We the jury find the defendant Casey Anthony...

We the Websleuth Jury find the defendant Casey Anthony...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who_What_When

Trying to keep an open mind...
Reaction score
Since it's almost time for deliberations I thought it would be interesting if we at Websleuths deliberated this case as if we were a JUROR in this trial. I realize that a large percentage think that Casey is guilty but IF you were in the jury room and had to decide her faith by going through the evidence as presented in this trial only and by following the guideline of the law, what would you decide?

Per Central Florida News 13 (http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2011/july/273571/), here are the charges that the jury will have to decide on Casey's faith:

Count One, First Degree Murder: If Casey Anthony is convicted of first degree murder, regardless of whether it is on a theory of Pre-meditated Murder or Felony Murder she will receive at a minimum a life sentence. For many years, a life sentence in Florida is a life sentence, which means there is no parole or early release. A defendant convicted of first degree murder only leaves prison after his or her death. The only alternative to a life sentence is death by execution.

Lesser Included of Count One, Second Degree Murder: (depraved mind murder, not premeditated) The maximum penalty for Second Degree Murder is a life sentence. The minimum sentence is based on the Criminal Punishment Code. The estimated minimum sentence for this charge and other charges which might result in conviction along with this count would be 24 years, 6 months.

Count Two, Aggravated Child Abuse: The maximum penalty for aggravated child is 15 years in prison. The estimated minimum sentence for this charge and other charges which might result in conviction along with this count would be 12 years, 1 month.

Count Three, Aggravated Manslaughter of a Child: If Casey Anthony is convicted of causing the death of Caylee by culpable negligence the maximum sentence is 30 years in prison. The estimated minimum sentence for this charge and other charges which might result in conviction along with this count would be 16 years and 6 months.

Counts Four Through Seven, Giving False Information to a Law Enforcement Officer in Reference to a Missing Person: The charge in these four counts carries a maximum of one year in county jail for each count. As a result if convicted of all four of these counts, Casey Anthony could receive a sentence of four years if the sentence for each count is run consecutively.

Tomorrow JP will be issuing the actual jury instructions for this case but in the meantime here are links to Florida's Standard Jury Instructions:

http://www.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/JN...9829d8cfcf983df58525775a00745ee9!OpenDocument

For a better understanding, here is a link to a Legal analyst explaining jury instructions and murder charges:

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/new...explains-jury-instructions-and-murder-charges

Guilty on all counts!

this goes toward my opinion of it being felony murder

Wow. Just from the few votes so far ICA's goose is cooked if we were on the jury.

I think the jury will find her guilty of count 4 thru 7
As for murder ..I think she will be found guilty of manslaughter of a child .
She DESERVES murder 1 but don't know if all the jurors will agree on that .

Wow. Just from the few votes so far ICA's goose is cooked if we were on the jury.

I understand everyone's initial feelings but I would hope that the jury gives it more thought than that or this country is in trouble! lol

So you wouldn't need to deliberate at all?

definitely I'd deliberate. IMO 2 options

1. premeditated murder

2. an accident as a result of gross neglect/abuse. <--MOO

could both not fall under the murder 1 category?

I've been wrong before:innocent:

definitely I'd deliberate. IMO 2 options

1. premeditated murder

2. an accident caused by gross neglect/abuse. <--MOO

could both not fall under the murder 1 category?

I've been wrong before:innocent:

I don't know for sure. I think that's what would happen. I believe that aggravated manslaughter is a first-degree felony so she would be found guilty of 1st degree murder.

Although I'd like to see Count one-First Degree Murder as the conviction, based on what the jury has seen I predict -
Count Three, Aggravated Manslaughter of a Child

I am not certain that the State has proven Count one. IMO

At this point I do not think she made Chloroform, but I do think something nefarious happened to Caylee in the trunk of that car.

the biggest flaw in the defense is why were the chloroform searches deleted? I have to go see but I believe it was shortly after a visit by Det. Yuri Melich. An innocent person wouldn't need to go to the computer to delete anything if they had nothing to hide.

Also, where was Caylee before she died and was with "Zanny" not GA, CA, or friends? That thought has haunted me from the start.

Guilty of first degree hiring the most unethical defense attorney in Florida.

I'd LIKE her to be found guilty of premeditated murder, but I don't think the jury will go for that. But they may go for all of the rest of the charges, which should get her a pretty lengthy stay in the clink. Sounds good to me.

So you wouldn't need to deliberate at all?

I tried really hard to keep an open mind from the beginning of the trial, even though I knew a lot about the case before that. I kept hoping the defense would prove their case, in fact, because it's hard for me to believe that anyone could do that to their child. It's hard for me to accept.

That being said, after hearing everything from the prosecution, and everything from the defense, I think the state proved their case. I wouldn't try to sway someone else's decision, and I really don't think anyone could sway mine at this point.

If the jury buys that the duct tape is the murder weapon because of Dr. G's argument and JA's indication it was unnecessary to cover the breathing apertures of a living child, then they may go with premeditated murder. One piece, maybe not. But three long pieces of duct tape applied is calculated and gives enough pause for reflection. If the jury is a bit unsure of the premeditation part, perhaps where the google searches for various ways to kill or maim people will help the jury tip in that direction.

I don't see the felony manslaughter charge on the list. If it is indeed a felony to administer chloroform to a child and use duct tape to tape a child's face, and the result is death for a child under 12, then that puts the sentence in the same place as Murder One in the state of Florida.

The consciousness of guilt evident by hiding Caylee's body in plastic bags and a canvas laundry bag, and the cavalier way her remains were disposed of, may also be a factor in the jury determining that this was a purposeful homicide.

The jury may think that certain forensic aspects are weak when considered individually, but when considered as an aggregate, I'd think they would point to some charge that has LWOP. Although this jury is exhausted and may not want to go through a prolonged mitigation phase, so they may not convict on the maximum. I'm having a rough time predicting what this jury might do seeing as how we've heard so many stories about this juror or that one. Oh well, as CM said, time for those people to light some candles. I just hope they remember who they should be lighting them for - innocent little Caylee who had her voice silenced without her permission.

After going over all the evidence from both the defense and the state, I believe she is guilty of all counts.

If the jury buys that the duct tape is the murder weapon because of Dr. G's argument and JA's indication it was unnecessary to cover the breathing apertures of a living child, then they may go with premeditated murder. One piece, maybe not. But three long pieces of duct tape applied is calculated and gives enough pause for reflection. If the jury is a bit unsure of the premeditation part, perhaps where the google searches for various ways to kill or maim people will help the jury tip in that direction.

I don't see the felony manslaughter charge on the list. If it is indeed a felony to administer chloroform to a child and use duct tape to tape a child's face, and the result is death for a child under 12, then that puts the sentence in the same place as Murder One in the state of Florida.

The consciousness of guilt evident by hiding Caylee's body in plastic bags and a canvas laundry bag, and the cavalier way her remains were disposed of, may also be a factor in the jury determining that this was a purposeful homicide.

The jury may think that certain forensic aspect are weak when considered individually, but when considered as an aggregate, I'd think they would point to some charge that has LWOP. Although this jury is exhausted and may not want to go through a prolonged mitigation phase, so they may not convict on the maximum. I'm having a rough time predicting what this jury might do seeing as how we've heard so many stories about this juror or that one. Oh well, as CM said, time for those people to light some candles. I just hope they remember who they should be lighting them for - innocent little Caylee who had her voice silenced without her permission.

I believe that the felony manslaughter is Aggravated Manslaughter of a Child.

I don't know for sure. I think that's what would happen. I believe that aggravated manslaughter is a first-degree felony so she would be found guilty of 1st degree murder.
Aggravated child abuse is the predicate felony for a felony murder conviction.

I haven't voted yet because I really want to try and be objective and really think about each count, but as of right now I would probably be able to vote for first degree murder only because of today. I haven't always felt that the duct tape was used as the method of murder because I couldn't really visualize how it played out but after the SA spoke today I think they did a great job of bringing this together for me.

I have always questioned the Chloroform in this case and after hearing Jose today I have to admit that he created reasonable doubt for me regarding the Chloroform. I was never convinced that it was used or even a factor in this case and have always thought it had to do with Ricardo's Myspace picture, so to hear that she was on myspace right before searching Chloroform just makes sense to me. It would be exactly what I would do if my boyfriend had the picture posted and I didn't know what it was. I'm still keeping an open mind and will wait to hear what the SA says about the 84 searches and what their thoughts are on it, but as of now I don't believe that Chloroform played a role in her murder.

As far as the other counts, as of right now I would vote guilty on aggravated manslaughter and the 4 counts of lying. I do not see her being guilty of aggravated child abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie