Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
    http://www.macon.com/2011/07/07/1623...gs-police.html

Snipped from article in link
    "Mann said her family was familiar with McDaniel, but he didn’t insinuate that family members suspect that McDaniel had anything to do with Giddings’ disappearance or slaying.

The family had seen McDaniel at a graduation party thrown jointly by the Giddings family and another law student’s family at the Fish N’ Pig restaurant in May.

McDaniel attended the party. Although both students’ family members and friends were at the party, it seemed to family members that McDaniel was there uninvited, Mann said."

Thought this was an interesting tidbit. It seems clear to me that McD is socially awkward and a bit of an outcast. Sort of weird that he would show up at the celebration un-invited...but I know a lot of weird people that would do that and are not murderers. What do you all make of this? Irrelevant?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SaMy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SaMy View Post
    From the same article:
    McDaniel is accused of entering two Barristers Hall apartments through unlocked doors between Christmas 2008 and January 2009 and taking items, according to arrest warrants. Giddings didn’t live in either one of those apartments.
    Seems these folks were very casual about security, leaving the doors unlocked while out, leaving keys in a vase next to the front door. I wonder if he stopped by a friends apartment and went in, then borrowed a dvd or ate some cookies and that constituted "burglarly" according to police. These people seem very casual and I could certainly see students partying together, borrowing stuff from each other, etc...

Did the burglarly "victims" press charges? Apparently they are looking for former resident students to ask about "other burglaries" and of course we know it could take weeks to find and ask each one. Anyone remember the movie about the trial at a military school? They convict some kid of "stealing gas" from his friends gas tank even though the "victim" friend said they did that all the time when one ran out of gas? Reminds me a bit of that.

From the Macon PD website:
    According to the a statement given to MPD detectives, McDaniel entered the residence of a fellow resident of 1058 Georgia Avenue, but not the residence of the missing woman. The accused removed property without the resident’s knowledge.
    http://maconpolice.us/?p=907
    Last edited by Sonya610; 07-07-2011 at 11:50 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonya610 For This Useful Post:

"Seems these folks were very casual about security, leaving the doors unlocked while out, leaving keys in a vase next to the front door. I wonder if he stopped by a friends apartment and went in, then borrowed a dvd or ate some cookies and that constituted "burglarly" according to police. These people seem very casual and I could certainly see students partying together, borrowing stuff from each other, etc..."

I went to Mercer for my undergrad and graduate degree... for more than four years I lived in a house that was subdivided into apartments. NOT ONCE in all that time did I ever walk into one of my close neighbor's apartments nor would I have felt good about walking in on them in mine or finding out later that they just came in. This isn't Seinfeld and he isn't Kramer. He has been portrayed as somewhat of a loner which leads me to believe even further that "casual borrowing" wouldn't have been a part of their lifestyle. It's an apartment complex, not a commune.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RSW For This Useful Post:

Bessie LE mentions they "looked" at plumbing in both Lauren and McDaniel's apartment. I don't think it is a stretch to assume the plumbing was removed and is at the FBI lab for analyses. It's at 8:35 in the video link below- http://www.13wmaz.com/video/10409491...-Investigation

This video of the friend that Sonya610 linked up stream ... He met Lauren through a "running club" which we now know is Hashers. Not of any major importance to me at this point, just another thing to tuck away and perhaps look at in the future.
    http://www.13wmaz.com/video/10345336...auren-Giddings
    http://www.13wmaz.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=134319
    You are the anchor to my soul, you won't let go ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

Apologies if this is answered/covered elsewhere in the thread...do we know when the FBI will be done analyzing the evidence? Or are they not telling the public?

No Bond Hearing Yet for Stephen McDaniel, Lauren Giddings' Neighbor

Burglary suspect Stephen McDaniel, the neighbor of homicide victim Lauren Giddings, will remain in jail for at least another week.

Bibb County District Attorney Greg Winters says he expects a bond hearing for McDaniel on those two burglary charges will be held next Thursday, July 14. He expects that hearing will be set by a Superior Court judge Friday.
    http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/1...dings-Neighbor

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

Clean up edit
    Last edited by SiberianSleuth; 07-07-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    Instant Karma's gonna get you
    Gonna knock you right on the head
    You better get yourself together
    Pretty soon you're gonna be dead
    What in the world you thinking of
    Laughing in the face of love
    What on earth you tryin' to do
    It's up to you, yeah you
    (John Lennon)

http://www.macon.com/2011/07/07/1623...gs-police.html

"Mann said her family was familiar with McDaniel, but he didnít insinuate that family members suspect that McDaniel had anything to do with Giddingsí disappearance or slaying.

The family had seen McDaniel at a graduation party thrown jointly by the Giddings family and another law studentís family at the Fish Ní Pig restaurant in May.

McDaniel attended the party. Although both studentsí family members and friends were at the party, it seemed to family members that McDaniel was there uninvited, Mann said."

Thought this was an interesting tidbit. It seems clear to me that McD is socially awkward and a bit of an outcast. Sort of weird that he would show up at the celebration un-invited...but I know a lot of weird people that would do that and are not murderers. What do you all make of this? Irrelevant?
    More from that same link SaMY ...
    He said Giddings was always kind to McDaniel.

ďThatís the way she was,Ē he said.
    I agree with you, it does not make him a murderer, but I do consider it relevant. Especially, if he was not specifically invited to the gathering. Goes to state of mind and what he may have considered his relationship with Lauren to be, MOO.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

Apologies if this is answered/covered elsewhere in the thread...do we know when the FBI will be done analyzing the evidence? Or are they not telling the public?
    Additional tests are being conducted now. Itís unclear exactly when results will be available, Winters said.

No initial concerns from non-communication

Keith said he had sent a text message to Giddings about 6:30 a.m. the day she was reported missing to see if she would be joining him and some other friends to go camping that weekend.

“It was before I knew” what had happened, he said. “Then I checked Facebook and saw she was missing. My first thought was that she was just out of touch, at some place studying for the bar exam. But I got more worried because she didn’t call back, and that wasn’t like her.”

<snip>

Neither Keith nor Young said they had heard Giddings talk about being scared recently.

“She didn’t live in a bubble,” Young said. “She wouldn’t keep quiet about something like that. If she felt scared, she would have told us for sure.”

This is what makes me doubt that Lauren sent that email. I hope it's in the hands of a FBI linguistic expert as we speak.
    Last edited by bessie; 07-10-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: snipped per 10% rule

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

Latest word I've gotten is that McDaniel is in the psychiatric ward of the jail. The source, a Mercer Law graduate and friend, said he is mostly just staring at the wall. Again, not confirmed, and could be taken a couple different ways.

I also wanted to add that the restaurant where the celebration took place is quite a ways from their apartments, a long way to travel to a party you weren't invited to (at least in my opinion).

McD is a real mystery. And if he was into role-playing and/or video games then there is a community of people who have interacted with him quite a bit. Even if it was fantasy based. He should have some kind of gamer profile or something, not that it would necessarily yield anything significant... but I thought I'd mention it.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lomaker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    More from that same link SaMY ...

I agree with you, it does not make him a murderer, but I do consider it relevant. Especially, if he was not specifically invited to the gathering. Goes to state of mind and what he may have considered his relationship with Lauren to be, MOO.

That's what left me with a weird sort of feeling. What did he interpret their relationship to be? It wouldn't be the first time a woman's politeness and friendliness was confused with something of a more romantic nature by an unstable individual.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SaMy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post

Two things, first of all did you read all the threads posted last night? The body was in bad shape when they found it, they found it based on the strong odor. The theory that the killer was holding on to it and then HAD TO dump it last minute when the police arrived doesn't quite add up. If the killer were keeping this body close by in an enclosed space the smell would be horrendous and someone would quickly notice when they went sniffing around the apartments knocking on doors later that morning.
    Refer to Jeffrey Dahmer. He had dismembered bodies stored in his apartment, LOTS OF THEM, and cops didn't even initially realize it. Neighbors did notice a smell, but in Jeff's case he had such a stockpile for so long that you can't even compare it to just one body. It is quite possible, given the lack of info, that the police didn't end up checking the unsub's residence--he may just have freaked out thinking they might.
    I'm not saying all the dots add up, because I don't have complete information. However, clarify for me whether or not you think the body was placed there Thursday during the search? Because if so, then regardless of why it was placed there, it's still likely that the killer was staying close to the scene with that rotting body either way, so either way there was a smell. It's hard to believe someone could arrive in a car with cops around and go unnoticed, so I'm still thinking this was done on foot. I'd like to see a map/photos of whatever properties adjoined the complex to see if a wooded corridor existed, enabling someone to walk through that area rather than the parking lot/entrance.
    I'm certainly not arrogant enough to think what I can make a 100% sure conclusion based on information that has been absolutely scant, but just based on the nature of the crimes I've been required to get to know intimately this just doesn't feel like a killer who is in control--many times during the initial phase of investigation it appears a suspect must be a mastermind due to the trouble cops have turning up evidence but then once they catch their man, it turns out he just got lucky.
    Also, while I think cannibalism may be at play here, that's more of a question than a conclusion for me. I can't think of a single parallel to this crime, the details we know if it, where someone kept a dismembered body for so long without having the urge to either engage in cannibalism or necrophilia.

Regarding a hateful message, don't misunderstand I am not talking about some weird hollywood film type message that likely would only be known to a very few. I mean the torso being found makes sure everyone knows this was murder, not a missing person. The missing body parts and search through the trash is quite humiliating for the victim and ensures the public will become aware of the situation and have a very unsettlilng ugly mental image of the victim. I think that "message" was intentional, without the torso being found this would still be a backpage missing persons story which is exactly what someone afraid of capture would want.
    I don't mean a Hollywood message either, nothing super crafty. I'm thinking of real world examples like the Hillside Stranglers, splaying their victims on hillsides for all to see, or even the Black Dahlia murder...if the limbs aren't found soon, they will be so decayed or lost that it won't have been much of a game at all. No shock value for the public if no limbs are found. If the limbs were meant to be found, I feel like they'd have been recovered already. If you dump a body with no limbs, you logically know that there will be a search for those limbs/the head and that garbage and wooded areas will be the first place anyone looks. The fact that they are checking landfills is an example of standard procedure more than anything else. Same with the plumbing, although that is a bit more clever.

If you wanted it to be known that Lauren is dead so badly that you'd dump the body in the midst of a search, you'd probably have left the body somewhere obvious from the start and left her in a state where she could be easily identified while still desecrated. The question remains, why hold onto the body all that time?

Gah, it'd be so much easier to make sense of this if I could go to the crime scene and see the layout.
    "Deep in each man is the knowledge that something knows of his existence. Something knows, and cannot be fled or hid from." - Cormac McCarthy

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angelanalyzes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lomaker View Post
    Latest word I've gotten is that McDaniel is in the psychiatric ward of the jail. The source, a Mercer Law graduate and friend, said he is mostly just staring at the wall. Again, not confirmed, and could be taken a couple different ways.
    There are two videos of him in court and in both he looks completely out of it, staring off blankly like he has been heavily drugged or just totally shut down. One video here...

http://www.13wmaz.com/video/10342370...pears-in-Court

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonya610 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    There are two videos of him in court and in both he looks completely out of it, staring off blankly like he has been heavily drugged or just totally shut down. One video here...

http://www.13wmaz.com/video/10342370...pears-in-Court
    He really did have a bizarre affect, both before arrest and in the court appearance. If he did it I feel like even if he were to be indicted he'd easily plead insanity and rightfully so.
    "Deep in each man is the knowledge that something knows of his existence. Something knows, and cannot be fled or hid from." - Cormac McCarthy

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angelanalyzes For This Useful Post:

Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast