MA - Drowned woman's body in public pool for days

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Until body "became buoyant" and floated to the surface....

Authorities say body found in public pool went undetected for days (CNN)
(CNN) -- Authorities say the body of a woman who died in a Massachusetts public pool went undetected for days as swimmers continued to use the pool before the victim was found floating.

The body of Marie Joseph, 36, was discovered by teenagers Tuesday evening in the Vietnam Veterans Swimming Pool in Fall River, Massachusetts[.]
---
"It is in many respects disturbing and unreal," said Massachusetts Conservation and recreation Commissioner Ed Lambert.
---
(more at link above)

Something to consider the next time that pool water looks a little "cloudy"!

1. Child told employee that she went down the slide then sank

2. Clothes & such found by employees after pool closed

3. Pool section closed by employees due to murky water

4. Local vandals break into pool & discover body

Uhhmm, no Websleauthy types on the Fall River pool staff, eh???

As in many of our threads, sounds like many wrongs here.

Prayers for the families hurt in this event,

Laughing

I saw that article too. Now I am going to have nightmares! :eek:

I rarely relish the fact that I can't swim, or at least can't swim very well, well enough, say,
to take a running dive into the deep end, plunge deep and deeper, and...'ello, what's this??

This is one of those times.

This news is enough to keep me out of pools unless I can see clearly to the bottom of the entire pool.

This news is enough to keep me out of pools unless I can see clearly to the bottom of the entire pool.

That's a good plan whether there's a corpse in the pool or not.

Who swims in a murky pool?!

Official suggests Marie Joseph was dead in Fall River pool for 2 days (Fall River Herald-News)
---
After they splashed into the water, the boy noticed that Joseph hadn’t come back up, [Veronica] Reis said.

“He got up to the water and went to go tell the lifeguard,” said Reis, who talked to the 9-year-old afterward. “The lifeguard said he was going to do a pool check. ... They never did that. They never did anything.”
---
The pool was open on Monday and Tuesday.
---
“The filters were checked and found to be operational,” [Mayor Will] Flanagan said. “The pH level was checked and found to be normal. The only abnormality that was noted was one word, the water was ‘cloudy.’”
---
(lengthy article plus picture at link above)

Picture of Marie Joseph

Mass. pool where woman died had lapsed permit (Daily Oklahoman)

---
Herbert Callwood, Joseph's boyfriend of eight years, said that when his girlfriend didn't return his calls earlier this week, he just thought she felt like being alone.

Callwood, 45, said he heard about Joseph's death on the news.

"It's too much bear. I just want to know what happened," Callwood said. "And why did someone leave her like that?"
(more at link above)

That is really scary. It seems fishy to me. Who leaves the pool without all the people they came with?

I've never seen a pool with water so cloudy that you cannot see the bottom. 12 feet isn't that deep! Imagine those teenagers who broke in finding a dead body! At least they had the guts to call authorities even though they would get in trouble for trespassing.

Lovely lady, ironically taken at a pool.

_53797608_012345023-1.jpg

This poor woman who drowned! It's heartbeaking!

I was at a pool party once, and a the host picked me up and threw me into the pool. (I can't swim!!!). I remember going under the water and thought my heart was going to stop. Luckily, another guest pulled me up above the water.

Could rain have decreased visibility? My grandkids go to a different pool in Northern Mass and they've had a lot of rain since the pool opened for the season.

Could rain have decreased visibility? My grandkids go to a different pool in Northern Mass and they've had a lot of rain since the pool opened for the season.

That sort of imbalance would probably show up in the pH reading. My guess is that the paint on the pool is deteriorating, causing cloudiness.

This truly sounds like something out of a horror movie.

Very unsettling, for all concerned. :eek:

it seems the child she went down the slide behind was one she went to the park with - so he told the lifeguard but he didn't tell the other adults in the group? or did he, and they figured she had already left with other friends ...

there's someone quoted in this article who says there were kids drinking the pool water ... I'm sorry, what?! and that the water was white, and that she thinks she has a lawsuit on her hands ...

how typical of modern society - yes, it's all about how we can profit from a tragedy these days ...

http://www.heraldnews.com/news/x186...as-dead-in-Fall-River-pool-for-2-days?photo=3

Um...yah. I hate public pools - just awful. DH is from the UK where pools are few and far between (at least in the Midlands).

This just gives me nightmares! Poor woman! Just how crowded/cloudy was this pool (ie, see below):

[video=youtube;inA-36YRV0Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inA-36YRV0Y[/video]

Such a fail on all possible levels. It NEVER should have happened and all responsible (are you kidding me??????) for not doing their job should be held accountable. Disturbing beyond words and comprehension. I have such anger knowing that such ignorance and stupidity, for days (!) occured here.

One of the very few times I will ever state, "Family, get a lawyer".

Disgusted... Sweet Mary....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghost246
Back