If Casey Anthony was a man, wouldn't a death penalty verdict be certain?

kevmob77

Reaction score
I find the hypocrisy in the justice system almost comical sometimes. Let's be honest, if Casey Anthony was a man with all of this evidence against her, I think the jury would deliberate for about an hour with 1st degree murder as their decision.

The evidence against Casey makes Scott Peterson seem like Peter Pan.

No, but that's only my opinion. For instance, Chris Coleman was up for the death penalty for murdering his wife and two sons by strangling them in their beds while they slept and that didn't get him the death penalty. If ever a case deserved the DP, his did. He opted to release the jury and let the judge sentence him, but the jurors still said they wouldn't vote DP.

I find the hypocrisy in the justice system almost comical sometimes. Let's be honest, if Casey Anthony was a man with all of this evidence against her, I think the jury would deliberate for about an hour with 1st degree murder as their decision.

ita and if ICA was a male non-relative that lived next door he would have been killed by another prisoner in jail while waiting for trial or by the same mob that lines up and runs down the court hallway to see ICA

No it doesn't where the perp is concerned. I will take a leap here respectfully. I have thought about all the attention this case has gotten, almost a million posts.... and no doubt this forum will reach a million posts prior to a verdict being reached and this forum will still be open and active into appeals if necessary.

What about the male victims who do not get the same attention as Caylee?
With all due respect, and considering ANY and ALL children who die at the hand of the parent are equally victims, what Ethan Stacy endured was and is far more horrific than what Caylee endured. At min with the desecration of his remains and how his father felt he had little argument as the primary caregiver of his child. IMO what attracts folks to this case is ICA's most bizzare behavior along with the reaction of her parents and only sibling.

My heart breaks for all the male victims who get so little attention more so than the gender of the perp.

JMVHOR

Oh goody, we have a new DR inmate in Florida.

Ana Marie Cardona
WF, born 11/26/61, was sentenced from Miami-Dade County for the torture murder of her three-year-old son. The boy was nicknamed "Baby Lollipops" because of the tee shirt he was wearing when the police found his beaten body. The sentence was vacated on November 22, 2002. She was re-sentenced to death in June 2011 by Circuit Judge Reemberto Diaz in a Miami-Dade courtroom.

Nope - I don't think being a female gives you a pass - especially when it comes to killing your baby.

This would be 2 new DR female inmates. One added in May, 1 in June, and I expect 1 in July :)

ps: though I think the judge may just hand out LWOP. But I have to hope that all major events come in 3's -- so death row is waiting for another inmate!

MOO

Mel

Oh goody, we have a new DR inmate in Florida.

Ana Marie Cardona
WF, born 11/26/61, was sentenced from Miami-Dade County for the torture murder of her three-year-old son. The boy was nicknamed "Baby Lollipops" because of the tee shirt he was wearing when the police found his beaten body. The sentence was vacated on November 22, 2002. She was re-sentenced to death in June 2011 by Circuit Judge Reemberto Diaz in a Miami-Dade courtroom.

Nope - I don't think being a female gives you a pass - especially when it comes to killing your baby.

This would be 2 new DR female inmates. One added in May, 1 in June, and I expect 1 in July :)

ps: though I think the judge may just hand out LWOP. But I have to hope that all major events come in 3's -- so death row is waiting for another inmate!

MOO

Mel

Good post Melanie.I don't see why gender should be a point here.

I dunno. Esp early on I saw a lot of comments (not here) that went in the direction that a "pretty girl" like KC would never do that to her child by a lot of people. The woman sentenced above appears to me to be a sagged face perhaps on drugs look to her face in photos. I think many have no reservations about convicting someone that looks..brutish regardless of sex but, have a different take when it is a "pretty girl".

In a similar act here in SC for statutory rape say a pretty female teacher gets little time vs. a haggard looking woman that did the same offense.
In the case where the very pretty teacher did this the one juror afterwards even commented on it by using the old Van Halen song..."Hot for Teacher."

I kind of agree, but I'm thinking that if a male perp's defense was that he'd been molested by multiple family members, there would be a higher chance of him not getting the death penalty than a woman using the same defense.

JMO

A man wouldn't get any sympathy even if abuse was proven given the evidence, neither would an uglier woman who wasn't a good liar like eileen wournos. The media sensation is mostly to blame for all the confusion imo

I really do not know the answer to that question. But, I do wonder if Casey was a man if so many talking heads would tout the idea that Cindy lying on the stand is understandable because it is her "child?"

I don't know if the jury would separate the idea of a man vs a woman when they get to the point of deliberation. I would hope, at that point whatever the seriousness of the crime would decide the verdict. But, people may have personal reasons based on sexist ideas that are built into society and upbringing...so...like I said I really don't know.

But, I do think the fact that Casey is a female has been taken advantage of by the defense. Calling Casey a "child" and a "young girl", dressing her in less fashionable clothes than she would have wore in the world and allowing the dramatics of her family to pull at the heart strings of mothers and grandmothers everywhere. It is the defense that has turned Casey's case into an issue of gender, imo, if there be one. :yes:

It was Jose who has stated it is Casey's age and looks are a part of this case. Jose has said in open court, in his opening statement this is part of why the media is so interested in her and part of why "we are in court today." I think most people who feel she is guilty as sin do not care one whit about her being a female or male.

It is hard for humanity to wake up to the idea that not all mothers love their children. Take the age old idea of the insane stranger walking the streets at night looking for a child as their victim-the story given to my generation for what was happening to children-and replace that monster with the child's very own parents. That is the truth of the death of the majority of children who are murdered and abused. It is not the bushy haired stranger or the ethnic man who was seen in the "wrong" neighborhood-it is the parents.

Sorry to go a bit off topic but the question raised by this thread is complex, the sign of a good question and something that probably should be discussed. :tyou:

:cow:

Yes. I felt no sympathy whatsoever for Scott Peterson but I must admit that I have occassionally felt a tiny bit of compassion for Casey because she is a young female. I wonder what her life could have been like had she chosen to use her talents to lead a productive life. I still believe she is guilty and deserves the ultimate punishment.

how different would the scales of justice be if she was a minority female left in the hands of a public defender...

No, I don't think so. That decision is left up to the jurors, and if 12 people think a man is more likely to do this than a woman, than that is not a sign that our legal system is failing, it is a sign of our social system failing. The hypocrisy would lie in the minds of the jurors.

I also don't think a man would have JB as lead counsel, so he would certainly have a better chance.

I think the class aspect is more telling here. If someone looked at a mugshot of that April girl whose child drowned (can't recall last name) with her glazed look and her meth sores, nobody would bat an eye at hearing that she was arrested for murdering her child. Before her arrest, Casey looked "clean," pretty, and middle-class, and that's not what people expect in a murderer.

Not if his Mother were CA!

I don't think it really makes a difference in this case. What does make a difference is the craziness of the family and how they are intertwined. If Lee had been a single dad living with George and Cindy and the same type thing had occurred (his child went missing and he acted like it didn't happen) I think we would have been at pretty much the same point. The media interest would have been different because Casey's partying really increased that, but as far as the jury hearing the case I think it would have been very similar with a similar result (whatever that is going to be).

I don´t think that death sentence would be a certainty if Casey were a man. I don´t think it has been proven that little Caylee was muredered with premeditation, so be it a man or woman, they really can´t impose the death penalty in my opinion.

I don´t think that death sentence would be a certainty if Casey were a man. I don´t think it has been proven that little Caylee was muredered with premeditation, so be it a man or woman, they really can´t impose the death penalty in my opinion.

Ok, so "neck breaking", "ruptured spleen", "chest trauma", "internal bleeding", and "chloroform" performed on a search doesn't indicate a premeditation to murder someone? Then what does, exactly?

An even better question is how long would it have taken for the authorities to find out Caylee was "missing" if her grandmother didn't report it first?

My initial opinion was yes, if Casey was a man it would be easier to warrent the DP.

I say that because if you look on here in many threads many opinions are the jury will not give Casey the DP because she is female and young? So what?

Does that mean if she were male, young or old there is a better chance of DP?

Not if his Mother were CA!
The difference was- Jackie Peterson did not testify in his trial, neither did her husband, but Jackie Peterson acted every bit as disgusting as Cindy Anthony has! The Peterson's also lost a grandchild at the hands of their child.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back