Anthony Verdict & Terri Horman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bethlamb16

Reaction score
I have been thinking that based on the Anthony verdict of not guilty and that was with a body that Oregon DA would be even more skeptical of filing charges against Terri for fear the same thing would happen. There is a lot of dirt on Terri but no real proof (as far as we know) that she did anything to Kyron. Do you think this verdict will make the prosecutor in Kyron's case think twice about charges? On a side note, I am still on the fence about Terri but do think the Anthony verdict will indirectly influence the Horman case. What do you think?

I do think the verdict in Casey's trial will indirectly influence the Horman case. I don't believe there is any chance of Terri being put on trial for Kyron's murder, until Kyron's body is found. When Kyron's body is found, it will be so decomposed that they won't be able to tell cause of death, and it will be hard to determine whether it was first degree or second degree or manslaughter. Casey's defense team said that Casey might have been a lying *advertiser censored*, but she wasn't a murderer. If those emails from Terri saying she hates Kyron are true, and are shown in court, Terri's defense team could just claim that just because she got frustrated with her stepson, doesn't mean she murdered him. Many people cite the MFH as a reason that Terri is guilty, but unless LE is able to prove that, it probably won't be allowed in the courtroom.

Some people have also speculated that Casey being a young, white woman is the reason why she was acquitted. Terri isn't young (compared to Casey), but she's a white woman from a (upper) middle class family. Others believe that the jury acquitted Casey because they thought that a not guilty verdict would get themselves more media attention, more $$$, more offers, etc. I'm not sure how publicized Terri's trial would be, but I don't think it would be as high profile as Casey's, so the jurors might not even consider all the $$ and attention they'll get after the trial if they were to acquit her.

I sort of think that potential jury members would consider the backlash from the CA trial. No, it probably won't be as "out there", but I think people have made it clear how they feel about a child murderer set free. I haven't kept up with Kyrons case, i'll have to start reading.

I sort of think that potential jury members would consider the backlash from the CA trial. No, it probably won't be as "out there", but I think people have made it clear how they feel about a child murderer set free. I haven't kept up with Kyrons case, i'll have to start reading.

I hope that no jury would ever convict or acquit a defendant because of the backlash that they would receive if they chose the other option. Also, the backlash against the jurors in the Anthony verdict has been a bit exaggerated. Yes, people are fuming on the Internet and amongst their friends/family and the news is talking about their controversial decision, but I haven't heard about protesters at their houses, death threats against themselves and their families, losing their jobs, being shunned by everyone in Pinellas County, etc. By the time their names are released, people will have cooled down even more, so I can't see it getting to the point where the jurors have to flee Florida in fear of their safety.

I don't think so. I don't think the DA will charge anyone with Kyron disappearance until they have everything they need.

Another thing is OR don't have the sunshine law.

And hopefully they will pick a better jury than Casey Anthony.

I've been very concerned about this for this case and thousands of others. If a jury can't convict on circumstantial evidence anymore, then we're going to have a lot of murderers on our streets. Most of the murderers I know of don't kill in front of other people and they are getting much wiser on how to keep from leaving evidence behind!

We had Karla Homolka on videotape participating in more than 1 murder and she only got 12 years! No jury, just a deal. She has been out for 6 years now.

I think the Anthony case has made me realize just how important it is to wait until they have a rock solid case. Many people have asked why TH hasn't been arrested if she's suspected, why they haven't named her etc.. and the Anthony case has just shown that as hard as it might be, waiting for justice for Kyron, if things are done too fast, he might never get justice.
I think most people are in shock over CA's verdict. And compared to Kyron's situation, they had loads of evidence. Poor little Kyron has nothing to show what happened to him even. We don't even know if he's alive or passed.

Kyron might never be found, and while that would make it more difficult to prosecute someone, it should not make it impossible, if evidence exists without him. Each case is different, and I hope prosecutors will not quake in fear at the Anthony verdict and hesitate in moving forward with their own cases across the country when the time is right. But I do fear that without Kyron, there may not be a strong enough case here; imagine if Caylee had not been found; then the state of Florida really would have had a hard time putting together a case. As it was, they were counting on what they found with her body as the centerpiece of the case.

Even before the Anthony verdict was read, I thought the prosecution would have a hard time proving anything without Kyron's body. Even if they do find Kyron, the case will probably be largely circumstantial. I don't think that the evidence they have right now against Terri would be enough to convict her, so I hope they have some more significant evidence that they are keeping confidential.

I'm glad you brought this up. I tried twice to post something similar the day the verdict was read for Casey's trial, but I couldn't get through, due to heavy traffic & the hacking problem Tricia mentioned on Websleuth's radio.

I have been certain from early on that they don't have enough evidence to charge Terri, otherwise, the grand jury would have done so.

Unless there is a break in this case, it's going nowhere.

I agree that without a body, it will be very difficult to prosecute Terri. But I have hope that what's in the emails goes way beyond what could be explained away by a defense attorney as frustrations/resentments/dislike or even hatred of Kyron. I can't imagine that the police would show them to Desiree, if that's all there is. There has to be something explicit.

The other thing is, Terri is the stepmother, not the mother. While many stepmothers are wonderful and function as parents, I think culturally there's the myth of the "wicked stepmother." So, if a jury has a hard time conceiving of a mother harming a child, I think the "wicked stepmother" thing would play in favor of the prosecution. I'm not saying stepmothers are wicked, or that this is right. But if you have a simplistic jury who can't imagine that a mother would harm her child, I think the stepmother angle would work differently in this case.

I agree that without a body, it will be very difficult to prosecute Terri. But I have hope that what's in the emails goes way beyond what could be explained away by a defense attorney as frustrations/resentments/dislike or even hatred of Kyron. I can't imagine that the police would show them to Desiree, if that's all there is. There has to be something explicit.

The other thing is, Terri is the stepmother, not the mother. While many stepmothers are wonderful and function as parents, I think culturally there's the myth of the "wicked stepmother." So, if a jury has a hard time conceiving of a mother harming a child, I think the "wicked stepmother" thing would play in favor of the prosecution. I'm not saying stepmothers are wicked, or that this is right. But if you have a simplistic jury who can't imagine that a mother would harm her child, I think the stepmother angle would work differently in this case.

I hope LE has evidence and that a jury does not decide to convict because TH is a step mother...that would be a huge step backward in the modern world, IMO...

I do not believe that TH is ever going to go on trial for Kyron's murder. Maybe I am just feeling defeated now but I just don't see it. There was way more evidence against Casey than there is against TH and she walked away. I just don't think they will ever have enough against TH UNLESS someone involved comes forward. But I don't know why they would since it looks like they are homefree. I don't think he is ever going to be found, but even if he is, he will be past any autopsy results being helpful. But I think he headed out with the current from Sauvie to the ocean and never will be seen again.

I know there is a sliver of a chance he is alive somehwere being held or trafficked, but I prefer to think he is up in heaven with Haleigh and Caylee than being tortured every day. I bet TH was joyful when she heard the Orlando verdict.

I've been very concerned about this for this case and thousands of others. If a jury can't convict on circumstantial evidence anymore, then we're going to have a lot of murderers on our streets. Most of the murderers I know of don't kill in front of other people and they are getting much wiser on how to keep from leaving evidence behind!

I agree Kimster,

I feel like the wind was knocked out of me since the verdict for KC. I don't see TH ever facing time if she did this. There is no body, no evidence of her being involved, no evidence of a crime or how it was committed, no other suspects, no witness, no nothing but a missing little boy. What a sad situation for the family and Kyron.

I hope LE has evidence and that a jury does not decide to convict because TH is a step mother...that would be a huge step backward in the modern world, IMO...

I agree. It would be ridiculous to base a conviction solely on the fact that Terri is the stepmother. If a jury did such a thing, it would be a big mistake. My point is simply that the circumstances of the two cases are different in a crucial way. Biases can work for or against a defendant. In the Kyron Horman case, the bias would be working against the defendant, should Terri be charged.

I have wonder if the Anthony case will strengthen Terri's resolve to NOT talk about the case. It worked for Casey.

I was thinking today how ANY charges against TH will be so much more difficult now, since the remains are skeletonized. i guess if you're good enough at hiding a corpse and you can keep your mouth shut, you can get away with killing a child. :tsktsk:

And it actually occurred to me just today that TH & FCA should become roommates....No one seems to want either of them.

I agree Kimster,

I feel like the wind was knocked out of me since the verdict for KC. I don't see TH ever facing time if she did this. There is no body, no evidence of her being involved, no evidence of a crime or how it was committed, no other suspects, no witness, no nothing but a missing little boy. What a sad situation for the family and Kyron.

Same here. Seems like if you just happen to be able to hide the body long enough to obscure the cause of death you can kill kids and get away with it. If they found his body now would there be enough evidence? I doubt it, if Casey Anthony walked on the amount of evidence they had against her.

Sorry if my post seems a little emotional. I just cannot believe how many innocent babies are hurt and how many people get away with it.

The topic of this thread was the first thought that went through my head when I heard about Casey's verdict. I was stunned, furious and then very worried about the impact that the precedent that was set. A few day out from it though, I have a little more hope... Maybe the prosecutors office did overreach on the charges against Casey, maybe they shouldn't have gone for the death penalty, she still could have gone in for the majority of her life. I also thought a LOT of evidence was not used in her trial, maybe it was disallowed, I don't know. There are so many variables it is mind boggling.

It hurts my heart to think that we may never have an answer to Kyron's disappearance, and all the little boys and girls that are missing or will go missing in the future, it worries me that our system is failing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth