Fundraiser for Cheerleader; fined for refusal to cheer for her rapist

TGIRecovered

Reaction score
Online Campaign Aims to Help Cheerleader Who Refused to Cheer for Player She Said Raped Her

One cheerleader stepped away from the group, folded her arms and stood in silence, refusing to cheer for the star athlete who she says raped her at a party in this Southeast Texas town.

Now, two years later, that silent protest is drawing new attention across the nation as the result of an unusual series of events. Those events left the family of the victim, who was then 16, facing $40,000 in penalties from the legal proceedings that followed the incident, while her alleged attacker was freed after reduced charges.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/0...fused-to-cheer-for-player-said/#ixzz1R6GNH3iQ

A fund has been started to help this rape victim's father, a landscaper, pay the school district the $40,000 fine.

This is such a wrong thing for the court and the school district to do to this family. She refused to cheer for her rapist, but because it had yet to go to court, the district suspended her. When the family filed a protest, they lost due to the technicality. Now they are stuck with a 40,000 dollar debt.

I'm my opinion, the school board, the judge any any misogynist fool who believes this girl should have cheered for the who raped her should be thrown in prison and raped by the inmates, then make them cheer for their rapist in front of a huge crowd.

Stupidity seems to run rampant in Silsbee, Texas!

...I'm my opinion, the school board, the judge any any misogynist fool who believes this girl should have cheered for the who raped her should be thrown in prison and raped by the inmates, then make them cheer for their rapist in front of a huge crowd....

I share your sympathy for this girl and her family.

But IMHO calling for more rapes is a poor way to make the point that rape is wrong.

This is nutty. What kind of idiot would propose this?

Why would this girl be forced to cheer for this boy? I think the matter should have been handled by ADULTS.

Goz

I don't know, I'm seeing that the article is being sensationalized. She's not being "forced to cheer for her rapist" she's a member of the cheerleading squad and he's on the team and she was expected to cheer for him.

Schools are pretty lax about "protests" as long as it doesn't disrupt the learning process and though it's "cheerleading" and "sports" it was a school activity.

In court documents, school officials said they were justified in punishing her, saying that at the time of the 2009 playoff game Bolton was not facing any charges. Her conduct violated school rules and her allegations appeared to be "the story of a girl who became angry with a boy about something that may or may not have happened at a private party," the schools' attorneys said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/0...fused-to-cheer-for-player-said/#ixzz1RbzOByQR

I have sympathy for the girl but it irks me the way news paper articles misconstrue the truth and churn up a frenzy of followers that don't stop and read what was actually going on.

She did NOT cheer for her rapist and was suspended for it.

She staged a public protest in the middle of a school activity and that's why she was suspended.

Later it turned out that there was more to the story.

Beyond that I DO think we should raise funds to help her. I think it's ridiculous that she had to pay once the allegations were revealed to be true.

However she sued the school based on a false premise that she was "forced to cheer for her rapist"

She wasn't, she was suspended for not cheering for him

That's where the money is coming into it. She wasn't fined for refusing to cheer for him.

Why was the rapist allowed to stay on the team? The cheerleader was the VICTIM, she did nothing wrong, so why should she have had to step down from her position because she did not want to cheer for the person who raped her?

I think it's just semantics to say "she wasn't forced to cheer for her rapist".

I think that her "public protest" was extremely classy and she is a very brave young woman to face up to the hatred of the community because she had the audacity to be raped by a star athlete, and then didn't quietly quit school and cheerleading so as not to cause any further embarrassment to the poor rapist.

This is nutty. What kind of idiot would propose this?

Why would this girl be forced to cheer for this boy? I think the matter should have been handled by ADULTS.

Goz

Yes, there were adult school officials, and parents. Why was this girl having to handle this on her own? If this were not about rape, you could bet that the school would be micro-managing this to death!

Why was the rapist allowed to stay on the team? The cheerleader was the VICTIM, she did nothing wrong, so why should she have had to step down from her position because she did not want to cheer for the person who raped her?

I think it's just semantics to say "she wasn't forced to cheer for her rapist".

I think that her "public protest" was extremely classy and she is a very brave young woman to face up to the hatred of the community because she had the audacity to be raped by a star athlete, and then didn't quietly quit school and cheerleading so as not to cause any further embarrassment to the poor rapist.

Again the facts are there

In court documents, school officials said they were justified in punishing her, saying that at the time of the 2009 playoff game Bolton was not facing any charges. Her conduct violated school rules and her allegations appeared to be "the story of a girl who became angry with a boy about something that may or may not have happened at a private party," the schools' attorneys said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/03...#ixzz1RbzOByQR

Yes Chewy, the facts are there.

I am sure that she did not anticipate being assaulted by a football player when she made her decision to try out for cheerleader. When the school suspended her for standing quietly by instead of participating in the cheers for the rapist, she was not given any alternative. The only choice she could make which would not result in suspension was to cheer for the player who put her through the humiliation, degradation, pain, anguish and rish of STD's which result from the crime of rape. The message sent by the school officials after the game was clear: cheer for your rapist or be suspended! She didn't chose to be raped, she was forced. She was not allowed any choice but to cheer him on; she was forced to cheer for him or face the unjust consequence of suspension, and she probably did not even know at the time that suspension would be the result!

This girl did not shout accusations at the football player/rapist. She did not jump up and down and scream obscenities. She did not come to the game with potest signs, or a bullhorn. It is clear to me that she did not "stage a public protest". All she did was decline to cheer while the rapist was in the game.

All reports I've seen state simply that when he came on the field, she stopped cheering. That's about as passive as one can get, in my opinion. You can be sure that if she had made a scene or interfered in any way with the rest of the squad, (who continued to cheer), the media would have been all over it with pics and videos and quotes!

It is fine for you to express your opinion whatever it is, but please be assured that those who disagree are not necessarily guilty of failure to "stop and read what was really going on" . We simply read the same story that you did, and used our own intelligence and life experiences to come to a different conclusion!

This set a new low in victims rights. Since when, in the US, did you have to continue to cheer, if you feel unable to either physically or emotionally? Sounds like a violation of her rights to me.

I agree and disagree with parts of this. Had this turned out to be a false accusation and proven to be a hoax by a girl scorned then I could see them wanting the family to pay.

However, once the allegations were proven true the school district should have let it go and apologized.

Unfortunately, screaming rape publicly has been used over the years as a lie to help the supposed victim. (I.E. KC) Since the guy wasn't facing charges at the time it's a little dicey. Her protest was silent but I'm sure people in the crowd wondered why she stepped away and a lot of questions were asked. If this had turned out to be a false allegation that guy would have been labeled a rapist and many people would still think he was guilty when he wasn't.

These situations are never easy to parse. I don't know what should have been done when it first happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefdartz
Back