1128 users online (231 members and 897 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NV - Native Family Attacked by Skinheads

Johnny and Lisa Bonta, a Native family from the Reno Sparks Indian Colony, became the latest victims of a hate crime on May 24 when they were attacked at a gas station along I-80 in Fernley, Nevada, a border town between the Fallon and Pyramid Lake Indian reservations.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwor...-by-skinheads/

When Lyon County Sheriff’s officers arrived, they took statements and began filling out police reports with Cassell and his friends, but they did not take statements from any of the victims. When Lisa asked why they were not being questioned for a statement, no one responded. “They ignored us,” she said, before she suffered a seizure and required medical attention.

Johnny Bonta, bleeding and barely standing after being hit in the knees with a bat, was arrested on the scene and taken to jail. He said he was not allowed medical treatment for six days while he was in the county jail, all the while uncertain about what charges had been filed against him.

Everything about this is just sick. From the attack to the way that law enforcement covered it up and intimidated the victims. This doesn't seem to be an isolated incident either. From what it says in the article this is a regular occurrence and law enforcement in the area ignores it. I already emailed the Governor of Nevada about it and let him know how I feel.
    http://nv.gov/govforms.aspx?ekfrm=4294969014 I suggest more people do the same.

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    That's horrible!
    Inhumane!
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Real quick I was checking out where Fernley was. They have a FB page which states they had a multi-cultural festival on June 17th. Aztec dancers, Taj dancers and irish dancers. Of course that doesn't mean a thing, but ironic.

Have to do more checking around and I'll e-mail the Governor as well.

https://www.facebook.com/FernleyNeva...Nevada?sk=wall

Just brilliant. Even Cassell's mother Dee was in on it. Chucklheads yapping on FB about their violence.

http://fernleynews.ning.com/profiles...ada-hate-crime

Sorry for the double post, but this was bothering me. I looked this Jacob Cassell up.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Jaco...00001841470674

If this kid is a "Neo-Nazi" or even a skinhead well I look like Meghan Fox and sing like Ella Fitzgerald.

I feel so sorry for those victims!!! I hope they get the justice they deserve! That whole skin headed family need to be dragged out,hung in public and made an example out of.

Filly--We have not heard you sing. All kidding aside, I'm literally sick after reading this story. The time our family was just threatened in a racially ugly way was at a small town gas station. Scared the pea-turkey out of me. God bless that poor man for being hit by a bat and don't get me started on the seizure. Anyone prone to seizures can have one when extremely stressed. I hope to high heaven she didn't fall flat to the concrete.

The FB page is creepy. First off, Cassell would make me cross the street. And how come he has his arm around a man of color? Is it a sick joke? What sign is he throwing? And the Army...he's a disgrace to our country.

The governor himself needs to ride out there and check out the lay of the land. The Native population are his constituents and have every right to be safe at all times. This is absolutely outrageous. I'm writing too. Inexcusable.

Porkchop helpfully included the link to email Governor Sandoval but here it is again. We need to keep this link up front and center:

http://www.nv.gov/govforms.aspx?ekfrm=4294969014

Please take 2 minutes and demand an inquiry.

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    they're both in the army so maybe the skinhead comment was made b/c of their buzzed haircuts & tattoos

kinda ironic that they were labelled as something if they're not

I still think it's a hate crime though ... there is still so much racism against natives here (in Canada) & apparently in the U.S. too & the FB comments are pretty damning

the cops will probably say they kept the victim in jail b/c he was disturbing the peace & other such nonsense and pretend they were being kind by not pressing charges

I hope they sue and I hope they win vast amounts of money

& I hope the world stops treating Native Indians like crap

This pretty much sums it up:

"...[Son-in-law, Shane] Murray said he recognized one of the attackers as Jacob Cassell, a former classmate and son of retired Lyon County Sheriff officer Jim Cassell...."

and

“...Jacob Cassell taunted the family as the sirens approached, telling them, "You hear those cops coming? They’re not going to help you. My daddy is a cop in this town, and nothing is going to happen to me. You f***ing n*****s are going to jail....”

Cassell was right about jail.......

I hope they don't have to hire an attorney. Let's hope the Southern Poverty Law Center is forming a plan right now. Those FB comments will hang them.

FWIW, Fernley is not far from Black Rock City, home of Burning Man. Burners will NOT be happy about this. I just sent an email to several of the organizers as they depend on help from local LE.

I emailed the governor MissIzzy. Is there a prosecutors office we can send one to?

here's what I wrote:

I hope your office will do something about the lack of care & protection the Bonta family received after being attacked by young ****s (who are representing your country in the army). The police there apparently condone hate crimes. I live in Canada so perhaps you won't consider my opinion or you may wonder why I even care. I'm not native Indian and I don't know the victims at all but I want racism in all it's forms everywhere to stop. I also want police forces everywhere to be held accountable for their actions. I'm sure there are many more details that the media didn't publish about this crime and I realize there are many sides to every story but these victims need an advocate and someone to investigate what appears to be rampant racism and police force corruption. Since the criminals bragged about their crime on facebook, I would think the police could lay charges and I would think the prosecutor could pursue the case. Or maybe it's too late for that. All I know is this family needs help and I hope they sue and I hope they win vast amounts of money.

I forgot to include a link to the news story in my email ... hopefully someone else does

Shame shame shame... i hope the public is able to draw much needed attention to this and the LE do something
    My opinion is MINE!

This is horrible, I will be sending out a message to the governor as well.

I am of Native American descent, my grandfather is Cherokee/Chirakawa, my son's father is a direct desendent of Quanah Parker.

Regardless of any history of mine these people need help. Law enforcement needs to be held accountable as well as the little punks that think they are above the law.

The comment from the man whose father is retired sheriff says alot about his upbringing and how his father really feels. He learned it somewhere.
    This is just disgusting, I believe in karma, at some point what comes around goes around....
    Last edited by mysticrose; 06-28-2011 at 11:19 PM.
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    they're both in the army so maybe the skinhead comment was made b/c of their buzzed haircuts & tattoos

kinda ironic that they were labelled as something if they're not

I still think it's a hate crime though ... there is still so much racism against natives here (in Canada) & apparently in the U.S. too & the FB comments are pretty damning

the cops will probably say they kept the victim in jail b/c he was disturbing the peace & other such nonsense and pretend they were being kind by not pressing charges

I hope they sue and I hope they win vast amounts of money

& I hope the world stops treating Native Indians like crap
    Well I guess Jacob lawyered up because now his FB page is totally private.

It is ironic as it's mentioned here that this guy isn't a skinhead.

He's just a psycho, spoiled, racist with Asian friends if that makes sense.

Bottom line this poor family has been mistreated and the LE will have to pay as well. That had to be terrifying.

Sue for sure, but sadly didn't we already take everything away from our Native American's and spread disease upon them? They deserve way more than they could ever get in a court of law that's for sure. Plus they will never, ever be able to stop at a rest stop without fear again.

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/c..._mauls_family/

Catherine Cortez Masto is the Attorney General of Nevada. Here's the contact page:

http://ag.state.nv.us/about/contact/form.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast