Closing Statement Expectations

Fluffy Puppy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I was wondering what everyone was thinking about Sunday's closing statements.

I know I am thinking Jose Baez will try and sneak in a bunch of stuff for which there is no evidence. Like the drowning and the abuse. I expect objections and arguments and it to turn into a big mess.

I also look forward to seeing the State tie everything together in a complete story for the jury. I love how they simplify the complex.

I know I am thinking Jose Baez will try and sneak in a bunch of stuff for which there is no evidence. Like the drowning and the abuse. I expect objections and arguments and it to turn into a big mess.

I also look forward to seeing the State tie everything together in a complete story for the jury. I love how they simplify the complex.

I was watching Judge Alex earlier on HLN and he said there are rarely any objections during closing arguments.

I was watching Judge Alex earlier on HLN and he said there are rarely any objections during closing arguments.

He must not have watched the closing arguement for the OJ case. The DT must have objected 60 times. I can't recall anything of what Marcia Clark said. She was badgered, interrupted, and objected to on almost every sentence.

Baez will not be allowed to make any statements referring to anything he did not back up with evidence from opening statements...which is pretty much everything. Not sure he's got anything to work with and I'm curious to see what he's going to say. Can't talk about abuse, George being involved in the accident, Kronk being involved along with every other bogus statement he made in opening.

He must not have watched the closing arguement for the OJ case. The DT must have objected 60 times. I can't recall anything of what Marcia Clark said. She was badgered, interrupted, and objected to on almost every sentence.

You are so right.:floorlaugh:

OT, but did you guys hear OJ confessed to killing Nicole and Ron but that it was self defense because Nicole pulled a knife on him?

Baez will not be allowed to make any statements referring to anything he did not back up with evidence from opening statements...which is pretty much everything. Not sure he's got anything to work with and I'm curious to see what he's going to say. Can't talk about abuse, George being involved in the accident, Kronk being involved along with every other bogus statement he made in opening.

You are right, of course, but we have seen him blurt things out that he wasn't supposed to say all along. I am thinking he will do the same tomorrow then cry foul with all the objections.

You are right, of course, but we have seen him blurt things out that he wasn't supposed to say all along. I am thinking he will do the same tomorrow then cry foul with all the objections.

Definitely agree, he plays dirty!

I remember that. WIth each objection, the item I threw at the tv got bigger and bigger.

Agreed. JB cries foul more than all the MLB umpires combined.

JMO

I think that I expect either JA or LDB to simply stand when they want to object and if His Honor agrees he will interrupt JB.

I think it will be subtle.

and When Prosecution presents we will hear some of those objection/sustained interludes.

I am so impressed with Belvin Perry Jr. I think he needs to keep closing on a straight and narrow to prevent a retrial on appeal.

I think JP will make it very clear where he stands once again on what can and can't be said during closing. I wouldn't even be surprised to hear a contempt of court warning given before they start off before the jury is seated. I think JP has had it with JB.

Baez should be allowed to talk about alleged drowning because it cannot be excluded from the evidence (at least arguably). Therefore, it is a reasonable doubt in the State's case he can argue. There doesn't have to be direct evidence for him to be able to argue it (otherwise the State wouldn't be able to argue that Caylee was murdered let alone by Casey), they can rely upon inferences that can be drawn from the evidence.

If this were not the case then the trial procedure would be entirely contrary to the fundamental principles of justice, nevermind any constitutional issues about the right to due process and a fair trial/.

I am going to miss them live...and probably won't get to see anything until tomorrow night.

I expect JB or CM to try and put on an best actor performance...but at the same time blow it by not following the guidelines laid out.

I expect the state to come across organized and smooth.

Agreed. JB cries foul more than all the MLB umpires combined.

JMO

Actually no. JA I would say is given JB a run for his money as far as gamesmanship is concerned.

I am not going to go deep into it. The board members have been round in circles about this and it is old ground that has been argued about before (with non consensus but no progress made)

Yeah but remember it is JB we are talking about :)

Yep and also this case has been nothing but normal. Further JA has a temper on him. Could be a long day. I can actually see JP sending the jury out to berate both sides after things getting heated and out of hand.

How long are the closing statements expected to last? Any idea?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back