NY State Legalizes Gay Marriage !!!

Emma Peel

an unexpected turn of events
Reaction score
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/la-naw-0625-ny-gay-marriage-20110625,0,1496953.story

:great::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::great:

:fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

And... the annual Gay Pride Parade in NYC is tomorrow.

Here at home, we listened for hours to the Legislative proceedings on this bill. One by one by one. Each spoke for 2 minutes. My daughter, along with her entire college e-mailed her Poughkeepsie Republican hold-out congressman today. He was the tie-breaking holdout & tonight he changed his vote to pass the bill. And as it turns out, so did a few others...

At this moment, I am just SO proud to say I AM A NEW YORKER.

When a second Republican, Sen. Roy McDonald, announced his support, proponents needed just one more vote for passage. McDonald said his decision was based on his conscience as much as constituents' opinions. "You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing," he said.

:blowkiss:

Rachel Maddow covered the final votes on her show tonight. Its fantastic news!!!

:woohoo: :great: :woohoo: :great:

that is great news!

I'm lovin Senator McDonald (and his constituents) right now! What a great thing to say.

i hope to see more of these threads with each state in the title.

:great: I am so proud to say that I am a New Yorker! :great:
Such wonderful news for the families and loved ones who have been waiting for this a long time! It must be such a wonderful feeling :)
:rocker:

:great: I am so proud to say that I am a New Yorker! :great:
Such wonderful news for the families and loved ones who have been waiting for this a long time! It must be such a wonderful feeling :) :rocker:

And, I'm so embarrassed to be a Minnesotan. Our conservative Republican legislature knew they would never get a marriage amendment as between a man and a woman by Democrat Governor Mark Dayton, so they opted to have it put on the ballot for November. Can you believe this?

And, further, Minnesota's govenment may shut down on Jul 1 because the legislature thought up items like this instead of working on a state budget.

This is great news to wake up to. I bet the parade today will be just wild with excitement!!

A very good day that shows people can evolve and that those who claim government is too intrusive can prove they really believe that.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/25/new.york.gay.marriage/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

New York governor signs same-sex marriage bill into law
By the CNN Wire Staff
June 25, 2011 4:52 a.m. EDT

Albany, New York (CNN) -- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the state's marriage equality bill hours after it passed the Republican-controlled Senate on Friday night, making it the sixth state in the nation to legalize same-sex marriage.

Cuomo signed the bill into law after the legislature cleared the way to legalize same-sex marriage with a 33-to-29 vote, the first time a state Senate with a Republican majority has approved such a bill.

The new law, which will allow same-sex couples in New York to marry within 30 days, drew a sharp rebuke from opponents, who spent millions to try to defeat the measure....

Woot, everyone deserves the same rights. Its another step in the right direction.

Congratulations to all New Yorkers, gay and straight!

Here in California--while we wait for the courts to rule on Prop 8--those of us who married during the six month window when gay marriage was legal here are celebrating our third anniversaries. And I swear I've yet to see how anyone is harmed when equal rights are granted to everyone.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Celebrities-Gay-Marriage-1034584.aspx?rss=news&partnerid=spi&profileid=05

"happy gays r here again !!!!!" —Rosie O'Donnell
:giggle:

a total understatement.

article_gay_pride-739745.jpg

http://www.themenevent.com/images/article_gay_pride-739745.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/nyregion/the-road-to-gay-marriage-in-new-york.html

How NY's Governor Andrew Cuomo led the charge to pull this off.

Mr. Cuomo invited the Republicans to visit him at the governor’s residence, a 40-room Victorian mansion overlooking the Hudson River, just a few blocks from the Capitol.

There, in a speech the public would never hear, he offered his most direct and impassioned case for allowing gays to wed. Gay couples, he said, wanted recognition from the state that they were no different than the lawmakers in the room. “Their love is worth the same as your love,” Mr. Cuomo said, according to someone who was in the room. “Their partnership is worth the same as your partnership. And they are equal in your eyes to you. That is the driving issue.”

In the late hours of Friday night, 33 members of the State Senate agreed with him.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/25/earlyshow/saturday/main20074349.shtml#ixzz1QJMZaCra

What does it mean? "It means that all of my friends can finally do the thing that they wanted to do, that I can do," Alison Casillo told CBS Station WCBS. "It means that we're equal."

CBS News correspondent Seth Doane reports that New York is a state with no residency requirement for marriage - meaning couples can come from anywhere to get married here.

Of course that is a boon to businesses - something that was undoubtedly part of the equation for some lawmakers.

A religious exemption was also built into the bill to assuage some opponents. "Whoever opposes the rights of gays and lesbians to marry - whatever religious institution, whether it's the Catholic Church, Orthodox Jews, anyone else - they are not required to marry any couple they do not want to marry," Elizabeth Cooper of Fordham University Law School told CBS News.

New York State's Republican Heroes:

Ultimately, gay couples will be able to marry because of two previously undecided Republicans from upstate regions far more conservative than the New York City base of the gay rights movement.

Sen. Stephen Saland, Poughkeepsie, 67, voted against a similar bill in 2009, helping kill the measure and dealing a blow to the national gay rights movement. On Friday night, gay marriage supporters wept in the Senate gallery as Saland explained how his strong, traditionally family upbringing led him to embrace legalizing gay marriage.

"While I understand that my vote will disappoint many, I also know my vote is a vote of conscience," Saland, of Poughkeepsie, said in a statement to The Associated Press before the vote. "I am doing the right thing in voting to support marriage equality."

Also voting for the bill was freshman Sen. Mark Grisanti, a Buffalo Republican who also had been undecided. Grisanti said he could not deny anyone what he called basic rights.

"I apologize to those I offend," said Grisanti, a Roman Catholic. "But I believe you can be wiser today than yesterday. I believe this state needs to provide equal rights and protections for all its residents," he said.
Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/25/earlyshow/saturday/main20074349.shtml#ixzz1QJNHD3QW

Those quotes from Sen. Saland and Sen. Grisanti just warm my heart, as silly as it sounds. :eek: this is a human rights, not a political, issue.

Someday, it'll be legal down here in the South. I doubt it will be soon, since a lot of the religionists still preach to me about the sins of my interracial dating. lol.

I watched this last night on the news. Made me smile.

Wonderful news :)

http://brooklyn.ny1.com/content/new...s-react-to-passage-of-same-sex-marriage-bill/

State Pride, Gay Pride. Just wanted to post the NY Gov's quote.

"What this state said today brings this discussion of marriage equality to a new plane. That's the power and beauty of New York," said Cuomo. "The other states look to New York for the progressive direction and what we said today was you look to New York once again because New York made a powerful statement, not only for the people of New York, but for the people across this nation. We reached a new level of social justice this evening."

Governor Andrew Cuomo signed the bill just before midnight.

......and a little further into the article .... this quote really got to me ...
New York is now the sixth and largest state to allow same-sex marriage.

City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, who is openly gay, was at a news conference about the city budget when she got the news that the same-sex marriage bill had passed.

Quinn got emotional when talking about the new law to reporters.

"To say that you, what you know if your heart is true, that you are a full member of the state. And that your family is as good as any other family. And tomorrow my family will gather for my niece's college graduation party. And that will be a totally different day because we'll get to talk about when our wedding will be and what it will look like," Quinn said.

Let’s hope marriages are gay, happy occasions. I expect there will be a lot of unintended consequences with “any two [adult humans] make a marriage,” particularly when children are “involved,” estate settlements get nasty, divorce settlements expand, and other matters of “marriage” expand beyond simple contract law, civil courts and religions. It boggles the mind, at least my little kitty brain is boggled by the prospects, but it is the progressive way. The “statements of understanding” and prenuptial agreements will likely have a lot of new twists and turns ... and the lawyers will certainly applaud, applaud and applaud, at each discontent and controversy. At least a lot of pretenders will be held to task.

Russell

Got a question. Is a gay marriage that takes place in NY recognized in other states? What a quagmire if it isn't.

Is a gay marriage recognized for federal income taxes?

Guess I've answered my own first question. Gay marriage, although not legal in these states, is still recognized: Rhode Island and Maryland. Again, what a quagmire.

:rocker::loveyou: :cheer::cheer:

:woot: :party:

:fireworks2:

:toastred: :toast:

:cloud9:

Chalk up a win for humanity~ :thumb:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/nyregion/the-road-to-gay-marriage-in-new-york.html

How NY's Governor Andrew Cuomo led the charge to pull this off.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/25/earlyshow/saturday/main20074349.shtml#ixzz1QJMZaCra

What does it mean? "It means that all of my friends can finally do the thing that they wanted to do, that I can do," Alison Casillo told CBS Station WCBS. "It means that we're equal."

CBS News correspondent Seth Doane reports that New York is a state with no residency requirement for marriage - meaning couples can come from anywhere to get married here.

Of course that is a boon to businesses - something that was undoubtedly part of the equation for some lawmakers.

A religious exemption was also built into the bill to assuage some opponents. "Whoever opposes the rights of gays and lesbians to marry - whatever religious institution, whether it's the Catholic Church, Orthodox Jews, anyone else - they are not required to marry any couple they do not want to marry," Elizabeth Cooper of Fordham University Law School told CBS News.

New York State's Republican Heroes:

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/25/earlyshow/saturday/main20074349.shtml#ixzz1QJNHD3QW

:tyou: for this post! What wonderful news! Children of the world...peace and love is on its way today. :blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back