1125 users online (164 members and 961 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    Just saw poster of him on Thai site too! Wondering if maybe he looks a little better than might be assumed. These days it would not be out of place for him to have hair coloured and new teeth might change face for the better..hey he could even go very dark with tan and appear to be of different race.
    I doubt somehow that he lost his taste for Country music.Wonder what his siblings, whoever may still be alive- look like now?
    At the time of the Ridgen film a brother and sister were alive and interviewed for the film. Both claim not to have seen him for years. Ridgen makes much of the fact that a second brother might have made trips to the U.S. the implication is to give Howe money there. It seems that Ridgen used hidden cameras to interview them as well as O.H. please contradict me if I seem wrong about this. I absolutely agree that 1. DMH has far more arrows in his quiver that are being allowed for and 2. yes could have changed his appearance in many directions. There was a mysterious post on another site that said "he is probably a millionaire" not impossible that it was a hint.

I have trouble understanding the evidence of the witness that appears in the Ridgen film who saw Sharin in the park. Yes he seems earnest . He sees her and Howe across the park standing a bit too far apart that part sounds good, plausible. The Globe says quoting the witness he then walked by them looking at them more closely- but on Ridgen Sharin and Howe went right toward and by the witness and up the street HOWEVER what is slightly hidden by his placement in the film that he lived just two doors away from Howe. He claims to have noticed that Howe smoked with his left hand I am skeptical. But it fits the portrait of Burns/Howe. Why didn't he report Howe going to the house two doors down with Sharin till days later?

No matter how hard I try I can still not align the photo of Howe that was on the bus shelters, the photo Dotr linked to, and the Toronto Sun Composite that they are of the same person.

A couple of facts I eeked out by freezing the frames on the documents that are briefly shown in the film is that both Howe's parents were immigrants mother from Austria maiden name Lewsien if I read it right and the father from Britain.

Not yet watched, may be repost, quality good.
    Last edited by KateB; 05-28-2015 at 06:32 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

The world was deprived of a beloved, lovely and talented human being - this is the impression that I have from watching this doc.
    Actually, this "armchair sleuth" is shaking a bit
    with repulsion? at the sight and sound of some of the latter persons interviewed.
    Not sure if my amateur observations are appropriate, but ......
    who in the world could actually smile (on camera or not) when asked questions concerning a cold-hearted sicko f. member, or former drinking buddy (baddie)?
    Who could affect casualness, big door smiles- but with hand firmly on frame, seated with clasping hands behind head and 'trying to think" when the last time you saw killer , uh 60's.
    As for the talking head bob and smile,@ 24.52 and reality/truth dodge, eye blink@ 25.01 ..

imo, ramblings.

More imo's..
    Concerning the dollar found in S's pocket.
    No way did that clever girl go off with some man for money,I think he put it in her pocket as an insult "to injury"(as in tipping a stripper), or to make it look like that was her motivation for going with him ,(or whatever ruse he used)- insisted she take it. ..or perversely, as a cultural ritual of placing money with deceased, or as "new-born good luck" money put in bassinet.OR.. Howe was forced in early life to perform a deed for a dollar and was re enacting that memory.
    Wondering if Howe happened to see, or hear of S's cameo in doc. about freezing techniques and approached her with inside knowledge about procedure or as someone who worked on the doc?

More imo's..
    Concerning the dollar found in S's pocket.
    No way did that clever girl go off with some man for money,I think he put it in her pocket as an insult "to injury"(as in tipping a stripper), or to make it look like that was her motivation for going with him ,(or whatever ruse he used)- insisted she take it. ..or perversely, as a cultural ritual of placing money with deceased, or as "new-born good luck" money put in bassinet.OR.. Howe was forced in early life to perform a deed for a dollar and was re enacting that memory.
    Wondering if Howe happened to see, or hear of S's cameo in doc. about freezing techniques and approached her with inside knowledge about procedure or as someone who worked on the doc?
    "The world was deprived of a beloved, lovely and talented human being - this is the impression that I have from watching this doc".

Absolutely the truth they did do a lovely job of putting focus on Sharin in that film. And superb observations and conjectures in both posts Dotr- it would be great to get renewed activity on this important thread.

One more tidbit from the Globe: the two officers who found Sharin were actually admonished by superiors for going in Howe's room without a warrant. That might explain something that always puzzled me the fact that OH's remarked on not seeing his housemate for 8 days and in the account of the officers that leads immediately to Howe's room and the discover - yet the date of discovery is given as 9 days and LK says 10 on the film. I doubt that would screw up the case though a drug case probably but a murdered child I seriously doubt it.

Also there is a Globe story about the time and place where one of the officers who found Sharin tragically committed suicide and it took away from my mind the possibility they were murdered - it was a very public time and place.

Quote Originally Posted by palisadesk View Post
    If there's a reasonable resemblance, you should pass this info on to the authorities. I saw a link for "tips" on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp) Cold Case website -- let me look it up and post it here. It would be very easy for them to determine if this individual is *not* Dennis Howe -- if he was verifiably elsewhere in the years Howe was incarcerated, that does it. Also, Howe's fingerprints are on file and that would be easy to confirm or disconfirm.

While there's good reason to think Howe went to Montana originally, and that he may have stayed there while his brother was alive, now that that connection is gone he could be anywhere in the U.S. Over time, killers who aren't caught become less cautious. He could easily have reverted to using his real given name, figuring no one would be looking for him down there, and a shaved head would remove the hairstyle/hair color clues. Chain smoking is harder to change. I've never tried it but I have heard fake ID is reasonably easy to get.

Let me look up that tip line link.

OK, here it is:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/coldcase/case...ar-keenan.html

There's a "Submit a tip" link at the top. It probably goes first to someone at the CBC. I have found them to be very professional and courteous. You can summarize your info and let them know how to contact you (by email or phone) if needed. While it may be a dead end, it may not be. Don't forget that many of the successful resolutions on AMW and "Unsolved Mysteries" came through people just like you, people who thought, "I'm probably wrong, but..." and contacted authorities.
    Not sure if this is helpful or not, but from this link where H's handwriting is shown, he does not seem to dot his i's and the c's have unusual curl at top, also noticed his sept. 26th birthday is forthcoming- maybe he will head out for some drinking and country music.

Hey dotr ... thanks for the link to this thread. Hadn't heard of the case in years, so will hang out and try to refresh my memory on these old and new details. Actually I know a guy who looks like him, but isn't any 5'10 (maybe 5'7 max, and heavyset .. mind you, i'm really bad on height/weight). Has a CIL wife and a young adult daughter, purports to be a preacher (the devil's horn stories, etc). They supposedly lived in Tennessee, then Surrey and Hope, BC, then Camano Island, WA. Last I heard they were in Dawson Creek BC, but i've seen info that says they were in Lower Mainland BC when they were supposed to be in Dawson.

Wife came to me for help one time and told me that everything he says is BS (about being preacher, etc). I let her talk but didn't ask questions ... next i heard she was back with him. I shoulda run her through the wringer, huh?

Daughter (approx. 22 y.o. now) once told me "we move around a lot because of my dad's work".

I just can't put the height to him, but ya never know. I'll see if i can dig up anything new on the dude.

Quote Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
    Hey dotr ... thanks for the link to this thread. Hadn't heard of the case in years, so will hang out and try to refresh my memory on these old and new details. Actually I know a guy who looks like him, but isn't any 5'10 (maybe 5'7 max, and heavyset .. mind you, i'm really bad on height/weight). Has a CIL wife and a young adult daughter, purports to be a preacher (the devil's horn stories, etc). They supposedly lived in Tennessee, then Surrey and Hope, BC, then Camano Island, WA. Last I heard they were in Dawson Creek BC, but i've seen info that says they were in Lower Mainland BC when they were supposed to be in Dawson.

Wife came to me for help one time and told me that everything he says is BS (about being preacher, etc). I let her talk but didn't ask questions ... next i heard she was back with him. I shoulda run her through the wringer, huh?

Daughter (approx. 22 y.o. now) once told me "we move around a lot because of my dad's work".

I just can't put the height to him, but ya never know. I'll see if i can dig up anything new on the dude.
    Nice to have you here SillyBilly!! This case seemed to be on the backburner when WSer Richard posted a link about H, as a possible contender in the Sharron Prior case Sharron Prior Murdered/1975 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    and well, the wheels started turning, with possible connections to lots of cases.
    As for height, think I have seen him also listed at 5 9'' and of course age can make one appear to, (or actually) shrink.
    Last edited by KateB; 05-28-2015 at 06:32 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wanted-rec...u/howe-eng.htm
    •White male
    •Date of birth: 1940-09-26
    •Height: 5'10" (175 cm)
    •Weight: 170 lbs (75 kg)
    •Hair : Brown
    •Eyes: Brown
    • Identifying Marks:
    - scar under left side of chin
    - short crooked fingers
    - weathered complexion
    - small gap between front teeth
    - hairy chest and arms, square shoulders, left handed
    - known to wear a moustache, walks quickly and smokes heavily
    •Aliases:
    - Michael Burns
    - Wayne King
    - Ralph Ferguson
    - Jim Meyers

CONSIDERED VIOLENT AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. TAKE NO ACTION TO APPREHEND THIS PERSON YOURSELF

Little tidbit..(but interesting one imo)
    https://sites.google.com/site/chilre...ingstar-keenan

" ...In 1997 a bag containing women's clothing was found in the attic of Howe's former boarding house, but that proved useless,..."

Unusual site, Idaho man talks of encounters with H.???
    http://vanrijngo.bravejournal.com/entry/27379

Unusual site, Idaho man talks of encounters with H.???
    http://vanrijngo.bravejournal.com/entry/27379
    Yes that guy is a bit all over the place but then again his suspicions are not impossible. Tommy Ross is certainly the kind of simple name he liked to adopt so that fits though it is hardly proof. I do not know if it is here or in another blog that he mentions a RUMOUR that the police threw Howe out of a plane personally I seriously doubt that but there are similar rumours around and Lynda Keenan refers to one RUMOUR in the very opening scene of the CBC film when she talks about the bounty hunters killing him and she quite rightly I think dismisses it.

The Crawley mentioned took over the case after the fact in Toronto and supposedly became obsessed with it, carrying materials on it around in a briefcase even after retirement from police. He died last year I believe when his horse kicked in him in a stall it made the papers and the Sharin case was mentioned.

I notice many people connected with that case seem ravaged by it.

This guy of course see conspiracy when they police don't check the stuff he left and just because AMW took the case down from their website he is implying that it is over and done with because they know Howe is dead.

But as you note with your links he is still wanted I believe very wanted for a long time he was the most wanted man in Canada on the RCMP site.

Late 90s there was a false alarm they though they knew where he was buried up north but it was a false alarm.

Speaking of sightings of Howe: I met at the Sticky Wicket a pub in the Toronto Annex (near where Howe lived) in February 1983 someone who I thought for a dogs age had to be Howe. Sharin's body had just been discovered. Spitting image of the composite but that wasn't released yet but I stopped in my tracks when I saw the composite in the Sun a while later. Yes I reported this same day I had some handwriting of his an address and I remember the police were very interested in that later I realized because they had a sample of Howe's writing from the Spadina near Cecil shop where he had written down colours like "gypsy jade" "malted milk" "oriental rose" "whipped cream".

Of course according to police Howe had already left Toronto. The guy said many strange not to say psychotic (literally) things and knew a lot about the case that to my knowledge was not divulged in media till later for example the guy told me "they called her Sharin because they wanted her to be shared" that just sounded crazy to me but then I found out that that was actually the case of course not in the way Howe took it. Among the numerous disturbing crazy things this guy said to me was that I should come up to a cabin he had up north "I took a girl up there one and she liked it so much she never came back". he said with the craziest laugh I have ever heard.

He was the strangest person I had ever met up to that time and I still have never met anyone stranger.

He spoke of a man upstairs and downstairs one (I guess the good guy in the story) just wanted to have sex with the girl but they guy on the other floor wanted to kill her. If you see the film you would see why this would resonate. He said insulting things about the family.

I thought I saw the guy I spoke to in Hamilton in 2007 repeatedly at a Tim Hortons by the YMCA once by a school in Westdale (I told the police at Yonge and Eglinton in Toronto) and once unnervingly behind my house in a park. So Dotr your comments about Hamilton are right on possibly as somewhere to keep an eye out but if alive he could be out of the country too who knows.

The guy I spoke to said he "had to get out of the country" I believe that is not impossible - and not just the US.

So we have three possible Howe sightings recently mentioned on this site right now possibly all of them wrong - but who knows.

He said some other things that are interesting a few I will check out a few others are of interest but they insult they family so I won't post. Strangely, they fit with some other things that came up on Facebook when Sharin had a page there though so who knows.

Little tidbit..(but interesting one imo)
    https://sites.google.com/site/chilre...ingstar-keenan

" ...In 1997 a bag containing women's clothing was found in the attic of Howe's former boarding house, but that proved useless,..."
    And useless of course just means they couldn't link it not that it isn't linked.

The "rumours" about H being dead due to murder or illness, would imo be something that he, or one of his cohorts fabricated. Slippery eel.
    Last edited by dotr; 09-21-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Cool coincidence, new long article today!
    http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crim...is-melvyn-howe

"On Tuesday, Sept. 26, the most wanted man in Canadian history, Dennis Melvyn Howe — if he’s still alive — will turn 72.

The little girl he is accused of murdering, Sharin’ Morningstar Keenan, will never be more than 9. She would have turned 39 this past July 3.

The Grade 4 pupil at Jesse Ketchum Public School was last seen alive playing in Jean Sibelius Park on Sunday, Jan. 23, 1983 at about 3 or 3:30 p.m. after having spent the day with her mother.

She was told to be home by 4. She was wearing a watch.

Nine days later, on Feb. 1, her body was found stuffed in the refrigerator of a nearby rooming house rented by Howe at 482 Brunswick Ave. in Toronto. The family lived several blocks away at 493 Dupont St.

Retired homicide detective Wayne Oldham, in a secret he kept until 2010, revealed that a dollar bill was found in the girl’s clothing, leading to speculation that the convicted felon from Saskatchewan used money to lure her to his rooming house
    "

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast