Casey = Mitigating and Aggravating Circumstances

Mohabi

Confuto pridem
Reaction score
I did search for other threads on this joint subject but was not able to find one that lists our thoughts on all mitigating and aggravating circumstances in this case. Should ICA be found guilty and the trial move into the penalty phase, what are your thoughts on the mitigating and aggravating circumstances that could influence the jury's decision on the penalty they will impose on ICA?

Mitigating:

Aggravating:

?

P.S. Mods, if you find that this thread should be joined with another one, please proceed. If you find it should be deleted, I won't be hurt :)

I did search for other threads on this joint subject but was not able to find one that lists our thoughts on all mitigating and aggravating circumstances in this case. Should ICA be found guilty and the trial move into the penalty phase, what are your thoughts on the mitigating and aggravating circumstances that could influence the jury's decision on the penalty they will impose on ICA?

Mitigating:

Aggravating:

?

P.S. Mods, if you find that this thread should be joined with another one, please proceed. If you find it should be deleted, I won't be hurt :)

There are NO acceptable mitigating factors for the murder of a two year old child.

Mitigating Factors are any evidence presented regarding the defendant's character or the circumstances of the crime, which would cause a juror to vote for a lesser sentence.

http://crime.about.com/od/death/a/mitigating.htm

Only aggravating factors demand inclusion.

Aggravating Factors are any relevant circumstances, supported by the evidence presented during the trial, that makes the harshest penalty appropriate, in the judgment of the jurors.

http://crime.about.com/od/death/a/mitigating.htm

There are NO acceptable mitigating factors for the murder of a two year old child.

Only aggravating factors demand inclusion.

I'm afraid they'll use ICA's age and her "early home experiences - i.e. dysfunctional family " as a mitigating circumstance.

Do you know if the defense and prosecution teams get a chance to "present" their mitigating/aggravating opinions prior to the jury's deliberation about punishment?

Mitigating:

hopefully this goes to penalty phase after she is convicted of first degree murder. one thing i really believe mitigates against the dp is that there was virtually no evidence uncovered that kc ever abused her child (prior to killing her that is). witness after witness after witness - for the prosecution - testified that mother and child appeared to have a close and loving relationship. i think this throws intent into doubt. i personally am convinced that i will never know whether kc intended to kill Caylee.

disclaimers: i am opposed to the death penalty, and i have not watched the entire trial. YET. i am so happy that court is in recess today because i should be all caught up by tomorrow. it's june 23 at my house today.

i'll leave the aggravating circumstances to others. i don't know if the 31 days of "belle vita" or the little girl's body rotting in the car then dumped in the woods count in a legal sense. they certainly aggravate the hell out of me.

Judge Perry said during jury selection that a mitigating factor could be the age of the defendant at the time of the crime. He may or may not allow that during the penalty phase, but he did say it.
Another mitigating factor could be that everyone in her family and her friends testified that she was a good mother, that Caylee loved her and no one ever saw her abuse Caylee in any way.
I think we can all figure out the aggravating factors, it's a long list.

Judge Perry said during jury selection that a mitigating factor could be the age of the defendant at the time of the crime. He may or may not allow that during the penalty phase, but he did say it.
Another mitigating factor could be that everyone in her family and her friends testified that she was a good mother, that Caylee loved her and no one ever saw her abuse Caylee in any way.
I think we can all figure out the aggravating factors, it's a long list.

You may be right of course, but if she is convicted of killing (murder/manslaughter) it will be a stretch to argue that she was a good & loving mother.

I think her age will be a mitigating factor as well as the devastating effect a severe sentence would have on her already grieving & traumatized family.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back