1282 users online (230 members and 1052 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    386

    Is anyone afraid to search things on the computer now ?

    With all this back and forth about the computer searches, is there anything any of you are hesitant to look up on your home computer ? I thought this topic would help distract us and lighten moods while we wait for the jury to make their decisions. For me, I wonder if my websleuths activity will ever cause me grief. LOL

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    37,782
    Ha, ha I thought about it, but then with all of the stuff I have already searched since I have had my laptop, I'd be in big trouble anyway. So I went ahead and searched a few of the terms that were on Casey's computer just for the heck of it

    I'm hoping my stacks of notebooks with cases I am interested in, and notes for possible novels, would back-up my gory searches...but they would still make for headlines if I am ever charged with murder.
    Just my opinion, of course.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    141
    No way. I'm naturally inquisitive and will always search something I've overheard or read to find out more.

    Plus, I'm not in the head space that Casey Anthony was in either.

    Searching peculiar things is only relative if you do something wrong. For normal, law-abiding people, it's just curiosity.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento CA
    Posts
    9,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovi Girl View Post
    With all this back and forth about the computer searches, is there anything any of you are hesitant to look up on your home computer ? I thought this topic would help distract us and lighten moods while we wait for the jury to make their decisions. For me, I wonder if my websleuths activity will ever cause me grief. LOL
    I wouldn't worry about Websleuths were you are anonymous. Facebook or other social media were you personal info may be exposed is a differant matter.I read that for employment purposes some background checks include social media. Look out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    37,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosee_Parker View Post
    No way. I'm naturally inquisitive and will always search something I've overheard or read to find out more.

    Plus, I'm not in the head space that Casey Anthony was in either.

    Searching peculiar things is only relative if you do something wrong. For normal, law-abiding people, it's just curiosity.
    Well it could be awkward if you were accused of a crime, even if you were innocent...
    Just my opinion, of course.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    348
    Only of being found obsessive. I looked at my history for the last three days because I was looking for a link and 98% of my history was related this this case: WBS, wftv, comprised the majority of my history haha!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    rigthe hier
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosee_Parker View Post
    Searching peculiar things is only relative if you do something wrong. For normal, law-abiding people, it's just curiosity.
    You hope so?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    rigthe hier
    Posts
    201
    I'm scared as hell. Even before I read about KC I knew that if I end up on the wrong side of the court those searches will be used against me. KC's case just confirmed it.

    And frankly I don't believe in chloroform theory. Making chloroform isn't an easy task and definitely out of KC's intelligence range. She searched because of the picture posted by her boyfriend. The traces of chloroform in the car were because Cindy cleaned the car with household cleaners. But prosecutors used it anyway.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Posts
    3,198
    Quote Originally Posted by RR473 View Post
    I'm scared as hell. Even before I read about KC I knew that if I end up on the wrong side of the court those searches will be used against me. KC's case just confirmed it.

    And frankly I don't believe in chloroform theory. Making chloroform isn't an easy task and definitely out of KC's intelligence range. She searched because of the picture posted by her boyfriend. The traces of chloroform in the car were because Cindy cleaned the car with household cleaners. But prosecutors used it anyway.
    We discussed this a while back in another thread...one of our members did it in his backyard, another said it was relatively easy, and then we went off on a tangent about making aqua regia in the backyard...At any rate, don't think she had to have the ratios right to make a toxic product and don't know enough about whether a bad mix would still off-gas chloroform, but someone here did and wrote about it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,910
    Nope, I'd be able to prove I often post on true crime forums and need to research sometimes prior to commenting.


    "Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler".

    Albert Einstein


    “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”.

    Mahatma Gandhi


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,328
    Nah, because anyone who knows me knows that I'm an advocate for children, and I look up so many cases. Hubby can verify that (as can my son). I've looked up some pretty pecuiliar stuff in the last couple of years. Also, if LE got ahold of my pooter, they would know how much I posted here. Kinda tells a lot, eh?

    I haven't killed anyone (nor will I ever), but I look at all my searches as positive! Sure, others may look at in a different light, but DH and DS know me much better than that!

    MOO

    Mel

  12. #12
    cakegirl0905's Avatar
    cakegirl0905 is offline Me and My Gas Can. It is a part of me, and I am a part of it. :p
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    459
    Ha ha. Yep. Scared. And I'm sure my multiple trips to this site to read about terrible things isn't good, either.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Posts
    3,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Nah, because anyone who knows me knows that I'm an advocate for children, and I look up so many cases. Hubby can verify that (as can my son). I've looked up some pretty pecuiliar stuff in the last couple of years. Also, if LE got ahold of my pooter, they would know how much I posted here. Kinda tells a lot, eh?

    I haven't killed anyone (nor will I ever), but I look at all my searches as positive! Sure, others may look at in a different light, but DH and DS know me much better than that!

    MOO

    Mel
    Spot on-and furthermore, no one would have any reason to ever be looking at my private stuff/searches.
    Billie Dunn had a lot of sleuthy type stuff or murder type stuff in her possession, but she also was involved in drugs, child porn and the overall content of the crime stories she collected were over the top, from what I remember. And her daughter ended up not-so-mysteriously missing.

    LE would know, based on surrounding circumstances, what the deal is.
    Besides, if you think our computers look hinky, imagine what the mods' PC's look like, or Val's, or JWG's, etc. Since we're all interconnected, we'd have to be the biggest "Manson Family" ever!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    905
    We celebrate FREE SPEECH and First Amendment Rights this weekend. Hooray.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,072
    You should see all the crap I've looked up in regards to this case. You'd think I was going to go chloro my baby. lol

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Buckeye Girls - Be Afraid...Be Very Afraid
    By Fritzy's Mom in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 09:54 AM