Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AZ - Mary Ann Holmes, 29 - A small town murder in Thatcher, 9 July 1995

Are they sure she said 'lion man' and not 'lying man'? Just a thought that if it is not a stranger, it is someone her mother didn't trust (but didn't realize was a murderer).

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to December For This Useful Post:

Mary Ann's case is on Cold Justice right now.

I'd say Lion Man means a long mane of hair like a lion - reddish or brown & a beard.

The show isn't over yet but it doesn't look like they're making any headway. I've only seen 3 episodes and no one has been caught yet. At least they gave it a try.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paulette For This Useful Post:

LR1

I was 9 years old when this happened and I remember being so traumatized by this because it happened just down the street from where I lived with my mom who like Mary Anne was single with kids. I remember being so scared that he would come after us too. To this day, that evil act still gets to me. I heard a rumor that the college was doing a play with a lion costume in it and that maybe the costume was stolen. I hope they catch this evil evil person and give him what he deserves!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lyric0109 For This Useful Post:

Wow ! I hope they solve this awful

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rosario For This Useful Post:

LR1

Saw COld Justice

Hi all, newbie here but had to get this off my chest. Something has been bugging me about this show. Does the DNA rule out a woman? That woman Danae could be guilty, or at least in my opinion. She could have been jealous and they did say some "object" was used on Mary Ann to anally raped her. That big, Ashley may have thought it was a man. Am I making sense or way off base?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R@bbit For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by R@bbit View Post
    Hi all, newbie here but had to get this off my chest. Something has been bugging me about this show. Does the DNA rule out a woman? That woman Danae could be guilty, or at least in my opinion. She could have been jealous and they did say some "object" was used on Mary Ann to anally raped her. That big, Ashley may have thought it was a man. Am I making sense or way off base?
    I don't think the DNA itself would necessarily rule out a woman because it might not have anything to do with the crime. The characteristics of this murder however points very strongly to it being a male. The nature of this act Is what the experts would classify as Anger-Excitation and its the worst of the worst so to speak.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LR1 For This Useful Post:

I have heard that Phillip Turley, the suspect in the case that could not be excluded by the DNA in "Cold Justice", took off for Mexico shortly before the show was to air. Not a good move for an innocent person. Also, I stopped and talked to David Black this afternoon and told him I was happy for him being excluded by DNA evidence. I think his life has been pretty well screwed up from being a suspect all these years. Had a good conversation with him. Not near as strange as I first thought. He has some good theories on the case. Just to let you know, there is a lot more evidence pointing to Phil Turley than was presented in the show. In talking to a local retired police investigator, he said he had never seen as much circumstantial evidence on anyone without having charges filed. They need to find Turley and charge him.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klech For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lyric0109 View Post
    I was 9 years old when this happened and I remember being so traumatized by this because it happened just down the street from where I lived with my mom who like Mary Anne was single with kids. I remember being so scared that he would come after us too. To this day, that evil act still gets to me. I heard a rumor that the college was doing a play with a lion costume in it and that maybe the costume was stolen. I hope they catch this evil evil person and give him what he deserves!
    Hi! I see it's your first post!

If no one else has told you welcome, then WELCOME!

I am so sorry to hear about how awful it was being afraid as a child. This crime is terrible.

Wow. That is crazy about the lion costume.. it would explain a lot. IDK why a murderer would do such a thing, but murderers do plenty of weird stufff.

Quote Originally Posted by R@bbit View Post

Hi, welcome!

IDK ...

A knife being used that way honestly makes me think of someone who has been in prison.. but I'm just taking a guess...

Quote Originally Posted by klech View Post
    I have heard that Phillip Turley, the suspect in the case that could not be excluded by the DNA in "Cold Justice", took off for Mexico shortly before the show was to air. Not a good move for an innocent person. Also, I stopped and talked to David Black this afternoon and told him I was happy for him being excluded by DNA evidence. I think his life has been pretty well screwed up from being a suspect all these years. Had a good conversation with him. Not near as strange as I first thought. He has some good theories on the case. Just to let you know, there is a lot more evidence pointing to Phil Turley than was presented in the show. In talking to a local retired police investigator, he said he had never seen as much circumstantial evidence on anyone without having charges filed. They need to find Turley and charge him.

hi! hi! welcome!

Interesting that you talked to David Black... if he talked about the case without a lot of blaming the victim, then that is another sign in his favor. Murderers will always be quick to tell you how it is the victim's fault. They will say they are being unjustly accused as well, but they still manage to blame the victim.

If this Turley fellow took off to Mexico right after DNA testing.. yeah, that is not good. However, I don't know what is keeping prosecutors from having him arrested in Mexico and dragged back to the U.S in chains (when they have the case ready to go if he turns out to be looking as guilty as it sounds like he looks). (speculation, moo, etc.)

If there is a ton of evidence, then they are looking for one particular piece to the puzzle. With the case having gotten shown to the public again, someone may be able to provide them with that piece they need.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to December For This Useful Post:

Just watched the Cold Justice episode on this crime -- first, I have to say WOW, these people are pretty awesome. Great job investigating.. I feel like writing in to say how much I appreciate their work on cold cases that might never get another proper look-at otherwise.

And WOW. Well, glad there were exclusions via DNA. VERY interesting, wasn't it, all the info on Turley. If nothing else, his name and face are out there as warning to any other women who might come into his path..

The one thing - aside from the details of the crime itself - that chilled me to the bone was this quote from Turley, taken from the wire trace audio as he and another man discuss murder, specifically the question of why a killer would leave anyone alive at the scene:

Turley: Sure, you know I want, I want that power of people knowing me it's me that's there.

Johnson: That makes sense.

Turley: Same with leaving the children untouched. I want that power. The children know who was there and I, that's power forever.

(bbm)

Okay, so they were talking hypothetically. But jeez.. get a statement analysis guy onto some of this stuff and see what happens. I bet there's a ton of indications of guilt in those transcripts.

Wow, I actually have a lot to say after watching that video, but maybe I'll wait a bit and take some notes to think about before I post.

I have to wonder if hes committed other crimes.. This one was so planned, down to bringing all the 'tools' and avoiding leaving evidence behind.. A little too practised for a first time? Or was this a one-off that he's been getting off on for years...?

Lots to think about here!
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Timtams, drop bears and tinnies round the barbie: The Australia Thread

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ausgirl For This Useful Post:

Some areas it might be useful to look at for any similar crimes (scouting a timeline for these, when I get to it..)..

CASA GRANDE, AZ
    ESCALON, CA
    SAFFORD, AZ
    SACRAMENTO, CA
    MARICOPA, AZ
    ORANGE, CA
    SAN BERNARDINO, CA

interesting obit: http://newspaperarchive.com/casa-gra...5-09-01/page-2
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Timtams, drop bears and tinnies round the barbie: The Australia Thread

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ausgirl For This Useful Post:

Is there a link to Cold Justice so I can see it?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to scriptgirl For This Useful Post:

On the strength of all the circumstancial evidence I'm really surprised Turley wasn't presented to the Grand Jury - and it really worries me because this crime doesn't sound like the work of a novice or someone who wouldn't kill again!

It's just far too coincidental that the perp's footprints were followed to the college where he worked. But I'm very certain that there's one person, or one tiny piece of evidence that is out there waiting to be found to crack this case right open. Was anything else stolen from Mary Ann's house? Turley's infatuation with the victim suggests to me that he'd take a souvenir as well as the money.

I watched this case on Cold Justice and I was devastated when no one could be linked to this murder. That poor child living her whole life in fear of this person. When she said the "Lion Man", I thought possibly they had been to the zoo. We have a couple of little zoos around here that have big cats so I wondered if Mary had taken her kids recently to a zoo around there. I saw a picture at the end of the show with her sitting in front of some parrots and was curious as to where she was when that picture was taken.
    Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12