GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my. This is shocking.

ETA: Apparently the landfill has been secured and is being searched.

This is so sad. It is hard to know what is in the mind of a killer. IF that is her body I pray that her spirit is carried on in all who knew and loved her. Thank you for posting this.

My thoughts and prayers are with her family, her boyfriend, and her friends.

This is turning into what appears to be a very bizarre story. The body found outside the apartment was dismembered.

The reports say Saturday night she emailed a friend to say someone had tried to break into her apartment and she was afraid. Then she disappears without a trace leaving keys/cell phone/everything in her apartment with no signs of forced entry. She most likely let the killer in to her apartment.

Why did she email to say she was afraid and not contact the police? Did she have a stalker or suspect who might have tried to break which is why she was afraid later yet did not get the authorities involved?

Her neighbor (a fellow law student) was arrested on old burglary charges and is being held. The police aren't saying much of anything. There is likely a very bloody crime scene close by (if this is in fact her) so this shouldn't take too long to solve.

http://www.macon.com/2011/06/30/1616531/body-found-mercer-law-giddings.html

The police are probably "holding" him on the burglary and hoping this will stop him from skipping town.

She might have had a "feeling" because of hearing noises, smelling something, or things being moved. I endured a stalker for 9 months. I knew someone was near, I knew someone was watching me but I didn't see them. I found cigarette butts around the outside of my house and I didn't smoke. I don't know if it was just a feeling or what but one night I looked out my front door window straight into his eyes.

This could be what happened with her only she might have opened the door.

If this had been going on for a while she probably wouldn't have called the police because what would she say. I "feel" like I have a stalker, I "feel" like someone is trying to break in? It could have been her "sixth sense" at work as it was with me.

If this had been going on for a while she probably wouldn't have called the police because what would she say. I "feel" like I have a stalker, I "feel" like someone is trying to break in? It could have been her "sixth sense" at work as it was with me.

That makes sense. Plus this woman did a lot of criminal defense work for low lifes (thieves, burglars, etc...) so if weird things started happening she may have had a long list of possible suspects.

It is not looking good for the neighbor, they have called him a person of interest now. If it was the neighbor and she had no clue she might have welcomed him because she was grateful for the company.

Shouldn't take too long to file murder charges IF the neighbor is the culprit and if the dismembered body is hers. There is virtually no way to dismember a body in a bathroom or wherever and get rid of every trace of DNA (well there probably is a way but anyone that was smart enough to do it wouldn't leave the body in the parking lot outside of the victims house!)

(edit apparently sodium hydroxide is pretty good at destroying dna)

I don't understand why people murder someone and dismember the body. What kind of sick person can do that?

I don't understand why people murder someone and dismember the body. What kind of sick person can do that?

Well some folks don't want to but probably have to dismember the body for various reasons (too big to move, disposal in landfill, etc...). In this case it sounds like they did it because they wanted too, she wasn't a big person and they left the remains near her house with no attempt to hide the crime.

They found the body right after she was reported missing so it was probably there since Sunday.

Did the possible break-in happen while she was in the apartment, or while she was outside? I was confused from the article's wording.

Did the possible break-in happen while she was in the apartment, or while she was outside? I was confused from the article's wording.

In the video the neighbor said the email stated she was afraid because someone had tried to break into the apartment 2 days before. I would hope she was not home, surely she would have called the police!

Watch the extended interview with the suspect neighbor where he discusses the contents of the email: http://www.13wmaz.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1034114633001

She said she thought Macon Hoodlums had tried to break in. Boy does the neighbor guy sound sincere, if he is smart enough to lie that well he would be smart enough to hide the body. If he did this he must be crazy/dillusional.

Yall - I am originally from Macon which is how I found out about this yesterday. I have a lot of friends who went to college and law school downtown. It is not a very safe place. If this neighbor (who is a law school student too) did it, he was very convincing in the interview. It's just tragic.
btw - I've been lurking around WB for years - just now logged in for 1st time.

I simply do not understand why no one noticed Lauren missing until Thursday. Especially since she had wrote an email on Saturday stating that she was afraid to be in her apartment.

Her family had not been able to reach her, which with her being in another state going to law school, she quite possibly didn't talk to them that often. But what about her friends, and her boyfriend? It took 5 days to find her? Weird.

Her family had not been able to reach her, which with her being in another state going to law school, she quite possibly didn't talk to them that often. But what about her friends, and her boyfriend? It took 5 days to find her? Weird.

Yeah it is odd. Another thing that is odd is that email. I wonder if she was the one that wrote it. If that was the last known communication how do they know the killer didn't type that up while in her apartment as a red herring?

Seems like if she had a boyfriend and lots of friends at school she would likely have told someone about the break-in attempt the day after it happened, not just mention it in an email to some friend in Atlanta 2 days later.

:seeya: Hi, Sue4141. Welcome to Websleuths!

I just watched the interview with the neighbor for the first time. Without knowing a thing about him, I would've suspected him immediately. His act is a little too sweet and innocent, but the statement about his tiny, little handgun cinched it. He probably had poor Lauren fooled. I picture a scenario where he set her up by staging an attempted break-in at her apartment to frighten her. Then he makes himself available, showing up at her door or hanging around outside, so when she looks around for help she finds the meek, trustworthy little neighbor who wouldn't hurt a fly. There was no sign of forced entry because she let him in herself.

Poor woman. As for no one reporting her missing, it's pretty common for law students to hole themselves up for days at a time to study. Their friends and family become used to not seeing or hearing from them for pretty long stretches. That might explain why no one became alarmed sooner.
Such a shame. My thoughts and prayers to her family.

I'm kind of confused by the two POIs. Do they think both may have done it together, or do they think either might have done it alone?
She [LE spokeswoman] said McDaniel is accused of stealing "personal items" from neighbors' apartments, but would not describe the.
I asked if he was stealing TVs, stereos, jewelry, and she said, no, "We are perplexed because these are not items of big value."
She also would not describe the second person of interest in the case except to say it's "someone who knew the victim."
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/134172/153/Bail-Revoked-for-Missing-Womans-Neighbor

O God Bessie I agree 100%!! while watching it I kept telling myself that I wasn't even sure if this was the neighbor tbat could possibly be involved(as I also heard there were 2 POI's arrested).. But no matter I felt a sick chill from listening to this guy as well as I paused it several times to look at his eyes.. I see a deeply disturbed person who with dark circles and pale skin combined with the words that stumbled from his mouth about allowing Lauren to borrow his small handgun that he made reference to with his hand as a small gun.. It sent a deep chill to the bone.. I believe this beautiful woman who all who know her said the same thing.. She had a huge heart!! That to me most likely means that she was kind even to those who others possibly felt strangely about or got a certain vibe from.. She gave those her friendship as well..

I do not believe she had a clue that this guy was theenemy whom she feared and called "Macon hoodlums" trying to break in.. I think when he knocked on her door Saturday night she hadn't a clue that she was allowing the very person whom she was in fear of that was attempting to break in her home.. It sickens me to the very core..

Given the home was unruffled and fully intact I believe he easily lured her with some sort of lie out of her apt before he overtook her.. From what I can gather there have been 3 apts searched in the complex.. No.2 apt was Lauren's and No. 1 apt being a vacant apt and then lastly the third apt to be searched I assumed most likely was Mcdaniels..

I am having a strong feeling that he used the vacant apt of No. 1 to dismember her body at.. Hoping like hell that would keep him not tied to what happened.. Why go to the sick and very tedious and extremely difficult, time consuming, and exhaustive task of dismemberment(from what I understand from cases here at WS).. Especiay given the fact that he did not even attempt to dispose of the body, but rather just put the dismembered body on the side of the apt complex..

He is sick for certain!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member