1053 users online (228 members and 825 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Gary,
    You might start by sending a "Freedom of Information Act Request" to the FBI to see what kind of files they might have on your uncle Jackie's case. I do not know for certain that they were involved, but it is quite possible since the Lindburgh kidnapping preceeded it, and it led to legislation which made the FBI involved in any kidnapping case.
    Also, try contacting Michael Jacobson of the Paynesville newspaper. He researched and wrote the article quoted in this thread, and it is quite possible that he has more information and copies of the origional news stories in his files.
    Best of luck to you in your search.
    Richard,
    Thank You for your continued support. I have contacted the MN. division of the FBI, unfortunatly I have met yet another dead-end. They have NO RECORD of this case in either electric or hard copy file form. However they did point me in the direction of the FBI offices in Washington DC, and said they may have it archived, because it is so old. So.... I am now waiting for a reply from them. I am also giving serious thoughts to getting UNSOLVED MYSTERIES involved to see if they can turn up information that we have not or can not. Please keep digging for info. all leads are being actively pursued in this search for answers. Again, THANK YOU ALL for your assistance in this matter.
    SGT Gary L. Theel
    RRNCO IAARNG

Unfortunately I think Unsolved Mysteries has been off the air for a few years -- it still does reruns but does not make anymore new shows.

More Bad News

I've recieved a reply from both FBI Headquarters in Washington DC and The National Archival Records Division of the FBI in Maryland and there is NO RECORD or report on file in any form. I was refered to The Department of Justice witch is also in Maryland to search for records there. So far, NO LUCK. If anyone has any other suggestions they would be welcomed and appreciated. AS ALWAYS THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP YOU"VE GIVEN UP TO THIS POINT!!!
    SGT Gary L. Theel
    RRNCO IAARNG

So sorry to hear that Gary! Keep trying! Do not give up! You deserve answers and I think it is possible he is still alive.

Starting points for a search of records...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L. Theel
    I've recieved a reply from both FBI Headquarters in Washington DC and The National Archival Records Division of the FBI in Maryland and there is NO RECORD or report on file in any form. I was refered to The Department of Justice witch is also in Maryland to search for records there. So far, NO LUCK. If anyone has any other suggestions they would be welcomed and appreciated. AS ALWAYS THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP YOU"VE GIVEN UP TO THIS POINT!!!
    The FBI's response to you was very fast. A good indication that they are blowing you off, rather than actually doing any searching of the archives. Remember that this is an organization that would still be looking for the Unibomber if the Washington Post and NY Times had complied with their request to keep his "Manefisto" out of print.

The Minnesota FBI Office is quite correct to direct you to Washington DC, since their records probably only go back a few years locally. The National Archives at Suitland, MD or College Park, MD would probably be where the FBI file on Jackie is kept - if it was investigated by them, and if it still exists. There are some pretty good archive researchers and employees who could help you find something.

The problem would be coming up with the proper case file number to begin with. With that number, you could direct a specific request for it. Some records can only be viewed if first cleared by an FBI Point of Contact. The Archives could tell you specifically who that person is and what his address and phone number are. The FBI is a huge organization, and most of its employees would have no idea who you really need to speak with or what kind of records are held.

Perhaps a search of Minnesota newspaper archives would get you more information. They might indicate if the FBI was involved and might even identify the agent in charge of the investigation.

What information do the Minnesota State Police have on the case? I would think that after the local police had searched for a time, that they would have contacted the State Police.

Richard - I have volunteered to check the local newspapers (St Cloud and Paynesville) archives, but haven't been able to do so yet. I will be posting whatever new articles I find.

Wink Latest News

I have spoken with some of my family and little to my knowledge my grand-mother kept a scrapbook on this entire case. We (my mother and I) are trying now to find out who ended up with the scrapbook, when grandma passed away. But my mom says she very distictly recalls seeing an artical in this scrapbook that states that the FBI and the State Police were both involved. I have told my family about the incredible out pouring of assistance I have recieved from all of you, and they have asked me to express thier gratitude as well. When we finally figure out what has happened in this very mysterious case, I assure you all, that your help in this mattere WILL NOT go untold nor un-noticed.
    AS ALWAYS THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!
    Last edited by Gary L. Theel; 03-05-2005 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Typos
    SGT Gary L. Theel
    RRNCO IAARNG

Newspapers

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaKay
    Richard - I have volunteered to check the local newspapers (St Cloud and Paynesville) archives, but haven't been able to do so yet. I will be posting whatever new articles I find.
    PaulaKay,
    There is probably an index available at one of your major libraries which lists "Newspaper Holdings" for the many various cities and villages in Minnesota. Such a book would be of great assistance in locating microfilm or bound copies of old newspapers. Check out a map of Stearns County (St. Cloud is the County seat) and Kandioyohi County (Wilmar is County Seat) to see what towns are in the vicinity of Paynesville and compare it to the Newspaper index to see what papers might have covered Jackie's disappearance.

Meeker County (Litchfield is the County Seat) is adjacent to both Stearns and Kandioyohi Counties, and towns there might also have covered the story in their local papers.

The county police (sheriff?) records in those counties might also hold some information.

Besides looking for stories about Jackie's disappearance, you might look for daily train schedules for the day that he went missing, to determine when the trains passed through Paynesville, and which way they were headed. The main line which passed through Paynesville was the Minneapolis, St. Paul and Sault St. Marie RR. It was popularly referred to as "The Soo Line" even then.

Jackie's scent was followed to the Railroad by tracking dogs, where they lost it. It is posible that he may have been abducted by one of the migrants or hobos who traveled the rails back then.

Best of luck in your research.

Update

Today, I recieved a call from the archival department at the Department of Justice. The gentelman I spoke with informed me that he had completed a search of the records at both the Department of Justice and the FBI archives and much to my disappointment found, (you guessed it) NO RECORD or any further information on this matter. The editor of the Paynesville Press and I have spoken a couple of times, both on the phone and via e-mail. He assures me that he too is compileing the notes and information he has and is going to forward them to me . With any luck, after the research is done, we will find some resolution to this matter.
    SGT Gary L. Theel
    RRNCO IAARNG

Hi Gary,
    What an amazing story! Let me add my luck wishes to you in your search. I had another thought - were there any army bases nearby in 1944? I know the military is often more secretive than the government authorities in these matters but that may be a lead worth pursuing, if your family really believes he was abducted. One other person also mentioned the fact that a solider may get out of the army if he has a dependant - were any soliders discharged at that time for that reason? Or a more sinister reason?
    Perhaps if there were any soldiers dishonourably discharged around the same time, or if it's at all possible to access records listing disciplinary action taken against soldiers, maybe there's a clue there?
    Good luck!

Incredible News

As you all know, I have been in contact with the editor of the Paynesville Press. It seems someone is smiling down on me , because he has sent me any and every newspaper article that has had Jackies name printed in it, to include my Grandparents obituaries. Much to my delight, not only did it have the names of the investigating agencies and the persons in charge of the investgations from the individual agencies. It also has the names of the two mysterious "boys" who seen him gitting into the "lite grey colored car". I have not had the opportunity to follow up on them yet, but as I understand it, AT LEAST ONE OF THEM IS STILL ALIVE!!!! . I'm trying very hard not to get too exited about this glimmer of hope, but it is difficult when this seems to be the first ray of light that has been shed on this case since my search began. AS ALWAYS, Thank You All for the help and encouragement you have offered to me in my journey and search for answers. Keep the suggestions coming. All leads are followed up on.
    SGT Gary L. Theel
    RRNCO IAARNG

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L. Theel
    As you all know, I have been in contact with the editor of the Paynesville Press. It seems someone is smiling down on me , because he has sent me any and every newspaper article that has had Jackies name printed in it, to include my Grandparents obituaries. Much to my delight, not only did it have the names of the investigating agencies and the persons in charge of the investgations from the individual agencies. It also has the names of the two mysterious "boys" who seen him gitting into the "lite grey colored car". I have not had the opportunity to follow up on them yet, but as I understand it, AT LEAST ONE OF THEM IS STILL ALIVE!!!! . I'm trying very hard not to get too exited about this glimmer of hope, but it is difficult when this seems to be the first ray of light that has been shed on this case since my search began. AS ALWAYS, Thank You All for the help and encouragement you have offered to me in my journey and search for answers. Keep the suggestions coming. All leads are followed up on.
    Gary,
    Sounds like you have some very good paths to search now. Please keep us posted, and let us know if we can help in any way.

Just bumping this up to see if there's any updates from Gary?

Just wanted to say I am keeping Jackie's family in my thoughts and prayers- hopeing they find much needed answers to this long ( too long) mystery.

First Day of School...

With schools starting up again, remember Little Jackie Theel who disappeared on his first day of school 5 September 1944.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast