Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #16

IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #16

Welcome and thank you for joining the discussion.

Good Things to Know before you Post

• Websleuths is a victim friendly environment. Discussing a victim's behavior or character is acceptable only when it's relevant to the circumstances of the case and done so in a reasonable manner. This policy extends to family members of the victim, as well.
    • Do not attack or bash other members. Arguments should be aimed at the post, but not at the poster. If you're having a consistent problem with a member who always gets under your skin, go to the User Control Panel and enter a selection to ignore that member. If you need help finding the Ignore feature, a mod will be glad to help you.
    • If you see an offensive post, don't call out the poster. Hit the Alert icon (red triangle) so a mod can handle the problem. If you respond to the post, you risk becoming part of the problem. If you quote an offensive post that is later deleted by a mod, your post is subject to deletion, as well.
    • Rumors circulating on other message boards and websites meant to harm or incriminate individuals not mentioned in MSM reports as parties in a case, must remain where you found them.
    • Do not link to Facebook, Myspace and other social networking sites associated with individuals, such as relatives and friends of victims and suspects. Generally, it is okay to link to a victim's page or a named suspect's page.
    • Do not copy and paste posts or comments from other sites. If you come across a post/comment that is pertinent to the discussion, type a sentence or two describing what it says, and then post a link. Please use common sense when referencing comments from other sites.
    • We can cut and paste from MSM news articles, but no more than 10% of the original article. And always provide a link.
    • Do not ask other members to send you a PM, and do not discuss PM's in the open forum. Remember, the P stands for "Private".
    • Members who wish to post opinions as experts or professionals in a particular field; or, members who wish to post as locals/insiders with specific information about a case, must first be verified. See the link below for more information.
    • If you have any doubts or questions about what is acceptable, please do not hesitate to contact a mod.

These links contain helpful user information. Others are posted in the sticky sections of the forums.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79876"]Terms of Service - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97021"]Threadiquette- Questions about rules welcome here - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

How to Become a Verified Member

Thank you
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Who's Who in the Lauren Spierer Case, Updated 06-30-11 (by the Herald Times Online)

Btown's map

http://www.lohud.com/article/20110615/NEWS02/106150373

Re: the photo released Wednesday, 06-15-2011, of Lauren leaving Smallwood Apartments the evening of June 2, 2011.

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=81929

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-laure...,1261306.story

Bloomington Police search for missing 20 year old woman
    Lauren Spierer, age 20.
    She is a white female, 4 feet 11 inches tall, slender build, has blue eyes and long blonde hair. She is listed as a student according to IU Bloomington's website.
    Spierer was last seen walking south on College Avenue from 11th Street on her way back to her apartment in Smallwood Plaza, located on College Avenue.
    She did not arrive to her apartment and video footage does not show her entering the apartment complex.
    Spierer was wearing a white tank top with a loose, light colored button shirt over it and full length black stretch pants. She was not wearing shoes.
    __________________________________________________ _________
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138950"]Thread #1[/ame]

Thread #2
    Thread #3
    Thread #4
    Thread #5
    Thread #6

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140633"]Thread #7[/ame]
    Thread #8
    Thread #9
    Thread #10
    Thread #11
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141879"]Thread #12[/ame]

Thread #13
    Thread #14
    Thread 15
    [ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139766"]Media Links[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140294"]Photos[/ame]
    Last edited by bessie; 07-08-2011 at 10:15 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

A quick question...what is the most likely theory of why her keys and purse ended up where they did? According to the map of her route she never walked directly by that location.

Here’s a question:
    How thorough are Law Enforcement when it comes to searching homes in a case like this? We know they’ve searched CR, JR, and JW’s homes at least, I would hope they would have also searched the homes of anyone Lauren knows at 10 North.

We know dogs have been brought in, would it also be routine to do things such as

1) Confiscate and examine computers?
    2) Look through receipts, notebooks, suff like that?
    3) Check for traces of blood/DNA in sinks, tubs, on the carpet, on clothing etc...?

Can they do this if they don’t already have clear evidence linking a person to a crime? What would a warrant allow them to do? I’m just curious what is routine.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eqh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Missing Budweiser View Post
    A quick question...what is the most likely theory of why her keys and purse ended up where they did? According to the map of her route she never walked directly by that location.
    The map is an approximation. She likely did walk by that location.
    Just my opinion

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by eqh View Post
    Hereís a question:
    How thorough are Law Enforcement when it comes to searching homes in a case like this? We know theyíve searched CR, JR, and JWís homes at least, I would hope they would have also searched the homes of anyone Lauren knows at 10 North.

We know dogs have been brought in, would it also be routine to do things such as

1) Confiscate and examine computers?
    2) Look through receipts, notebooks, suff like that?
    3) Check for traces of blood/DNA in sinks, tubs, on the carpet, on clothing etc...?

Can they do this if they donít already have clear evidence linking a person to a crime? What would a warrant allow them to do? Iím just curious what is routine.
    I don't think LE can do any of these things unless they get an warrant or the person agrees to let them do it. And I am not sure how many people would agree with confiscation of their computer voluntarily.
    Just my opinion

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

LE can probably get warrants for some places/things based on "probable cause", standard not being as high as needed to arrest someone. But at the most, probably places where Lauren was known to be that night, not just places where she knew people. Probably can get them for electronics of a number of people, JMO.
    Just my opinion, of course.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

Do you guys know when we will get aheads down/up on the body?

Considering the Spierers were passing flyers for people to help find Lauren, I don't think it's her. But I'd still like a confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgirl2010 View Post
    Do you guys know when we will get aheads down/up on the body?

Considering the Spierers were passing flyers for people to help find Lauren, I don't think it's her. But I'd still like a confirmation.
    I want to know who that is regardless. Hopefully some other case can get solved if its not LS.
    Just my opinion

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    I want to know who that is regardless. Hopefully some other case can get solved if its not LS.
    That's true.

I mean, how long can an autopsy take??

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    I kind of hope she turns out to be one of the cases here on WS...and think it could be, due to the decomposition, it is not someone who just went missing this past week, for example. For some reason, I was thinking Roxanne Shah, but now, not so much, due to location. Maybe the grandmother who went missing June 13th?

PS- Obviously I don't mean I hope anyone we've dicussed here is deceased...just hoping one case can be resolved...

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patience For This Useful Post:

They started at 9:30 EST this morning, so it's only been an hour. Hopefully some answers will come soon.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SnowAngels For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    Um, that article needs some serious fact-checking.

"The body was found in the water near the 6500 block of East Fall Creek Parkway, just three miles from Spierer's school."

?? That location is at least an hour away from Bloomington.

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SnowAngels For This Useful Post:

If not Lauren...where is she?? Will she be found?
    In most cases I have followed it seems to be right away or a very long time...
    Morgan was one exception, found in about 3.5 months, which is relatively "quick."

But so many others, not at all...I always hear Mark Klaas saying, as he did on Nancy Grace one night, when talking about Hasanni Campbell..."it is such a huge world and his body is so tiny..."

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

I just looked up the location. omg, that location is right next to the country club my friend is getting married at next summer (I'm a bridesmaid).

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnowAngels For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    I kind of hope she turns out to be one of the cases here on WS...and think it could be, due to the decomposition, it is not someone who just went missing this past week, for example. For some reason, I was thinking Roxanne Shah, but now, not so much, due to location. Maybe the grandmother who went missing June 13th?

PS- Obviously I don't mean I hope anyone we've dicussed here is deceased...just hoping one case can be resolved...
    You are more optimistic than I. I believe the older cases would be in far more advanced decay. It is most likely Dorothy Heard.

Onward, let us find them all and bring them home. maybe we should launch a FINDthemall day.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blythe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SnowAngels View Post
    They started at 9:30 EST this morning, so it's only been an hour. Hopefully some answers will come soon.
    Autopsy + identification (easy if LS, Nobelsville woman, maybe hard otherwise) + notifying family (if possible) + briefing LE + press announcement or press conference (maybe)....

I dunno... my guess would be hearing something (maybe announcing a presser) between 2 and 3??

31. The Following User Says Thank You to eqh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SnowAngels View Post
    I just looked up the location. omg, that location is right next to the country club my friend is getting married at next summer (I'm a bridesmaid).

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Tr. For This Useful Post:

Autopsy results on body expected Tues.
    Updated: Tuesday, 05 Jul 2011, 10:14 AM EDT
    Published : Tuesday, 05 Jul 2011, 10:14 AM EDT

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Autopsy results on the body of a woman found in Fall Creek in Indianapolis Sunday are expected by noon on Tuesday, officials say.
    http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local...-expected-tues

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PineMushroom For This Useful Post:

Another possibility

Fall creek runs through some urban and high-crime areas. It is in the realm of possibility this could be someone local or passing through the area who has either not been reported missing or hasnít received any public attention.

But all lives are created equal by the Lord, so letís hope that comfort is given and justice is served regardless.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to eqh For This Useful Post:

This post was by Tr. in the previous thread. Worth bringing over here incase anyone missed it.

I spent a few hours looking around the area where the body was located in Fall Creek.
    I went up stream and looked for places where it would be the easiest to move a body from a car to the creek without being noticed. I also scoured the ground around these places for any sign of jewelery of clothing...nothing found.
    A couple of things that stand out (to me) about this area as a chosen body dump site:
    - There is hardly anywhere along this creek that you would not be taking a considerable risk in being seen disposing of a body or moving a large object from a car..etc
    There is a lot of traffic and the area is heavily populated.
    - A couple of the best spots for doing so require that you trespass on Boy Scouts of America property...but the creek is very close to the road (along Fall Creek Pkwy just east of Shadeland Ave.) and dense with trees and vegetation.
    - Further to the East is Ft Benjamin Harrison State Park

- Imo someone utilizing this area as a body disposal sight would likely have a strong familiarity with it beforehand.
    In other words, they did not just pull off of the interstate and find this in the dark. Imo, they had to know the area.

-As mentioned earlier, Fall Creek is fed by Geist Reservoir. It's possible that the body was dropped near the dam.
    And, again I think this would require some knowledge of the area.
    Although the dam is several miles upstream from where the body was discovered, the creek has been out of it's banks recently.
    Heavy rains through this area in June could have pushed a body downstream that distance.

The creek has a very inconsistent depth range. Today parts of the creek are no more than 18" deep in places and there are pockets that are several feet deep.
    Unless you used the dam as the "put in point" you would have to know the creek well to know where the deep pockets are in order to conceal the body.
    It's the kind of creek that meanders most of the time and seems to stand still in places.
    But when heavy rains come, it rises quickly and becomes a fast moving stream.

When LS went missing on 6/3 we had not had rain for several days. On Sat. 6/4 we had a major storm from the North through Indy in the early evening and late evening it passed through Btown.

I hope they know whose body this is, in any case, it is so sad if they cannot identify someone...

Also, I believe it has been mentioned multiple times that one of the POI went to high school only a few miles from this location where the body was discovered.

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Azimuth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    I hope they know whose body this is, in any case, it is so sad if they cannot identify someone...
    I think they will ID someone. My guess it could be the missing grandmother. LS and grandmother are actually of similar height and grandmother has kind of a silver blond hair that I guess might be difficult to tell from LS blond hair.
    "That investigators searching for an underage college student and a great-grandmother could both be interested in the Fall Creek discovery says a great deal about the extent of the decomposition of the body in Fall Creek and how little police could do to initially identify it."
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...t|IndyStar.com
    Just my opinion

- Imo someone utilizing this area as a body disposal sight would likely have a strong familiarity with it beforehand.
    In other words, they did not just pull off of the interstate and find this in the dark. Imo, they had to know the area.
    This can probably not be overstated. Despite the location being right off of 465, if you were headed northbound, you would need to know to get off of the interstate at exit 40, which is a full mile south of the location.

Edit- though I suppose the creek is accessible from the interstate itself, if you pulled over to the shoulder, you could throw something over.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to bx2 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast