Animal Care and Control offers tips on protecting pets from fireworks

Dark Knight

Reaction score
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) - Fireworks are a big Fourth of July tradition but they can also put a lot of stress on pets.

Animal Care and Control officials are sending out a reminder to pet owners to use extra caution over the next few nights.

The loud noises and lights produced by fireworks can easily scare off pets.
They recommend keeping them inside your home as much as possible this week.

Pets also shouldn't be taken to fireworks shows and should have the proper license and identification tags.

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/local/animal-care-and-control-pet-protection-from-fireworks

While my kitties are indoors only, they do sometimes react to fireworks/noise. Gracie has been pretty good - barking quite a bit, but tonight I'll bring her in early, so hopefully she'll feel safer/better. She's not showing any real anxiety, but she is barking more at night than normal...so she'll come in late afternoon, and just be inside.

(I normally bring her in about 8 pm each night anyway, but she can come in early today...)

And I don't like loud noises, either.

Be watchful, folks...and thanks for posting, DK.

Best-
Herding Cats

Poor Gracie...it's really hard to protect a frantic 85 pound puppy...so she's "sitting" in my lap. She lost her poor puppy composure about 10 minutes ago, and threw her head around so fast I couldn't move mine. Result? A gash on the bridge of my nose, and a few minutes of howling (her) and grumbling (me).

I did let her out a few times, but she tore around the backyard, barking as loud and as warningly as I've ever heard her...so I brought her in...and she climbed onto the sofa, and then tried to hide behind me, so I brought her forward to my lap. We watched a movie together, and she's calming down now.

My nose hurts. LOL.

I will say that should war break out, I'll have a great warning system.

Maybe next year will be better...she should be about 150 pounds by then, so I sincerely HOPE it will be better...

Thanks again for posting, DK...

Best-
Herding Cats

Oddly, our scaredy cat, who hides under the bed when most people come over, sat on a stool next to an open window and watched the fireworks! I don't know what came over her! :)

I was talking with a friend about pets and fireworks the other day, she's been dogsitting for another friend. Apparently the high-anxiety dog has a little vest that they put on her during storms and fireworks, and she claims it really works. Not sure the exact product, but here is a link I found with my mad google skills.

RLynne, that's a great idea. I don't think Grace needs it, though...she is still a baby, and managed it generally all right. She didn't panic or get aggressive or anything, just wanted to be inside and snuggled a bit.

And we don't generally get thunder storms here, although I could see that working in a T'storm.

Of course, I don't think you posted just for Gracie, so I hope others who do need this can get it, and let their fuzzbabies feel safer.

Best-
Herding Cats

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie