusive can prove they really believe that.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/...html?hpt=hp_t1

New York governor signs same-sex marriage bill into law
    By the CNN Wire Staff
    June 25, 2011 4:52 a.m. EDT

Albany, New York (CNN) -- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the state's marriage equality bill hours after it passed the Republican-controlled Senate on Friday night, making it the sixth state in the nation to legalize same-sex marriage.

Cuomo signed the bill into law after the legislature cleared the way to legalize same-sex marriage with a 33-to-29 vote, the first time a state Senate with a Republican majority has approved such a bill.

The new law, which will allow same-sex couples in New York to marry within 30 days, drew a sharp rebuke from opponents, who spent millions to try to defeat the measure....

Woot, everyone deserves the same rights. Its another step in the right direction.
    My opinion is MINE!

Congratulations to all New Yorkers, gay and straight!

Here in California--while we wait for the courts to rule on Prop 8--those of us who married during the six month window when gay marriage was legal here are celebrating our third anniversaries. And I swear I've yet to see how anyone is harmed when equal rights are granted to everyone.

Emma Peel is offline Keep your bowler hat on in times of trouble, & beware of diabolical masterminds.
    http://www.tvguide.com/News/Celebrit...i&profileid=05

"happy gays r here again !!!!!" —Rosie O'Donnell

a total understatement.

http://www.themenevent.com/images/ar...ide-739745.jpg
    I know where you post.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/ny...-new-york.html

How NY's Governor Andrew Cuomo led the charge to pull this off.

Mr. Cuomo invited the Republicans to visit him at the governor’s residence, a 40-room Victorian mansion overlooking the Hudson River, just a few blocks from the Capitol.

There, in a speech the public would never hear, he offered his most direct and impassioned case for allowing gays to wed. Gay couples, he said, wanted recognition from the state that they were no different than the lawmakers in the room. “Their love is worth the same as your love,” Mr. Cuomo said, according to someone who was in the room. “Their partnership is worth the same as your partnership. And they are equal in your eyes to you. That is the driving issue.”

In the late hours of Friday night, 33 members of the State Senate agreed with him.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...#ixzz1QJMZaCra

[quote]What does it mean? "It means that all of my friends can finally do the thing that they wanted to do, that I can do," Alison Casillo told CBS Station WCBS. "It means that we're equal."

CBS News correspondent Seth Doane reports that New York is a state with no residency requirement for marriage - meaning couples can come from anywhere to get married here.

Of course that is a boon to businesses - something that was undoubtedly part of the equation for some lawmakers.

A religious exemption was also built into the bill to assuage some opponents. "Whoever opposes the rights of gays and lesbians to marry - whatever religious institution, whether it's the Catholic Church, Orthodox Jews, anyone else - they are not required to marry any couple they do not want to marry," Elizabeth Cooper of Fordham University Law School told CBS News.

New York State's Republican Heroes:

Ultimately, gay couples will be able to marry because of two previously undecided Republicans from upstate regions far more conservative than the New York City base of the gay rights movement.

Sen. Stephen Saland, Poughkeepsie, 67, voted against a similar bill in 2009, helping kill the measure and dealing a blow to the national gay rights movement. On Friday night, gay marriage supporters wept in the Senate gallery as Saland explained how his strong, traditionally family upbringing led him to embrace legalizing gay marriage.

"While I understand that my vote will disappoint many, I also know my vote is a vote of conscience," Saland, of Poughkeepsie, said in a statement to The Associated Press before the vote. "I am doing the right thing in voting to support marriage equality."

Also voting for the bill was freshman Sen. Mark Grisanti, a Buffalo Republican who also had been undecided. Grisanti said he could not deny anyone what he called basic rights.

"I apologize to those I offend," said Grisanti, a Roman Catholic. "But I believe you can be wiser today than yesterday. I believe this state needs to provide equal rights and protections for all its residents," he said.
    Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...#ixzz1QJNHD3QW
    I know where you post.

Those quotes from Sen. Saland and Sen. Grisanti just warm my heart, as silly as it sounds. this is a human rights, not a political, issue.

Someday, it'll be legal down here in the South. I doubt it will be soon, since a lot of the religionists still preach to me about the sins of my interracial dating. lol.

I watched this last night on the news. Made me smile.

Wonderful news

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast