Thread: Mimi? Gizmo? NW Arkansas dog home after 7 yrs

Mimi? Gizmo? NW Arkansas dog home after 7 yrs

Sounds like a custody battle might be shaping up.

Missing Arkansas dog found after 7 years (Daily Oklahoman)
    ROGERS, Ark. (AP) — A dog that went missing seven years ago in northwest Arkansas soon will be reunited with her original owner after living under a pseudonym for all that time with another family in the same town.
    ---
    It is not clear what happened to Mimi that day, but some time later, Kim Rafter of Rogers acquired the animal from someone in good faith, renamed her Gizmo, and has cared for her ever since, KHOG-TV reported.
    ---
    (full story at link above)

So - who should get to keep Gizmo (or Mimi)?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

It makes me wonder if Rafter ever took the dog to the vet's for anything. The first visit to the vet, he/she usually asks if they're microchiped and if not, would you like to do so... and if this had happened, she would have said, "I don't know... someone gave him to me."

So.... I think going back to his original owner would be the best thing for that dog.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MagicRose99 For This Useful Post:

Yeah, that's what I wondered too, about ever taking the dog in to the vet's. A bit worried, too, about how Gizmo came to be in the animal shelter - "was just wandering loose"? I'd hate to see someone who'd cared (well, evidently) for Gizmo for seven years lose the dog, but if the original owner wants the dog, maybe she's better off there as Mimi.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Sounds like Mimi/Gizmo likes to get out... I think I'd let her stay with the family that had her for seven years, why create new heartbreak? Sad.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quiche For This Useful Post:

So many dogs without homes and this lucky dog has two who want her. I hope these two owners will be able to come to an understanding themselves.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lorann For This Useful Post:

We had something like this happen with a big old cat-- he was a lovely beast that we had for about four years. Broke our hearts to see him go.

Not exactly the same thing, but did anyone ever see the documentary "Mine", about pets adopted out after Hurricane Katrina? I saw the trailer , but never could bring myself to watch it. Just the trailer left me a sobbing mess .

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRose99 View Post
    It makes me wonder if Rafter ever took the dog to the vet's for anything. The first visit to the vet, he/she usually asks if they're microchiped and if not, would you like to do so... and if this had happened, she would have said, "I don't know... someone gave him to me."

So.... I think going back to his original owner would be the best thing for that dog.
    I've been on a mission to find a way to get some type of protocol for vets that any new animal brought to them be scanned for a microchip. This is not mandatory nor, apparently, a widespread practice.

"Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

Here's the pooch in question: Mimi / Gizmo