Do you think you can write the closing statement for the defense?

Do you think you can write the closing statement for the defense?

• Yes

Votes: 48 41.4%
  • No

Votes: 68 58.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
We absolutely have alot of talent here in WS land. I would love to hear some examples of closing statements for the defense. Give it a try.

What, are you kidding?

I didn't go to law school. I have no courtroom experience.

Don't underestimate the job these people are doing.

Probably not......creative writing was one of my least favorite classes but I respect the skills of a good fictional writer.

A closing statement that I think would actually help my client, or what I think they'll actually say?

1. She wasn't there.
2. If she was there, she didn't do it.
3. If she did do it, everybody else was doing it anyway and they were all acquitted.
4. Therefore she should be acquitted.

I'm a good writer but I couldn't write a closing statement for the defense except possibly for the charge of 1st degree Murder (and even then it would be hard). Given the evidence, I cannot think of a closing statement for lesser charges. If I wrote their closing statement for the 1st Degree murder charge, it would be VERY brief because I believe the defense has wasted enough time with nonesense details. It would be something along the lines of..."We cast reasonable doubt on the scientific evidence and the honesty of the witnesses. The State did not prove the manner of death so how can you convict her for murder? She may not be your favorite person in the world and her behavior may be highly suspicious, but without a cause of death, you cannot convict her of murder. We just really do not know WHAT happened. " The End.

I pray Jose Baez does not read this and steal my brilliant closing argument.

No problem, Beyond. Here ya go.

JB: "Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury... just a moment... (walks to Defense Table, rummages through papers, yaks at CM for a second, checks Magic I-Phone, ambles back over, rolling eyes toward ceiling.) "Aaaaand....Let me begin this way.... Your Honor, may we approach?"

There ya have it.

No evidence that the duct tape was over Caylee's mouth & nose. No evidence of chloroform purchase/manufacture/use on Caylee. Dr. Grief says even innocent grieving mommies party and engage in "magical thinking" about magical nannies taking child to magical places.

Therefore no evidence of murder, just of death, and of Casey not wanting others to know of the death. Not wanting others to know might be just to continue her own denial, or to spare others the pain (as you can see, her family was caused great pain by learning of Caylee's death). Death does not equal murder. Lying does not equal murder. Even covering up a death does not equal murder. Something terrible happened and Casey will have to live with that for the rest of her life. But she did not kill her baby.

Disclaimer: I think she killed Caylee. On purpose. This is just more free advice for the defense so that any conviction is not overturned for ineffective assistance of counsel.

No evidence that the duct tape was over Caylee's mouth & nose. No evidence of chloroform purchase/manufacture/use on Caylee. Dr. Grief says even innocent grieving mommies party and engage in "magical thinking" about magical nannies taking child to magical places.

Therefore no evidence of murder, just of death, and of Casey not wanting others to know of the death. Not wanting others to know might be just to continue her own denial, or to spare others the pain (as you can see, her family was caused great pain by learning of Caylee's death). Death does not equal murder. Lying does not equal murder. Even covering up a death does not equal murder. Something terrible happened and Casey will have to live with that for the rest of her life. But she did not kill her baby.

Disclaimer: I think she killed Caylee. On purpose. This is just more free advice for the defense so that any conviction is not overturned for ineffective assistance of counsel.

BBM:

Sorry, counselor, but unless said Doctor delivers said testimony whilst wearing top hat, tails, and simulateously auditioning for a "A Chorus Line" revival, I am unwilling to accept that as an exculpatory factor.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, we, the attorneys for casey anthony, have completely, without intention, blundered this case. Please do not hold this against our client. There is much room for reasonable doubt here. No one no exactly how the victim died. No one saw the defendant involved with her death. This case is circumstantial at best. Please understand the state has not presented any concrete evidence. Reasonable doubt lives here. Did casey kill her daughter? Did someone else? Did george? Did cindy? Did roy kronk? The fact is...no one knows? There is no concrete evidence to prove any which way. There is as much evidence to indict george or cindy anthony as casey anthony. Ladies and gentlemen, my client is innocent and is at your mercy."

I'll play...

Once upon a time... in a far away, magical-thinking world, lived a lovely maiden by the name of Casey Marie Anthony.

Nope... I can't do it. :floorlaugh:

Good luck Defense! Good Luck! Hope it was nothing like the opening statement.

your honor, ladies and gentlemen of the jury....
we got nothin'

Baez. 'Is KC a murderer?'

Baez shakes Magic 8-Ball, grins at jury. 'Try again later.'

'Judge, we'd like a continuance...'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics