Thread: OR - LE searching for man who abducted 18 yo in Lincoln City

Exclamation OR - LE searching for man who abducted 18 yo in Lincoln City

"Police on the Oregon coast are searching for a man suspected of abducting an 18-year-old woman at knifepoint from a popular outlet mall." <snipped>

http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/j...at-knifepoint/

This creeps me out since I'm very familiar with that outlet mall!

Everyone in the coastal areas - PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
    www.twitter.com/kimsterws

In memory of Ron Pruitt

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:

That's scary that they haven't caught the guy yet. The abduction was last Sunday. Frightening that he also hurt two hotel maids. He's out to hurt someone. Here's an interview with the very fortunate young lady. She's a quick thinker:

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Two-br...124971494.html

Teen describes knifepoint abduction from Lincoln City mall

"An 18-year-old is shaken but safe after being kidnapped from a shopping mall in Lincoln City on Sunday, and police are searching for the suspect. CH, her sister, and two friends had just finished some shopping at the Tanger Outlet Mall in Lincoln around 4:30 p.m. Sunday. CH, 18, made a quick visit to her car in the parking garage when a man forced her into the vehicle at knife-point. "He said, 'don't scream or I'll kill you,'" said CH...."

More at link (plus a surveillance photo of the man)

And a slightly different description:

"Police say the suspect has reddish hair, stands about 5’ 10” tall, weighs about 180 pounds, and is missing his front teeth."

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

More excellent surveillance photos:

http://newslincolncounty.com/?p=28528

"....These photos were taken at Samaritan North Lincoln Hospital in Lincoln City. Police say the man appeared to walk in but did not ask for any medical services...."

Scary scary guy.

ETA: Yet another revision of his description (probably from LE after examining the photos):

"...He’s described as about five-foot-five, stocky build with short/receding reddish dark hair, and has decayed and missing front teeth. He has a tatto, scar or birthmark on the left side of his neck between his ear and collar."

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there's something "unique" about his gait. He strikes me as as man with a developmental disability. In many way, that makes this more frightening. But I'd surely think that someone will recognize him as I'm guessing he's local. He looks clean and neatly dressed, not like he's been traveling. I could be totally wrong but I know that gait.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

I am going to read this to my daughter tomorrow. It sounds like the teen went to her car ALONE to grab something really quick. I am trying to convince my kids they need to stay together when they go into parking structures etc. Scary stuff. Glad she escaped/
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    More excellent surveillance photos:

http://newslincolncounty.com/?p=28528

"....These photos were taken at Samaritan North Lincoln Hospital in Lincoln City. Police say the man appeared to walk in but did not ask for any medical services...."

Scary scary guy.

ETA: Yet another revision of his description (probably from LE after examining the photos):

"...He’s described as about five-foot-five, stocky build with short/receding reddish dark hair, and has decayed and missing front teeth. He has a tatto, scar or birthmark on the left side of his neck between his ear and collar."

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there's something "unique" about his gait. He strikes me as as man with a developmental disability. In many way, that makes this more frightening. But I'd surely think that someone will recognize him as I'm guessing he's local. He looks clean and neatly dressed, not like he's been traveling. I could be totally wrong but I know that gait.

His teeth should get him caught. People pay attention to teeth.

What's in the backpack? More clothing? He certainly does look neat and clean especially his sneakers. Anyone can throw on brand new clothing, but sneakers are another story. Unless that is he went and purchased a new pair with new clothing and his backpack holds something else?

JMO he's been locked up before. Possibly a recovering addict? I say recovering because he doesn't appear strung out. Little antsy though. Did he hurt that hand he's messing with? Does he know someone that is a patient in the hospital?

No car? They'd probably have video from their parking lot at the hospital. Obviously no car when he abducted the poor girl.

Extremely dangerous. Possibly developmentally delayed and that is why the victims were able to get away?

God Bless that child. I'm so glad she thought to jump out.

Uh-Huh, Katy keep showing the kids because at some point it finally "clicks" or so we hope.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

Once again, a young woman (remember Paul Winklebleck's victims in Portland?) who made a run for it. She did a whole lot of things right. She went blazing into a stranger's house begging for help all the while bleeding. Bless the man as he immediately helped her.

Lots of guys with DD use backpacks. The way his tennis shoes are clean and laced up tight and the forward tilt of his gait makes me wonder. As does the size of his ankles. I know some of this sounds stereotypical but I've parented a number of similar looking guys. I could be off base.

The Oregon coast is unique. It's not highly populated. There's just a string of little beach towns right on the water. I have a hard time believing that this man is not local. It really surprises me that he hasn't been found yet. I guess it's possible that he took a bus in from somewhere else. I'm thinking that he's "trying out" the knife trick and the abductions from something he's seen in film or TV. I'm really hoping that with the photos and the descriptions by three women, he should be found.

I think it's very interesting to note just how much his description has changed. He's dropped from 5'11" to 5'5" and from 230 to 180. A good reminder of how large someone appears when they have a weapon on you. Bless those three women and their families. This must have been a frightful week.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

The article above makes it sound as if he went to the hospital before the attacks. It looks like the photos were shot at about 2:40 pm on July 3rd and the women were assaulted on the 4th. And he surely is fiddling with his hand/s. I wonder if he cut himself, playing with a new knife or possibly assaulting someone yet unknown and considered getting treatment and then thought the better of it.

FWIW, the Inn at Wecoma (the hotel/motel where the maids were assaulted) is only 2 miles north of from the mall. The hospital is kind of right in the middle of the two.

Did Lincoln City have festivities on the Fourth, where people might have come from out of town with their families?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Wonder if the abductor might have come to town or been out and about attending any of these events on the 3rd?

http://ouroregoncoast.com/coos-bay-n...ly-3-2011.html

"...It's bigger than ever, it's better than ever, and it is returning to its original North Bend home. Held at the Boxcar Campground in North Bend.

Directions: From HWY 101 turn west on Jordan Cove Rd.

Events include but are not limited to:

Bonfires, Grand Prix, SXS racing, Sand car challenge, Drag racing, Girls Exhibition race, Sand Dune Slip-N-Slide full scale poker run, Barrel racing, Adult/kid relays, Kids treasure hunt, Show-N-Shine, 3-Wheeler regatta, Hospitality Tent, Industry Auction, Music, Dancing.

more at link

The distance from this location to Lincoln City is 100 miles. He could have hitchhiked south after the events.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

The article above makes it sound as if he went to the hospital before the attacks. It looks like the photos were shot at about 2:40 pm on July 3rd and the women were assaulted on the 4th. And he surely is fiddling with his hand/s. I wonder if he cut himself, playing with a new knife or possibly assaulting someone yet unknown and considered getting treatment and then thought the better of it.

FWIW, the Inn at Wecoma (the hotel/motel where the maids were assaulted) is only 2 miles north of from the mall. The hospital is kind of right in the middle of the two.

Did Lincoln City have festivities on the Fourth, where people might have come from out of town with their families?
    You had to say "Paul Winklebleck". First thing I thought of when I read Kimster's post. I sure as heck didn't want to. Where is that guy?

O.K. of all things I don't look at dates and times. I'm an Einstein. O.K. Mama so this was before the attacks. Could that mark on his neck be from another attack? The young lady described it as a tattoo or birth mark? Maybe he got hurt while he was hurting someone else?

How different is Oregon from where I live? Not saying DD people don't carry backpacks here and BTW that one he has looks new from what I can tell. Here like on my own block? If school ain't in either they're using them to boost or burglarize. Although sometimes used to carry other clothing so after they mug you they quick change their hats and shirt. "Officer he had on a white shirt (what kid don't) and a (pick a team with a cool logo). Meanwhile as he ran he put another colored shirt on over the one I described, and changed hats so like now he has on a uhhhhh Atlanta Braves hat. God forbid anyone is wearing that here.

That's where the sneakers ome in. My dad tuaght me you can change all that while running but you can't change your shoes while running. True alright.

Definately I'd take your account though on any and all DD mannerisms. The only reason I have ever walked out of an ER immediately is if I saw a hundred people sitting, pacing, eating and complaining they were there for four hours already. Then you go to another one. What is the nearest hospital after that?

The teeth. Please know I am not judging anyone as it can happen to anyone and especially today with healthcare as it is, but if it's not meth mouth it was some poor soul never had proper care. I can't see him in movement, but is he walking with that jail house gait? I call it "the hook". I just have a feeling he's been in prison. Then again wouldn't he be able to pull off being intimidating?

In this photograph he appears to have stuck something up inside his mouth. His cheek is all puffed up. Same side as the mark on his neck.

http://media.oregonlive.com/pacific-...a2e169ab68.jpg

Did he go to an ER for a toothache? Perhaps were some of his teeth knocked out just recently? Did he stick a wad of cotton up there?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

Could be Filly but that gait is also a common one for bigger guys on the spectrum. Physical therapy can help but not everyone gets that help. I can spot it a mile away. Maybe this tells us that many guys in lock up might have some mental issues. Wouldn't that be a shock?

This guy doesn't strike me as a meth user but could be. I didn't read about any theft. But he could have been hoofing it to the area for all the festivities up and down the coast with some plans to check out cars, etc. The teeth are interesting as if he lives in a group home, he'd have dental services. So that idea might be out the window. He certainly didn't try to cover his teeth or disguise himself in any way.

Surely someone saw this man walking around Lincoln City on Saturday or Sunday. Those are some pretty great photos, IMO.

I also noticed that the Mall was having a big sale:

4TH OF JULY WEEKEND SALE

07/01/2011 to 07/04/2011

Celebrate the savings and Shop Tanger Outlets Super Saturday Sidewalk Sale! Stores will have specially priced merchandise on the sidewalk or inside their stores. Don't miss out on this Super Saturday Sale, you will find bargains that will leave you bragging to all of your friends!

Might be interesting to see if surveillance shows him at the mall prior to the abduction. This guy scares me as he's surely not being very clandestine in his actions.

As far as nearby hospitals, I believe that's it for Lincoln City. The Samaritan Hospital Group has several other locations but none within walking distance. The little beach towns are quite spread out:

Newport has a hospital and it's 25 miles south. North Bend does too. It's the place with all the events that weekend. It's 100 miles north. Otherwise, he'd have to head inland (to the east) and go to Corvallis. They have several hospitals. There's lots of clinics but this was a Saturday.

Whoa--I hadn't seen that one. Looks like either a chaw of tobacco or possibly a packed toothache. But what would cause him to turn away? These photos were taken the day before he corralled the maids and abducted the young women.

Long long shot but I saw the following. This fight occurred the day before the guy showed up in Lincoln City:

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Teen-s...124911189.html

Gresham man fights off attackers with knife

Gresham's 100 miles away too.

ETA: I sure wish LE would be more definitive with the description. Sounds like all the commenters on the Oregonian site are still thinking this guy's 5'11" but it's been changed it to 5'5". That's a huge difference.
    Last edited by Missizzy; 07-10-2011 at 05:37 AM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Exclamation Hello

Izzy at your link there's comments after it. Either the second or third comment down what does the poster say? Do you know one of the victims threw a large container of chewing (whatever ya call that spit) over the fence at them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the chances? Maybe a whole lot or maybe not many? I think you may be on to something there and LE would have the guys name, right?

Look at this photo at a larger size. I don't think that's a tattoo. I think the guy was cut. JMO. Would make sense he'd walk in to a hospital further away to seek help for an injury. Especially if after being arrested he beat it out of his own town.

http://kptv.images.worldnow.com/images/15020970_BG1.jpg

Duh. The adults from the attack were pictured. None of them are that guy from the abduction. Plus it sounds like only the 15 year old was cut.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

You're right, Filly. I hadn't seen that. Surely, OR is checking out a connection. Maybe I should call it in but it literally came up right at the top when I was googling the abduction. Gresham (a suburb of Portland) is 100 miles but maybe he hitched a ride. Maybe he's got family in the area. Just to be sure, I looked up the victim, who is named. It's surely not him and he's the one who supposedly disposed of some "used saliva".

Not that many guys I see here in Oregon chew or dip....unless they're into rodeo...and that's primarily out in the far eastern part of the state. Far away from the coast or Portland. Not to say that there's not some guys and gals who do. I saw it all the time in Texas and it's kind of refreshing not to have spit everywhere up here. You just have to acclimate to a funny skunky odor, though, up this way. LOL.

While researching this abduction, I ran across another. I'm going to start a new thread about Texas.
    Last edited by Missizzy; 07-10-2011 at 05:59 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

I wonder where that first article about the chewing tobacco went? I've looked and I don't see it. It sounds as if the victim wanted to chase the boys off and then it turned ugly. If they reported that the victim dumped a container of saliva on them, why would they remove that from updated articles? Maybe, LE determined that it didn't happen? FWIW, that article first ran on July 2nd and was updated on the 3rd.

I seriously doubt, though, that this is connected to the Lincoln City abduction.....unless one of the suspects got away and headed for the coast. I agree that the mark on the guy's neck looks like an injury. He also seems to be massaging his hands as if they hurt. That could also be a sign of anxiety.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

I wonder where that first article about the chewing tobacco went? I've looked and I don't see it. It sounds as if the victim wanted to chase the boys off and then it turned ugly. If they reported that the victim dumped a container of saliva on them, why would they remove that from updated articles? Maybe, LE determined that it didn't happen? FWIW, that article first ran on July 2nd and was updated on the 3rd.

I seriously doubt, though, that this is connected to the Lincoln City abduction.....unless one of the suspects got away and headed for the coast. I agree that the mark on the guy's neck looks like an injury. He also seems to be massaging his hands as if they hurt. That could also be a sign of anxiety.
    It's still there as a comment at your link. LouLou posted it two down from top.

JMO, but he has something in his hand. I think it's either a cell phone or maybe a can? They blocked it out in one photo.

Sadly I think that guy is long gone now. Hoping they find him before he hurts someone or worse.

Does that chewing stuff ruin your teeth? Just wondering if it's that or someone knocked his teeth out during a struggle?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

I see the comment. Here's a snip:

"....The first story on this incident included an important part.The victims threw a large container of spit from chewing tobacco over the fence...."

But what I'm looking for is the "first story" or article to which Loulou refers. They've updated the story and must have stricken that tidbit from the current article. I can't find any reference to chewing tobacco when I google info about the fight....at any source.

And yes, chewing tobacco and/or snuff can seriously rot teeth. This guy's a little young to have lost teeth to it, however. Usually, it happens after several decades of use. It also is a welcome mat for tongue and throat cancer. Not a good alternative to smoking tobacco AT ALL.

I agree about something being in the guy's hand. Could he be fiddling with a homemade bandage? And why would they block it out. Might it have a name on it or something very recognizable?

Here's the article which mentions chewing tobacco:

http://www.kgw.com/home/Victims-desc...124971304.html

Victims describe Gresham mob attack

"....M [the victim] said he tossed a pop bottle full of tobacco spit over the fence, not realizing the men were on the other side. “They were running, jumped over the fence,” said M. “They were like ‘I'm going to kill you, beat you up.’” M says he tried to walk away, but the men followed him into his apartment and beat him...."

more at link

A couple of things. I doubt that this fight is connected, the more I read. Secondly, I highly doubt that the guy really didn't know the guys were there. Right.

Sounds like they got him!!!

http://www.oregonlive.com/forest-gro...ln_county.html

Man accused of July 3 parking garage kidnapping arraigned in Lincoln County
    July 25, 2011

"A man accused of kidnapping and beating a teenager earlier this month in Lincoln City was arraigned Monday. Lincoln City police located the suspect, 28-year-old Shawn William Griep, Friday in an Otis home thanks to an anonymous tip, said Lt. Jerry Palmer, a police spokesman. Officers found Griep hiding in a closet and arrested him without incident. Palmer said Griep also was wanted on a parole violation from California.

and

"....Griep was charged Monday with kidnapping, robbery, assault, attempted sodomy and unauthorized use of a vehicle...."

More at link

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

http://www.myspace.com/353892171

Not so great to find out that he knows how to hang on to young girls. That's more than a little creepy.

More info coming out:

http://newslincolncounty.com/?p=29852

LC Police: Tanger kidnapper same man who commandered employees at Inn at Wecoma

"Lincoln City Police say the man they arrested for kidnapping a Portland area woman at knife-point July 3rd at the Tanger Outlet Mall is the same man who temporarily commandeered two employees at the Inn at Wecoma earlier in the day. Police say they are compiling their information on that part of the case against Shawn Griep who was arrested over the weekend at a residence in the Otis area...."

more at link (plus mug shot)

Being that Griep has a parole violation from California, Ms. Filly was correct. He has been incarcerated in the past, it seems. Looks like he's lived in San Pablo and Roseville, CA.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

http://www.myspace.com/353892171

Not so great to find out that he knows how to hang on to young girls. That's more than a little creepy.
    EWWWWW! So glad there was a citizen out there who cared enough to tip off the police and get this guy off the streets... he was escalating FAST and who knows what he might have done next.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reen For This Useful Post:

More info coming out:

http://newslincolncounty.com/?p=29852

LC Police: Tanger kidnapper same man who commandered employees at Inn at Wecoma

"Lincoln City Police say the man they arrested for kidnapping a Portland area woman at knife-point July 3rd at the Tanger Outlet Mall is the same man who temporarily commandeered two employees at the Inn at Wecoma earlier in the day. Police say they are compiling their information on that part of the case against Shawn Griep who was arrested over the weekend at a residence in the Otis area...."

more at link (plus mug shot)

Being that Griep has a parole violation from California, Ms. Filly was correct. He has been incarcerated in the past, it seems. Looks like he's lived in San Pablo and Roseville, CA.
    Day-um that is one frightening looking dude. I am so glad they caught him. More glad that young girl jumped out. Thankful the hotel employees were not hurt.

O.K. obvious question............just what in the he77 was this guy up to? What was he doing in an ER?

He's also lived in Ponca City, Oklahoma. He's a right traveling man this harmful person.

As always I have to say I am not the brightest bulb, but there's something in that "hook" usually screams convict. They call it something like hook swagger or something.

On top of it all what were his priors and where'd he get the loot for all the new clothing?

Thanks to the person who called that in. They may have saved a life.