Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 58

Thread: PA - Barbara Rowan, 14, murdered in Bensalem, 3 August 1984

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,357
    I know the four girls found in the marsh and the schuylkill river were all shot with a 22 caliber revolver. In the story I found about Beth Smith being shot, Mudman's friend simply stated that he raised a revolver and shot her in the head. I don't know anything else.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,357

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,357
    Other unsolved PA murders:

    Mary Grace Triolo 15
    A ninth grader in the Fairless School district, she was found strangled in Bristol PA on February 20 1965.

    Karen Monhollen 14
    Body found in Lima quarry in Middletown Township. No cause of death.

    Susan Rush 21
    Washington PA found in the trunk of her car in Washington PA, strangled. She was found on Feb 24th 1976.

    Brenda Lee Ritter 18
    Left her boyfriends house in Washington PA, her car was found the next day in South Strabane and her body was found the same day in North Strabane strangled, on May 18 1977.

    Joan Rasperger 15
    The Slickville, West Moreland County girl was found in a wooded area. No cause of death. Nov 1977.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollow For This Useful Post:


  5. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,357
    More unsolved PA murders:

    Delores Dellapenna 17
    From Philadelphia PA, Wildwood
    Disappeared July 11th 1972 while walking to a trolley stop. Torso found July 22nd in Jackson Township N.J and legs found on July 29th in Manchester N.Jin wooded area.

    Valerie Seibert 16
    From Philadelphia PA
    Found on March 4th 1975 on a Wrightstown farm shot and killed.

    Patty Bartlett 17
    From Lower Makefield
    Stabbed to death on January 13th 1975 at Oxford Valley Mall.

    Shaun Ritterson 20
    worked at Bristol Simon and Schuster book warehouse
    Found nude, stabbed and disemboweled on June 12 1978 on a remote Buckingham mountain.

    Earseline Jones 20
    worked also at Bristol Simon and Schuster book warehouse
    Found mutilated and stabbed on the Penn Warner Club grounds in Falls Township PA on August 27 1978

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollow For This Useful Post:


  7. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,591
    Just thought that I would bump this case up. There was some good discussion about possible serial killers in PA. Anything new?

  8. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,357
    This sounds like more of the work of David Robert Kennedy:

    The Post Standard
    September 26, 1967

    TEENAGE GIRL FOUND SLAIN IN ERIE BOULEVARD E. LOT

    Rose Spina missing two days.

    A 17-year-old girl missing from her home since Saturday was found brutally slain at about 5 p.m. yesterday beside a parking area near an old railroad bed at Erie Blvd., E. and Walnut avenue.

    ...said the girl was nude from the waist down and her slip had been twisted around her neck....

  9. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,357
    I think there were at least three serial killers operating in this area in the late 60s, early/mis 70s and possibly even longer. I'm not kidding when I say that if I lived in this area, I would organize a search effort to search the woods, strip mines, and vacant lot/abandoned areas and find all of those girls that have still not been recovered. I know they are there, just not found. I think, and this is just my opinion, that Kennedy is the chief of most of these killings. I think he was only charged with a couple, but he had a very distinct signiture, which is fully recognizable.

  10. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,357
    Quote Originally Posted by marylandmissing
    Richard, they long have suspected a serial killer was operating in that area around this time...When I came to the Doe Network, I noticed a huge amount of brunettes missing in PA while searching for a match for the Frederick Jane doe. I sent a list to the state police here and was told investigators long since believe a serial killer was operating in the area. There was a truck driver interviewed with the Frederick Jane Doe case and apparently he operated in this area.

    MD
    http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/237ufmd.html 1991 Jane Doe, Frederick
    Tracy Hoffmaster, found 1996 not far rom this site http://www.cityoffrederick.com/departments/Police/Homicides.htm
    PA cases:

    1987 http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/51dfpa.html
    1988 Jane Doe http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/461ufpa.html
    1989 http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/899dfpa.html
    1989 http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/601dfpa.html (may be domestic)
    1989 http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/19dfpa.html
    1990 Jane Doe http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/246ufpa.html
    1991 http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/260dfpa.html
    1991 http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/166dfpa.html
    1992 http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/602dfpa.html
    1992 Jane Doe http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/179ufpa.html
    1993 http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/852dfpa.html
    1993 http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/769dfpa.html
    1995 http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1285dfpa.html
    About Goble, he took their shoes ??? What a weirdo !!! I'm going to work on the identity of Frederick Jane Doe, this is interesting.

  11. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,591

    Another article about Mudman Simon...

    Paper: Morning Call, The (Allentown, PA)
    Title: MUDMAN'S LIFE WAS NOT PRECIOUS
    Date: September 10, 1999

    The late Philip Wylie, America's shamefully underappreciated literary titan, came up with the solution to war in a single succinct paragraph.

    Instead of sending innocent young men to slaughter each other, he wrote, national leaders should be required to settle disputes (and satiate their lust for combat) by personally facing off, in an arena, armed with socks full of dung.If you think about it, Wylie's approach would work as well as anything else mankind has devised, but I suspect that greedy defense contractors successfully lobbied against it.

    I read Wylie as a youth and I'm not sure if his iconoclasm helped make me the way I am, or if I was drawn to him because I was already predisposed along those lines. Either way, his harsh logic came to mind when I saw the story about the passing of Robert "Mudman" Simon.

    Simon and another inmate faced off in the arena of Trenton State Prison, and Simon was beaten to death. My first reaction was that the victorious inmate should be given a medal.

    Simon was in prison for killing a New Jersey police officer 11 weeks after Pennsylvania gave him a parole in the case of a murder in Jim Thorpe. (He had killed Beth Dusenberg, 19, because she declined his invitation to be the guest of honor at a gang rape by the Warlocks motorcycle gang.)

    The cop he killed was Hispanic. While in prison, Simon vowed to kill one minority inmate per day. He did manage to kill one, but was acquitted. So there was some poetic justice in the fact that the man who beat Simon to death, Ambrose Harris, is black.


    Before we pin a medal on Harris, however, let's consider his case. He abducted a lovely young Bucks County artist in a carjacking, locked her in the trunk of her car for several hours, sodomized her and then killed her.

    If you say the life of Kristin Huggins was precious and should have been protected at all costs, you'll get no argument from me. I can't agree, however, that all life is precious.

    I never met Simon or Harris, but I have met hundreds of prison inmates, including Pennsylvania's two most notorious -- Stanley Hoss, who lived way too long, and Danny Delker, who is from Catasauqua.

    Hoss, Delker and Simon were remarkably similar -- savage racists who enjoyed inflicting pain.

    Are such lives precious? Not to me, they aren't. In fact, the prolonged preservation of such lives too often results in the destruction of decent people. You may recall the news stories about Hoss and Delker jumping a prison guard and bludgeoning him to death because he was black.

    And the mayhem caused by such people is not confined to prisons.

    Simon's 1995 state parole was intensely controversial, in hindsight, but understandable.

    About 80 percent of American prison inmates are confined because of drug-related crimes. Amid today's drug hysteria, there is intense political pressure to jail even more. That means the system must turn loose killers like Simon to make room for some pathetic junkie who poses a threat to no one but himself.
    Meanwhile, do long prison terms serve as a deterrent? Getting caught may be a tangible fear in a criminal mind, but I bet the difference between short and long prison terms is nothing but an abstraction.

    If long prison terms do no good, what shall we do with those for whom release is not tolerable -- the Mudman Simons of the world?

    In some minds, the obvious answer to that question is too cruel for words. But for any normal human being, death would be less cruel than many long years in prison.

    Therefore, taking a cue from Philip Wylie, I offer this paragraph:

    Limit maximum prison terms to three years. If the crime is too vicious for a three-year term, impose the death penalty, once the defendant's constitutional rights have been carefully, but swiftly, accommodated.

    In the long run, that'd be more humane for all concerned, except the greedy bureaucracies that profit from America having the world's biggest prison population, per capita.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  13. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    202

    Tracy Byrd/9dfpa & Publicker Jane Doe/461ufpa

    I didn't find a thread dedicated to Tracy Byrd, but since she was discussed here, I opted to post the following link. It's a video interview with Det Chris McMullin of Bensalem PD (PA) with the latest developements about Tracy's disappearance and the DNA comparison being done with 461ufpa.

    Link to video:
    http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/pag...tentId=3646429

    Link to both cases on Doe Network:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/9dfpa.html
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/461ufpa.html

  14. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,789
    Hi
    I have dial up so I can not see this video.Can you please tell me what detective mullins said.Are there any news paper articles on what he said.I had looked into this Jane Doe possibly being my sister awhile back.I thought I heard they already checked DNA with Tracy Bird and this Jane Doe and it didn't match.

    suzanne

  15. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,591
    bumping these cases up...

  16. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,591
    bumping up...

  17. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1

    I Always Think of Patty Bartlett...

    ...when there is a fresh new snowfall that is still clinging to the branches.

    I never met her ...but we had so much in common.

    An amature photographer, she went to the mall that day to get film for her 35mm for what would probably be her first snow shots.

    Although I had considered taking similar photos that day, I was also out of film, and decided not to chance driving on the icy roads ...

    To this day, I have not been able to take those snow shots because I still think of her, and how she fought to live that day.

    Patty's murder remain's unsolved, but I believe she was killed by the same man who was eventually convicted of stabbing a woman to death in a motel room on route 13 in Bristol Township some years later.

    This man had also been put on juvenile probation half a dozen times for sexual assaults as a young teenager, but you dare not mention the crimes one committed as a juvenile when he is finally caught literallly red-handed, and is finally old enough to prosecute.

    Although I fear the worst...I pray he is still in prison.

    Rest in Peace , Patty... Someday, I will take those photos FOR you.



    Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    More unsolved PA murders:

    Patty Bartlett 17
    From Lower Makefield
    Stabbed to death on January 13th 1975 at Oxford Valley Mall.
    Last edited by meryl; 03-10-2009 at 04:32 AM. Reason: second thoughts

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meryl For This Useful Post:


  19. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,591

    Bumping Case Up...

    ...due to recent interest on another thread.

  20. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,240

    Barbara Rowan

    http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca...ns-remain.html


    (no date on publication of article that I could find)

    25 years later, painful questions remain

    ...Barbara's body was found 25 years ago this Sunday. Her murder is unsolved.

    In 1984, detectives believed they had tracked down the killer, sources close to the investigation said. He was a neighbor - a man whose own daughter played with Barbara, those sources said.

    But the evidence fell short. The next year, that man was charged with raping a woman but convicted of lesser charges...
    Much more at link. Rest in peace Barbara.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

  21. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indiana [USA]
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca...ns-remain.html


    (no date on publication of article that I could find)

    25 years later, painful questions remain



    Much more at link. Rest in peace Barbara.
    August 15, 2009 02:30 AM
    Its from today, its located at the very bottom of the article, thanks for posting
    +
    Anneliese Michel

    (21 September 1952 1 July 1976)
    [
    second chapter twelfth verse of Philippians]
    ["Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling"]

    Emily Rose


  22. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    123
    Richard - you are the bomb!

    I found an update article in the Bucks County Courier Times DATED 8/16/09 regarding Barbara Rowan - no new clues, just a redo...here are the reporters listed on the story...

    bfinley@phillyburbs.com (215)949-4203
    gmatter@pilyburbs.com (215) 949-4165

    Here are some facts - -

    1 - Upper Darby is no where near Bensalem, PA.
    2 - Could the Mudman be related to the Tinicum Marsh Murders?
    3 - Could the Tinicum Marsh Murders be related to Beth Doe?
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/169ufpa.html
    4. All of these old links are no good - the Doe Netwoek Link is ".org", not ". us".

    Thanks Everyone!


    *

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Unknownlady For This Useful Post:


  24. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    123

    Suburban PA murders - Patty Bartlett

    meryl,

    Patty Bartlett, stabbed to death at Oxford Valley Mall, Lower Makefield, PA 1975

    Unknown, Route 13 motel stabbing murder, Bristol Twp., Pa - "years later" - When? Can you identify this crime?

    Why the connection? Give me some info.

    I am looking for a link to Beth Doe - 169UFPA

    Thanks, Staceyk

  25. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknownlady View Post
    Richard - you are the bomb!

    I found an update article in the Bucks County Courier Times DATED 8/16/09 regarding Barbara Rowan - no new clues, just a redo...here are the reporters listed on the story...

    bfinley@phillyburbs.com (215)949-4203
    gmatter@pilyburbs.com (215) 949-4165

    Here are some facts - -

    1 - Upper Darby is no where near Bensalem, PA.
    2 - Could the Mudman be related to the Tinicum Marsh Murders?
    3 - Could the Tinicum Marsh Murders be related to Beth Doe?
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/169ufpa.html
    4. All of these old links are no good - the Doe Netwoek Link is ".org", not ". us".

    Thanks Everyone!


    *
    Regarding #3, I wondered that myself since mudmad had ties to carbon county killing his girlfriend in Jim Thorpe. There is a lot written about him but in google searches you find most of it has to do with the killing of a cop and also his own death by another inmate, I did see one article where in 1975 he was in prison and requesting work release to either Luzerne County or Carbon County, but he was denied. I think at that time he was in prison for robbery. What I can't find is his criminal history in the form of a time line to see if he was possibly out of prison in 1976, he was arrested in 1982 for the murder of his girlfriend I think he was in prison at the time they arrested him for that but I just can't find out where he was in 1976.

  26. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,168

    mudman:

    Found another article on mudman, on articles.mcall.com, May 08, 1995, it says that Simon was continuously imprisoned since 1977, so its possible he was roaming around in Dec of 1976.

  27. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,168
    Ok looks like Simon was sentenced in February of 1976 to 5 to 10 years, so I guess I can rule him out for Beth Doe.

  28. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
    Posts
    17,645
    The body of a woman, caucasian, probably in her 30's was found across from the Mall Motel on Olde Lincoln Highway on Friday.





    http://bensalem.patch.com/groups/pol...incoln-highway

    Autopsy was today and no word on COD, but so close to where Barbara lived.

  29. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
    Posts
    17,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    More unsolved PA murders:

    Delores Dellapenna 17
    From Philadelphia PA, Wildwood
    Disappeared July 11th 1972 while walking to a trolley stop. Torso found July 22nd in Jackson Township N.J and legs found on July 29th in Manchester N.Jin wooded area.


    Shaun Ritterson 20
    worked at Bristol Simon and Schuster book warehouse
    Found nude, stabbed and disemboweled on June 12 1978 on a remote Buckingham mountain.
    In the case of Shaun Ritterson they did a long article in our paper last year. They believe her Uncle Harry murdered her.


    http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca...c77cd4326.html


    In the case of Delores I do not believe she is connected to any of these other murders. RIP Delores.

  30. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    In the case of Shaun Ritterson they did a long article in our paper last year. They believe her Uncle Harry murdered her.


    http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca...c77cd4326.html
    One of the reporters who wrote that story posted a week or so ago in the Shaun Ritterson thread that they were not able to get any usable DNA from the crime scene evidence, so the case will likely remain unsolved. The uncle who was the main suspect died earlier this year.

    http://www.phillyburbs.com/my_town/d...1ff52494c.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DC DC - Barbara Jean Dreher, 39, Washington D.C., 12 Aug 1984
    By Richard in forum 1980's Missing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 11:09 PM
  3. MO - Rowan Ford, 9, Nov 2007 - Found murdered in cave *merged*
    By colomom in forum Currently Awaiting Trial
    Replies: 458
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 04:01 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 12:18 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 03:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •