1057 users online (256 members and 801 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Carmageddon!

This weekend, July 16th and 17th, Los Angeles will be closing down the 405 freeway for a 10 mile stretch to widen the Mulholland Bridge from 4 lanes to 5! They have penned this closure "Carmageddon"! Businesses are panicking saying they will lose so much business in the one weekend period it will hurt their sales for the month. They have even brought Erik Estrada (Who?) out of retirement to do a public service announcement. Some officials have even scared the public into saying this closure could shut the 405 all the way down to the mexican border. Then, if that's not enough they will be doing this again in a few weeks to do the south side of the bridge. Would you stay home that weekend or just say Hiogwash and maneuver your way through side streets to get your Big Mac that is calling your name!

http://thecityfix.com/blog/carmagedd...traffic-chaos/
    "I am confident that, in the end, common sense and justice will prevail. I'm an optimist, brought up on the belief that if you wait to the end of the story, you get to see the good people live happily ever after."

Quote Originally Posted by DollyPardonMe View Post
    This weekend, July 16th and 17th, Los Angeles will be closing down the 405 freeway for a 10 mile stretch to widen the Mulholland Bridge from 4 lanes to 5! They have penned this closure "Carmageddon"! Businesses are panicking saying they will lose so much business in the one weekend period it will hurt their sales for the month. They have even brought Erik Estrada (Who?) out of retirement to do a public service announcement. Some officials have even scared the public into saying this closure could shut the 405 all the way down to the mexican border. Then, if that's not enough they will be doing this again in a few weeks to do the south side of the bridge. Would you stay home that weekend or just say Hiogwash and maneuver your way through side streets to get your Big Mac that is calling your name!

Wouldn't you know we have to drive into the city on Saturday to pick up our daughter in Long Beach? I'm pretending the effects won't be felt so far South, but they don't call it the "Four or Five MPH Freeway" for nothing!

On the second evening of the L.A. Riots in the early 90s, it took me so long to get down the 405 from UCLA to Venice that I finally gave up and drove my jeep over the curb and down the side of an overpass.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Wouldn't you know we have to drive into the city on Saturday to pick up our daughter in Long Beach? I'm pretending the effects won't be felt so far South, but they don't call it the "Four or Five MPH Freeway" for nothing!

On the second evening of the L.A. Riots in the early 90s, it took me so long to get down the 405 from UCLA to Venice that I finally gave up and drove my jeep over the curb and down the side of an overpass.
    Yeah, hopefully Long Beach will be safe!
    "I am confident that, in the end, common sense and justice will prevail. I'm an optimist, brought up on the belief that if you wait to the end of the story, you get to see the good people live happily ever after."

That's why I love my small little town. A traffic jam is 20 cars. Waiting at a light for more than ten minutes is an outrage. If you do get caught in a traffic jam it's so beautiful you just look around for 9 minutes and then you're off. Well enjoy California, I'll be thinking about you as I'm going 65 down the highway.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

Carmageddon - 405 Closure Construction Cam

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/feature?...FRE3gwodHwZF0Q

If they don't make their deadline the contractor is being charged a HUGE sum.Like 72K per hour or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post

It is beautiful along the coast this weekend, take 241 to 133 stop at the Sawdust Festival then go up PCH!

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    Carmageddon - 405 Closure Construction Cam

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/feature?...FRE3gwodHwZF0Q

If they don't make their deadline the contractor is being charged a HUGE sum.Like 72K per hour or something like that.
    isn't there just a little bit of you that gets pissed off that they CAN do something like this in a weekend? Instead of the way it's normally done?

Quote Originally Posted by DollyPardonMe View Post

I wonder if the people up in LA know that the 405 doesn't go all the way to Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie09 View Post
    I wonder if the people up in LA know that the 405 doesn't go all the way to Mexico?
    LOL - that's what I thought. Living in San Diego because the 5 ends (or begins) in Orange County then turns into the 5. Once you get to Carmel Valley it splits with the 5 and 805 -- which routes lead to Mexico.

The 405 is is a major north–south Interstate Highway in Southern California. It is a bypass of Interstate 5, running along the western areas of the Greater Los Angeles Area from Irvine to near San Fernando.

Not even close to Mexico - LOL.

Mel

ETA a friend of mine had to take someone to LAX today. 1 way trip was 4 hours! EGADS.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie09 View Post
    In the age of the Internet, why do people lie about easily verifiable facts?
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

Question

How long is Carmaggeddon supposed to last? I'm coming down to So. Cal the 2nd week in August. Will it be over by then??? P.S. the strip by Mulholland Drive/Westwood is always bad! A good alternative is Sepulveda Blvd.
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    How long is Carmaggeddon supposed to last? I'm coming down to So. Cal the 2nd week in August. Will it be over by then??? P.S. the strip by Mulholland Drive/Westwood is always bad! A good alternative is Sepulveda Blvd.
    Word is the freeway will open back up before Monday morning commute at 5:00 AM. I expect to see some lingering effects for a couple days.

It's nice to hear that most people hunkered down and avoided the freeways thus far. It's not turning into the nightmare many expected. By far Friday has been the worst, with everyone trying to get in/out before construction.

it seemed like the crisis of “Carmageddon,” as it was called, might end up being averted, or at least exaggerated.

Mel

As the mayor’s helicopter circled low over the bridge, the extent of the demolition was clear and city officials said they were hopeful that construction crews would be done before the goal of 5 a.m. Monday.

You know, the rest of the world can laugh, but after living in Los Angeles for two decades I can assure you Los Angelenos are very much in on the joke of "Carmageddon."

Yet compared to drivers in NYC, in my experience, LA drivers do try to heed warnings and, when possible, avoid gridlock.

The bridge is open!! Just heard a news person call it Carmaheaven! I guess everyone listened to the warnings and stayed home which made the bridge being rebuilt in record time a success!!

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-07-16/u...pital?_s=PM:US

wow, much like Y2K, seems as if the catastrophic effects anticipated were greatly overestimated, lol. Glad ya'll survived Carmegedon

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock