1420 users online (260 members and 1160 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Signed

Have Sword, Will Use

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy113 View Post
    I agree with this petition and will sign it. I've been thinking about something else which might be helpful. Could there be some law passed to prosecute parents or guardians who knowingly withhold information regarding their child's whereabouts and causing LE and other groups to spend time & money to search for that child?

I don't know enough about the laws, maybe this is already covered by lying to the police. But when you think of the time and money spent to search for this little girl who the mother knew had "accidentally drowned" or whatever ... shouldn't someone be responsible for that? Didnt' the Runaway Bride get sentenced to community service & have to pay restitution?

I know, even if this was possible, in the majority of the cases there would be no way to collect restitution. I guess I'm just naive enough to still be looking for ways which could make a difference in the future.

JMO

I was thinking the same thing. Didn't the courts fine "Balloon Boys" parents for the costs incurred with that little circus?

[quote=snowdaze;6861699]
    Quote Originally Posted by Just K View Post
    So, then it could include the failure to report a child's death.[/QUOTE

It includes death or missing.

A comment even suggested retroactive...wouldn't that be nice,
    Don't get your hopes up for vengeance, Ex Post Facto laws apply. Even Iran bans this line of thinking.

In the United States, the federal government is prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 3 of Article I, section 9 of the U.S. Constitution and the states are prohibited from the same by clause 1 of Article I, section 10. This is one of the very few restrictions that the United States Constitution made to both the power of the federal and state governments prior to the Fourteenth Amendment.

[quote=SarahEcho;6862092]
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdaze View Post

Don't get your hopes up for vengeance, Ex Post Facto laws apply. Even Iran bans this line of thinking.

In the United States, the federal government is prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 3 of Article I, section 9 of the U.S. Constitution and the states are prohibited from the same by clause 1 of Article I, section 10. This is one of the very few restrictions that the United States Constitution made to both the power of the federal and state governments prior to the Fourteenth Amendment.

As far as being retroactive? I know that's not going to happen, but we can all dream, can't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy113 View Post
    I agree with this petition and will sign it. I've been thinking about something else which might be helpful. Could there be some law passed to prosecute parents or guardians who knowingly withhold information regarding their child's whereabouts and causing LE and other groups to spend time & money to search for that child?

I don't know enough about the laws, maybe this is already covered by lying to the police. But when you think of the time and money spent to search for this little girl who the mother knew had "accidentally drowned" or whatever ... shouldn't someone be responsible for that? Didnt' the Runaway Bride get sentenced to community service & have to pay restitution?

I know, even if this was possible, in the majority of the cases there would be no way to collect restitution. I guess I'm just naive enough to still be looking for ways which could make a difference in the future.

JMO
    Casey's actions and statements did lead to a lot of costs to be incurred in a fruitless search.

You can be billed for your own rescue if you go hiking in area that is forbidden, billed for the costs of a wildfire you start with carelessness and the "runaway bride" can pay for the costs of searching for her.

I don't know the particular Florida statutes regarding this issue but I don't think it would be at all unreasonable to pursue Casey for the costs associated with the various searches, including to non-government entities.

http://www.ktul.com/story/15034351/o...or-caylees-law

Interesting article on this petition, seems it's gone viral!!!

I just signed...It has 83,900 + now!
    Proud WS N-LIB

Signed.
    If you know that your child is missing you should report it immediately not doing so screams crime.

State Rep. files bill to create Caylee’s law

In light of the not guilty verdict handed down by jurors yesterday in the Casey Anthony trial, Rep. Bill Hager, R-Boca Raton, announced he is drafting legislation to create “Caylee’s Law.”

The bill would make it a felony for a parent or legal guardian to fail to timely report a missing child, in cases where the parent knew or should have known that the child was possibly in danger.

“What we witnessed in the case of two year old Caylee Anthony was truly tragic. Placing a law on the books requiring parents and guardians to report missing children who are in significant danger in a timely manner will ensure that parents are held accountable for their actions. It will also assure that we put justice on the side of those among us who are most vulnerable. And finally, it will put an end to the kind of irresponsible and outrageous behavior we observed with Caylee’s mother.” Hager said.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/new...ylees-law.html
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

This is great!! I also think Caylee's law needs to include not allowing jurors to profit off of jury duty...

Signed
    Caylee Marie Anthony Travis Alexander: Never forgotten

Signed it. 93,124 signatures

Quote Originally Posted by Kavya01 View Post
    Via ShouldBworking in another thread, a reminder of this great initiative. To have a feeling of doing at least something this day:

http://www.change.org/petitions/create-caylees-law

Please pass this on to everyone you know. Post it on your facebook, email to friends that don't have facebook.

Thank You Mr. Bill Hager!!! 100,000 signatures now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    State Rep. files bill to create Caylee’s law

In light of the not guilty verdict handed down by jurors yesterday in the Casey Anthony trial, Rep. Bill Hager, R-Boca Raton, announced he is drafting legislation to create “Caylee’s Law.”

The bill would make it a felony for a parent or legal guardian to fail to timely report a missing child, in cases where the parent knew or should have known that the child was possibly in danger.

“What we witnessed in the case of two year old Caylee Anthony was truly tragic. Placing a law on the books requiring parents and guardians to report missing children who are in significant danger in a timely manner will ensure that parents are held accountable for their actions. It will also assure that we put justice on the side of those among us who are most vulnerable. And finally, it will put an end to the kind of irresponsible and outrageous behavior we observed with Caylee’s mother.” Hager said.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/new...ylees-law.html
    This just completely choked me up. I am going to sign it right now.

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast